My trip to Alaska and guns....

theshnizzle

Rainbow of Skittles
Registered
I can't get to page 2 of my post,same old problems with the site re-vamp, which is why I am almost never on here now, too frustrating. So I have to mak e a new thread....sorry.....

In response to those who suggested I " pack a gun" on my trip,thanks for the concern but while backcountry camping/travelling with a gun to fend off bears has been proven to be the least effective " solution" in response to a bear attack. An attack can happen very quickly,certainly not affording one time to react with a firearm. Also the fact that us urbanites certainly don't often encounter bears in real life so our pucker factor will be tenfold,we will generally just be scared shi*less about a bear in our proximity.

A much smarter move would be to throughly educate yourself about how to camp safely while travelling in bear country,to follow some simple rules about oders,food storage,cooking and cleaning up after yourself, and where to set up camp least likely to interest bears. Bears generally are not looking to " eat you" for goodness sakes,just out of the blue. You will have to work pretty hard to get to the point where a bear is ready to put you on a spit with a basting brush.

I am travelling in thier land, thier natural habitat,and I will be respectfull of that fact, they have every right to be there as do I.

Personally I feel that when planning a trip a little education and research on where you will be going goes along way towards safe and responsible and enjoyable travel rather than racheting up your level of paranoia and reaching for a gun as the answer to every problem. You will be more open to new experiences and adventures when you have to rely on your wits,sense of humour and ,yes, good old fashioned common sense instead of making a bubble of fear around you,it creates negative energy,eh??.....LOL...

I am going to repeat that...good old fashioned common sense.

So no guns, or great big honkin' knives,samurai swords,mini guns or C4 for me on this trip, it's not how I roll ,dawg!! Heck, I have a waay better plan....

I'm bringin' Chuck Norris!!!!!

Hey man as a fellow backpacker I can appreciate your decision. As for myself, I do carry a larger caliber handgun into the woods just as a piece of mind. Common sense does play a factor in what you do in the woods. Looking for sign, being able to identify signs, and understanding what animal made those signs will let you know what might be in your area and raise your awareness. Most times if you keep your eyes and ears open you can normally evade any trouble. Be safe and we do expect pictures!!!

I think more people were worried about you with other people more than bears. At least I was. Girl all alone, with cash, bike, gear in the middle of nowhere. That's all. Not that I don't think you could go all Chuck Norris on someone, just would feel better knowing you had something with you if needed...
:beerchug:

Doesn't Canada have serious restrictions when it comes to carring handguns? Or is it just British Columbia? :dunno:

:rofl:
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Camping smarts do help keep animals away, and bear attacks may not be that common either(I don't know anything about Alaska).
Making alot of noise can scare a bear off, especially the noise of a gunshot. If he doesn't want to cooperate, well, then he might need more than just the sound of a bullet.
It's not just bears either, there are men in Alaska. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but for a woman traveling alone a handgun is never a bad idea.
Aside from guns, you need to at least be looking at dirt tires and extra fuel. What you are attempting is a HUGE deal.
Good luck:beerchug:

Doesn't Canada have serious restrictions when it comes to carring handguns? Or is it just British Columbia? :dunno:

Who cares.
Only criminals cause problems with guns.
Mine would never been seen or even mentioned unless it absolutely had to be used as a last resort.:beerchug:

That's pretty much what that 'bear man' thought a few years back,,then they ate him,,,:rofl: BE SAFE !!
LOL We call him Timmy "Tastewell" he restocked here every once in a while and we all saw where that was heading............

Rio

In my experience living here, unless you want to pack a .458 rifle or something close to that caliber, bear spray is your best bet. I've worked with the 2 major bear guides here and (you call and ask their opinions of weapon choice if you'd like, I'll give you their names) if you are intent on having to kill a bear, ANY shotgun or "high powered" pistol is a waste of time and ineffective unless you at at point blank range. A .38 will do you just fine with any human predator. I'd feel totally safe on the ride by myself and in the summer months you'll be lucky to get a few hours of true darkness so waking up to see what's coming into camp shouldn't be an issue. From what I can tell also, your trek is becoming quite popular and you might end up meeting more bikers than you think!

Rio

In my experience living here, unless you want to pack a .458 rifle or something close to that caliber, bear spray is your best bet. I've worked with the 2 major bear guides here and (you call and ask their opinions of weapon choice if you'd like, I'll give you their names) if you are intent on having to kill a bear, ANY shotgun or "high powered" pistol is a waste of time and ineffective unless you at at point blank range. A .38 will do you just fine with any human predator. I'd feel totally safe on the ride by myself and in the summer months you'll be lucky to get a few hours of true darkness so waking up to see what's coming into camp shouldn't be an issue. From what I can tell also, your trek is becoming quite popular and you might end up meeting more bikers than you think!

