My wife is awesome

i miss my 1980 Chevrolet Citation 4dr silver WITH PWR WINDOWS! and sideways vertical mounted stereo. awesome dude!

we left a trail of smoke behind us, but it wasn't from the motor...

Congrats man! 88' was the last year of T-top's and they stopped building them mid year so they are pretty rare. Looks like it needs a lot of work but the good part is Mustang parts are cheap. I would do a '93 Cobra conversion if it were mine.

What are your plans?

Well plans for the body will just go back to stock except maybe one day I will change the wing to a cobra wing. Always liked the way that looked. The motor, well that will get a few upgrades. I do not want to get to insane with it but maybe one day if things get better, with work or something I wouldnt be against putting in a 5.8L or something.
Yeah the T-tops were what drew me to really liking the car. I did some research on it and it seems they picked the first 2 years from each generation and made a handful of them.

That is the original grill/clip. This is what came on the car and most cars of its kind. The difference was the little slit with the horse but those didnt come till like 90, 91 and usually for the cobras.

And I forgot

Saleen, yes I will be keeping the tailights. I have never really been a fan of the LX series even though there is a few advantages to the car. Even if I had gotten an LX, lol I would GT it out.

With the T-tops I would put subframe connectors in it. Had an 85 GT with t tops it made a big difference.

And I forgot

Saleen, yes I will be keeping the tailights. I have never really been a fan of the LX series even though there is a few advantages to the car. Even if I had gotten an LX, lol I would GT it out.

Big fan of the GT myself. I just really like the look of the LX tail lights. Yeah the open / slit grill was on the LX and the first Cobra in '93.

I think the LX lights look to generic ya know. Almost ilke every other car of that time. Plus they match the 4 cylinder cars so there was always that confusion.

Or maybe because it just darks out the lights that much more lol. One way or the other the exterior wont change much. If i do build it up then it wil be a sleeper.

Been on the SVTP page most of the day and it would be great to get some ideas there but it seems like a bunch of yahoos with to much money or there dads cars. Oh well, like I said I will more then likely over he next year or two up some of the performance parts, just to make it run a little better :laugh:.

With the T-tops I would put subframe connectors in it. Had an 85 GT with t tops it made a big difference.

That's one of the first mods I do to my Mustang's. Especially the old foxbody's, they flex so bad...

What I recommend:

Maximum Motorsports Performance Suspension Packages

That is the original grill/clip. This is what came on the car and most cars of its kind. The difference was the little slit with the horse but those didnt come till like 90, 91 and usually for the cobras.

That grille was on the '93 Cobra only. You can do the mod for very cheap. I'd also add the Cobra rear bumper if it were mine, while you are doing the wing.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-8200F/1987-93-Mustang-93-Cobra-Grille-Insert-Kit

Then again, the entire swap/change isn't bad these days:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/cervini-...intable-coupe/convertible-1991-1993/p/CER373/

Congrats...!!
Alittle nagging goes along way...
:laugh:
Looking forward in seeing your future progress.

That's one of the first mods I do to my Mustang's. Especially the old foxbody's, they flex so bad...

What I recommend:

Maximum Motorsports Performance Suspension Packages

Is that the K-member kit that your talking about. I was thinking of doing something to the suspension to help with the sway and it sounds like this is what I needed. It sounds like it will stiffen up the suspension a little.

That grille was on the '93 Cobra only. You can do the mod for very cheap. I'd also add the Cobra rear bumper if it were mine, while you are doing the wing.

1987-93 Mustang 93 Cobra Grille Insert Kit by OE Ford Tool at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

Then again, the entire swap/change isn't bad these days:

CERVINI GT/COBRA CONVERSION KIT PAINTABLE COUPE/CONVERTIBLE 1991-1993 | CJ Pony Parts

Yeah I have been to both these sites and I hang there all dang day. I could easily spend a few bucks at late model for sure. I only said I liked the wing lol, I would feel like a grade "A" jackass if I made the car look like a cobra but didnt have the power to back it up. The body looks just fine right now minus the one fender and so it will stay looking like a GT. The motor however will not lol.

Thanks though Got-Busa you sound pretty knowledgable, on the subject. Maybe Ill call ya from time to time to throw ideas back and forth if ya dont mind.

The subframe connectors weld onto the front and rear subframe and then bolt to the front seat bolts. THey help tie everything together and prevent flexing. An older Unibody car could use these especially a T top car

Is that the K-member kit that your talking about. I was thinking of doing something to the suspension to help with the sway and it sounds like this is what I needed. It sounds like it will stiffen up the suspension a little.

Yeah I have been to both these sites and I hang there all dang day. I could easily spend a few bucks at late model for sure. I only said I liked the wing lol, I would feel like a grade "A" jackass if I made the car look like a cobra but didnt have the power to back it up. The body looks just fine right now minus the one fender and so it will stay looking like a GT. The motor however will not lol.

Thanks though Got-Busa you sound pretty knowledgable, on the subject. Maybe Ill call ya from time to time to throw ideas back and forth if ya dont mind.

To be honest, I would at the very least do this kit to stiffen the car up. Chassis Brace Package, 1986-93 Mustang HT, EFI [MMCBP-7] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader! There is more to do but that's a start. If you don't want to do all that, these are just the full length subs: MM XL Full Length Connectors : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

You really need to decide if you want to roadcourse the car or dragrace it. Once you decide that, you can REALLY make the car work.

Don't worry about the Cobra kit, as long as you don't change the badges and go around telling everyone you have a COBRA, you'll be fine. ;) It won't take much to pass the power of a stock one. Good heads/intake/cam these days easily change the 302 into a different car. Start with the basic mods and you can go low-12's pretty darn easy.

Post up any questions/concerns you may have. I was a BIG Mustang/COBRA guy at one time and have played with a few.... :laugh:

To be honest, I would at the very least do this kit to stiffen the car up. Chassis Brace Package, 1986-93 Mustang HT, EFI [MMCBP-7] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader! There is more to do but that's a start. If you don't want to do all that, these are just the full length subs: MM XL Full Length Connectors : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

You really need to decide if you want to roadcourse the car or dragrace it. Once you decide that, you can REALLY make the car work.

Don't worry about the Cobra kit, as long as you don't change the badges and go around telling everyone you have a COBRA, you'll be fine. ;) It won't take much to pass the power of a stock one. Good heads/intake/cam these days easily change the 302 into a different car. Start with the basic mods and you can go low-12's pretty darn easy.

Post up any questions/concerns you may have. I was a BIG Mustang/COBRA guy at one time and have played with a few.... :laugh:

To be honest I dont want to dragrace the car. I want to keep it for as long as possible and just make it stronger. Not a daily driver just something for the summer time. Fixing the obvious flaws of the car though is a deffinite like the suspension and upgrades to the motor. I dont think I will ever get to the supercharger stage but lets be honest. While the 225 HP is great in the car and they just feel fast, I want it to be faster lol. Nothing crazy but I want to feel it and I want the car to be able to handle it.

Sides my wife would kill me if I went near the drag strip again lol. I think if anything maybe go the road course route. If I ever do a road course is a different story but I think that is the direction I would go as far as performance.

And thanks Got-Busa, that link you gave me was the thing I was looking for just didnt know enough about it to find it.

Sounds like you've got a fun project lined up. That's how I am as well. I'd rather have a "street" car that does everything well than does one thing great (drag). One reason I'm on the fence about another Mustang. Now that I've got a daughter it would be nice to take her and the wife with me to events. Where if I got a Viper, Vette, etc. we would constantly be taking multiple cars.

Back