need a few good ideas on how to get

psycobusa

Registered
i switched the 3 phillips screws that attach the chainguard to the swingarm with allen screws to make it easier to take off an on. anyway on the screw closest to the axle nut got tightened to much. if you have ever noticed the bolt screws into a threaded sleeve which is attached to the swingarm. somehow the sleeve broke free and now when i turn on the screw, the sleeve turns also. i need to figure a way to make the sleeve stationary while i back the screw out and after i accomplish that ill have to find a way to make the sleeve stay stationary in the swingarm hole. anyone have any ideas
rock.gif

Only thing thatg I can think of is to jam a screwdriver up in there and pry up to try and freeze the sleeve, but you will likely dent it a little this way...

use a small hacksaw blade to cut the screw head off. then you could repair it with a well nut.
mabe?

Fast spinning screwgun (air or electric) with allen head attachment and a pair of roach clip pliers (or flat blade screw driver) should do the trick! Slip the pliers under the head of the fastener and apply upward pressure, now hit it with the screw gun..... If it hasn't moved out enough to do this try using some super glue... But be very carefull it only gets applied to the out portion of the spinning nut. NEVER in the thread portion of the fastener your trying to remove. This should allow you to remove it with a screw gun (won't work by hand)... Let us know how it goes.

Another idea if the screw gun doesn't work. Put a drop of red loctite at the edge of the insert and let it seep in and set over night. Then sray a little wd around the head of the screw and see if it will tighten just a hair more. This will re-crimp the insert and break the screw loose; then try to back it out.

Ask and ye shall have !!  Here ya go champ.

Click here to view

AND Here.

Link not working so you will have to enter these URL's yourself.

Rivet nut insert and Rivet Nut Tool .
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml
http://www.grainger.com/Grainge....1780501

A pair of pliers to hold the head of the bolt still and a dremel to cut the head off
Next jam a pair of needle nose pliers into the bolt hole to hold it still while you carefully cut the lip of the  rivet nut hole in the swingarm off with your dremel:beerchug:

thanks rhythm, looks like a plan  
beerchug.gif

would you have any idea on which one of those threaded inserts would be the right size?

(psycobusa @ Dec. 17 2006,21:59) thanks rhythm, looks like a plan  
beerchug.gif

would you have any idea on which one of those threaded inserts would be the right size?
You would have to take an exact or close measurement of the hole after you remove the bad nut rivet.

Here are a couple of cheap calipers you could use to measure the hole size.
Click here.
race.gif

Give him somtime to order the tools, Playa, but he should be in good shape after its all said and done with my suggested recommendations.

Back