Need help deciding/purchasing on a trailer

soon2be

Donating Member
Registered
I'm considering purchasing a trailer.  I would prefer an enclosed trailer.  I will be pulling it with a Dodge Ram Van (5.9L).  I haven't installed a hitch yet.  It has ground effects, so the rear valence with have to be cut to accommodate the hitch.  

So what should I look for?  What questions should I ask.  What size? What feature or options do I need?  It's been many years since I pulled a trailer, so it may take some practice to get the hang of it.  

Primarily, the trailer will be used for one bike, but the ability to carry two would be nice.  Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions that you may have.

<!--EDIT|soon2be
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134350622 -->

Minimunm size for two bikes is a 5 X 10 in my opinion. Bikes will be 6" apart at the bars and you'll have room for storage behind them for support stuff. Dragging it behind a mini van will not be problematic with the narrow width. 6 X 12 is deal for most but it will be wider than your van which will make backing up interesting. Features ... Stone guard IMO is a waste of money but is attractive. Top vent ... uhhh why? Side door ... Absolutely rear ramp ... DUH! Torsion axles provide the smoothest ride for your cargo. 3500 lb axle minimum. Interior lights are a good thing. 3/4 thickness on the floor is a must. 16" centers on the wall studs. make sure the doors are sturdy and have a very good locking system. The factory style key locking handles are a joke. Get something that accepts a heavy duty Padlock. make sure the 15" tires are rated for trailer use. those designated as trailer use have thicker sidewalls and carry more weight better and longer. that should get you in the ball park of a god trailer. if you find a trailer meeting all of these requirements the other goodies will already be there. Don't think it's gonna be cheap either. You're looking at 2K and better

class three minimum ...no matter what you get the hitch for...it will find other uses on it's own.
wink.gif

the stoneguard also keep water and other debris from pounding the front edge of the trailer...unprotected, it will leak eventually.
that extra bit of metal will also allow for the mounting and securing of other obejects you will want down the road.

<!--EDIT|BusaCruise
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134350969 -->

You may be able to find receiver hitch designed for use with a roll pan. My .02 on the trailer goes along with all above with the exception of width. I have a 13x7 and would not want anything narrower to haul two bikes side by side. Anything narrower and I would stagger the bikes.

I'm considering purchasing a trailer.  I would prefer an enclosed trailer.  I will be pulling it with a Dodge Ram Van (5.9L).  I haven't installed a hitch yet.  It has ground effects, so the rear valence with have to be cut to accommodate the hitch.  

So what should I look for?  What questions should I ask.  What size? What feature or options do I need?  It's been many years since I pulled a trailer, so it may take some practice to get the hang of it.  

Primarily, the trailer will be used for one bike, but the ability to carry two would be nice.  Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions that you may have.
tounge.gif

Seriously a few things to look for:
 6X10 is a great size for two bikes.
 The bigger the tires the better.  The smaller the tires the slower you should tow it.  At highway speeds you will heat up the tires and bearings quickly and shorten their life span.
 Torsion axles are much better then leaf springs.  They don't bounce at all and it makes for a much more stable ride.  I have towed mine up to 80mph both loaded and empty and you can't even tell it's there.  
 A ramp rear door is the only way to go.  It just makes it that much easier to load and unload.
 Spend the money and get good wheel chocks. A little pricey but this is the best way to go.  

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134353976 -->

Don't make the same mistake I did, WAY overbought. 22' Hallmark v-nose, 7000gvw = heavy-ass trailer and bad fuel mileage. After four bikes, tools gear and beer you can still have a party in it with a dozen attending. Hard to manuver around, takes a football field to turn around. First clue: 5/16" ball. Unless you need it for other business, I would go with a light weight 16'. Lowes has some nice inexpensive units.

Don't make the same mistake I did, WAY overbought. 22' Hallmark v-nose, 7000gvw = heavy-ass trailer and bad fuel mileage. After four bikes, tools gear and beer you can still have a party in it with a dozen attending. Hard to manuver around, takes a football field to turn around. First clue: 5/16" ball. Unless you need it for other business, I would go with a light weight 16'. Lowes has some nice inexpensive units.
man that big ole truck wasnt gonna get much more than 9mpg anyway
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

seroiusly though, that was a big anus trailer
wow.gif

<!--EDIT|zukracer
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134573827 -->

laugh.gif

I'm considering purchasing a trailer. I would prefer an enclosed trailer. I will be pulling it with a Dodge Ram Van (5.9L). I haven't installed a hitch yet. It has ground effects, so the rear valence with have to be cut to accommodate the hitch.

So what should I look for? What questions should I ask. What size? What feature or options do I need? It's been many years since I pulled a trailer, so it may take some practice to get the hang of it.

Primarily, the trailer will be used for one bike, but the ability to carry two would be nice. Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions that you may have.
tounge.gif

Seriously a few things to look for:
6X10 is a great size for two bikes.
The bigger the tires the better. The smaller the tires the slower you should tow it. At highway speeds you will heat up the tires and bearings quickly and shorten their life span.
Torsion axles are much better then leaf springs. They don't bounce at all and it makes for a much more stable ride. I have towed mine up to 80mph both loaded and empty and you can't even tell it's there.
A ramp rear door is the only way to go. It just makes it that much easier to load and unload.
Spend the money and get good wheel chocks. A little pricey but this is the best way to go.
Exactly!

6 x 10 is a great size for two bikes.
7 x 14 is even better, and will squeeze 3 bikes.

Do look for torsion bar axles.
Don't buy one at lowes or hoome depot.

Compare frames when you are looking at them. I am fond of Timberwolf trailers, but car mate, hallmark, and some others make great stuff too. Get the biggest one you can pull, and the nicest one you can afford. You wont regret it. You can buy them just like cars. 5 year loans and every thing, that makes em Cheap!

Also there is a huuuuuge price difference between 6 foot wide and 7 foot wide. 7 footers require dual axles and brakes, that bumps the price up 1500 bucks. Not all 6 footers have brakes, but I would definatley encourage you to get one with brakes.

If your anywhere nearby Check out Leonards in Ohio. Huge selection of top notch trailers.

Good luck dog!

Something else to look for is rear stabilizers. Without them, the trailer has to be hooked up to your vehicle to be loaded. They look like jack stands under the trailer just forward of the ramp. Loaded the trailer could sit by itself, unloaded the trailer could sit by itself, but as soon as you put weight on the ramp, if you don't have stabilizers, the trailer front will come off the ground....
Just my .02 (it's a physics thing....)

Look around and take your time! Everything mentioned above is good info, I found and converted and old U-haul trailer (enclosed) to hall one bike for less than $800.......

Back