Need Engine Help!!!!

hitchedup21

Registered
Hey Everyone

Need a little help here doing some troubleshooting… I have a 1999 Busa that I am working on for a friend. Something happened with the transmission that caused it to brake the case, so in lieu of trying to fix it he just bought a complete replacement engine. The replacement engine was bought at a reliable salvage company and we were told the engine ran. The (replacement) new engine is a 2007 model. I completed installing the engine and attempted to start it but it will not start. The engine turns over without issue and from time to time I can get a pop out of the exhaust like it wants to start. I have also encountered some blow back out of the air box. I have checked for spark at all cylinders and they all have good spark. When I pull the plugs after attempting to start the engine they are wet with fuel and the fuel pump is running as it should. I have went back over my installation and checked everything that I worked on checking for errors (Harness plugs not completely together & what not) and all of that checks out fine. With some of the obvious signs it leads me to believe that it seems like the timing may be off??? Not sure how that could have happened if the engine ran and was not taken apart. Also any thought that the computer for the 99 bike doesn’t work with a 07 engine? I thought I may have read somewhere about there being a different ignition system in the 99-00 bikes then in the 01+ bikes? Any help would be great thanks

You might need an ecu from a newer model, I think 2003 or newer, not sure though, I'm sure someone will chime in soon..

There are some differences between the '99 and '03 and up Gen1 models. 16-bit vice 32-bit, so as stated above the ECU is probably the culprit.

Thanks for the input... this is what I was thinking but wanted to get a other opinions. any other thoughts please let me know

ecu is different and must be changed. For some reason i think the harness too but i cant remember. I believe there is something with the charging system as well.

Update:

I was able to talk to the salvage yard where the engine came from today and they are confirming that the ECU is the problem. However they suggested that I can still use that engine and that I need to take the stator cover off and behind the flywheel there is a gear or sensor that is causing the issue. They said that I can swap the problem part with the one from the old motor and that will solve the problem.

Any thoughts....

Change the crank rotor aka flywheel. It is behind the stator. Stator sensor is NOT the problem. Change the flywheel and she will run I promise.
If u need any additional help text me

Update:

I was able to talk to the salvage yard where the engine came from today and they are confirming that the ECU is the problem. However they suggested that I can still use that engine and that I need to take the stator cover off and behind the flywheel there is a gear or sensor that is causing the issue. They said that I can swap the problem part with the one from the old motor and that will solve the problem.

Any thoughts....
Change the rotor and be done

Thanks for the help guys!!!! This worked as you stated, changed the rotor and it fired up. Now I have to fix an oil leak from an oil cooler bolt that won’t seem to tighten up. Not sure what happened with this, it is the line that attaches to the oil pan. Anyone else encountered this problem?

You have long and short bolts on the oil cooler. If it required a long and you used a short you could have stripped the threads. Look closely at the thickness of the line flanges. Pretty sure the one that bolts to the oil pan is thick. Therefore requiring a long bolt.

Back