My trip to Alaska and guns....

I like the chuck norris add on. Dual purpose, can kick the bad guys butt and keep you warm at night! I was more worried about the "human animals" rather than the other animals. You be safe and have a fabulous time. :thumbsup:

Bears won't be the biggest obstacle you'll face. The road will definitely be the biggest force to reckon with (Maaaaaaaaaaaaybe the weather). And just from what I've seen here, the only instances where bears have seriously hurt people was defending young or food. Surprising one usually evokes a quick bluff. We still have an insomniac "teenage" bear that is still raiding dumpsters in town. Some do get curious and might approach a campsite but so will moose and sheep. And moose can be way pissier than bears. But you can practice before you go by finding the worst gravel/rock road available to you and riding up and down it for 5 to 8 hours a day for a few days.
Regarding guns, yup the US has a history with them but in you statistics do you have a number of how many gun owners have NEVER hurt anyone? Please believe me when I say I absolutely respect your position on guns. I target shoot, hunt and if it ever came down to one or more people than me intent on causing me (or mine) harm or death, I will use whatever tool I can to make sure I survive the contact. If it takes a kick to the nuts...great......if it takes a baseball bat....great........If I have to draw and use the pistol I will know that it was my final option. As we all know there are idiots and squids everywhere that makes the rest of us look bad, doesn't matter if it is as simple as picking up after your dog or speeding and doing wheelies through a crowded street, THOSE idiots are the ones who become statistics and (incorrectly) reflect on the rest of us.
Sheesh, sorry for carrying on like that! Didn't mean to :oh:

Rio

Bears won't be the biggest obstacle you'll face. The road will definitely be the biggest force to reckon with (Maaaaaaaaaaaaybe the weather). And just from what I've seen here, the only instances where bears have seriously hurt people was defending young or food. Surprising one usually evokes a quick bluff. We still have an insomniac "teenage" bear that is still raiding dumpsters in town. Some do get curious and might approach a campsite but so will moose and sheep. And moose can be way pissier than bears. But you can practice before you go by finding the worst gravel/rock road available to you and riding up and down it for 5 to 8 hours a day for a few days.
Regarding guns, yup the US has a history with them but in you statistics do you have a number of how many gun owners have NEVER hurt anyone? Please believe me when I say I absolutely respect your position on guns. I target shoot, hunt and if it ever came down to one or more people than me intent on causing me (or mine) harm or death, I will use whatever tool I can to make sure I survive the contact. If it takes a kick to the nuts...great......if it takes a baseball bat....great........If I have to draw and use the pistol I will know that it was my final option. As we all know there are idiots and squids everywhere that makes the rest of us look bad, doesn't matter if it is as simple as picking up after your dog or speeding and doing wheelies through a crowded street, THOSE idiots are the ones who become statistics and (incorrectly) reflect on the rest of us.
Sheesh, sorry for carrying on like that! Didn't mean to :oh:

Rio

Bears and guns, and the topic has strayed from the roads, which you are absoloutely correct will be the biggest obstacle.
My experience with dirt and gravel roads is alot of fun...but only for a while on a sport bike.
Countless miles will beat up and or cripple a sportbike, as well as your body thanks to a heavy Busa with less than desirable suspension for the job. Sure it can be done, it would just be easier and alot more fun on a dual sport.
Schnizzle, just make sure you're up for the offroading on your loaded down Busa before you set out.
I'm not saying you can't, just try something local first.
Dirt and gravel roads with big rocks and holes can be found just about anywhere. take Rio's advice and do some riding on them for a while and see if you really want to do countless miles on a Busa that way.
I'm not trying to rain on your parade either. I have many years of off road and MX racing, Alaska can only be the same...or much worse. I hope it works out for you.

If she takes a gun she can just blow the head off of some guy driving a pickup truck and load her Busa up in that and continue. Then the roads won't be of any concern.

If she takes a gun she can just blow the head off of some guy driving a pickup truck and load her Busa up in that and continue. Then the roads won't be of any concern.

Always thinking outside the box Saiid!
Excellent idea.

LOL....True dat!! And,yep on the whole gravel roads thing. Having said that I do very much enjoy riding through construction areas on the busa,it handles surprisingly well and I enjoy the squirmy-ness of the bike moving around under me. I want to get my pic at the Artic Circle sign and then head back. I have some excellent information that it's not all gravel north of Fairbanks to there but grave/pavement/broken pavement-gravel mix so it won't be miles and miles of straight on gravel.

I am more concerned about having to pull over on the side of the road in deep loose rocks or going over berms. The throttle is my friend !! And I will be lowering my tire pressures as well. I may cave and take the sissy way out and throw a set of semi-knobbies on my CBF but I have all winter to decide.

I will also be working on my " helpless" look with the appropriate body language in case I drop the bike and can't pick it up....:laugh:

Although this summer when it rolled off the kickstand and went down, I was so spittin' mad I DID pick it up myself.

I will also be working on my " helpless" look with the appropriate body language in case I drop the bike and can't pick it up....:laugh:
I'm sure you've seen it, but there's a video floating around showing how to pick the heavy bikes up. You basically squat the bike up using your legs.

LOL....True dat!! And,yep on the whole gravel roads thing. Having said that I do very much enjoy riding through construction areas on the busa,it handles surprisingly well and I enjoy the squirmy-ness of the bike moving around under me.

and she has the powered attachment point to prove it......:laugh:

SANY2775 (Medium).JPG

It's not Paranoia, it's common sense. I've had a permit for 20+ years. In that time I've had ZERO reasons to use it, and I hope it stays that way. But that ONE time I might need it, I'm glad I have it. Have a fun safe trip.

Firearms%20better%20than%20camera.jpg

:whistle:

Firearms: Always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it :laugh:

and don't think firearm means a win either

The World’s Record Largest Bear | Impact Lab

The difference between being on the menu and browsing through the menu are wide :laugh:

Based on the contents of the bears stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours including a missing hiker.

But enjoy the wild however you like it's all about comuning with nature :thumbsup:

just that natures way is survival of the fittest never forget that :thumbsup:

Firearms%20better%20than%20camera.jpg

Back