Rio

I can't argue with that, and again I have no knowledge of Alaska other than tv, interenet, and books...so VERY limited.
If you had to shoot a bear in defense(aside from hunting), you'de need to be still, aim, and wait as long as you could before trying for a clean and close headshot. The bigger the caliber the better. As you're not going to outrun or outclimb one. Black bears are tough, so I can only imagine a grizzley.
I'de also be more concerned about people than bears as far as carrying a handgun, especially for a woman alone.
I'm in no way worried or paranoid either, to me, carrying a gun is "common sense".
You never know.:beerchug:

Ma'am

Its not the things you can plan on/for that needs to be a worry, tis the surprises that one needs to prepare for the most.

Best of luck and safe travels to you!!:beerchug:

I can't argue with that, and again I have no knowledge of Alaska other than tv, interenet, and books...so VERY limited.
If you had to shoot a bear in defense(aside from hunting), you'de need to be still, aim, and wait as long as you could before trying for a clean and close headshot. The bigger the caliber the better. As you're not going to outrun or outclimb one. Black bears are tough, so I can only imagine a grizzley.
I'de also be more concerned about people than bears as far as carrying a handgun, especially for a woman alone.
I'm in no way wor ied or paranoid either, to me, carrying a g

Seriously, there isnt one of us city folk would be be able to be still, take aim and wait for a clean head shot. with 800 lbs of bear in close proximity? Maybe if you are...........Chuck Norris!!!!!!

I'm in no way wor ied or paranoid either, to me, carrying a g

Seriously, there isnt one of us city folk would be be able to be still, take aim and wait for a clean head shot. with 800 lbs of bear in close proximity? Maybe if you are...........Chuck Norris!!!!!!

I'm not city folk.
I shoot guns.
I hunt if need be.
And in the one in a million chance I found myself facing a bear that was intent on eating me(and I wasn't hunting and the warning shot didn't bother him), rest assured I'de stay calm and wait for my perfect shot. Now there's always a chance I'de still be his dinner, but my odds would be tremendously better.
Calm and cool headed regardless of circumstance will trumph fear any day! If you panic, you will almost always lose.
Chuck Norris is THE man, and I have nothing on him, but I will hold my own. My gun will always be my LAST resort, but it will be there if needed.
Your little city self would much better off with a handgun than without to a MAN intent on doing you harm...forget the bears.
No offense and safe travels:beerchug:

In all my many many travels I have yet to encounter the marauding Mongols that you all speak so fearfully of. Again, it's common sense that will prevail and keeping a smart head on your shoulders, not pulling out a handgun as the solution to every implied threat. Geez, you guys are so paranoid, the world really isn't quite as scary as you all make it out to be. Really......I believe that the majority of bear experts discount a gun for protection but do recommend bear spray and the most experienced carry nothing at all,having enough experience to read the signs of bear activity and take appropriate action without chaos,mayhem,death and killing.

you may also want to look into the repercussions of firing off a shot to scare an agitated or frightened bear.......

Blanca, I know, I do appreciate your concern and you know we will NEVER agree :banghead: about handguns for the common populace,I have very strong views and the statistics of death by handguns in the US are a fact and a long sad legacy of tragedy.

I DO have a knife attached to my belt loop but I use it to slice my mid-day snack of apple dipped in yogurt,yummy!

Not as scary as we all make it out too.......Im going to go ahead and guess you aint never been to 23rd ave and indian school here in phoenix at night, or during the day. It all depends on what your comfortable with. Like someone else said in this thread

Id rather have one and not need it.....rather than need it and not have it

just my 2 cents

FAST

If you don't like guns, that's your right and that's ok.
Please do not label me as paranoid or fearful because I do though.
I have always said they are my last resort. I could just as easily call you foolish for being a traveling single woman without one, but I will not, as it IS your choice.
Even without a gun I am not worried, paranoid or afraid of anything or anyone, and that is not arrogance or ignorance talking. My guns are for hunting(on rare occasion when my friends drag me out), for target shooting fun which we do often, and first for defense of my family, myself, my home, and anyone that is defenseless that I am unable to help without having to use a gun.
I give people the benefit of the doubt an assume most of them to be good in general. I also am prepared for the worst should the situation arise, and that does not mean or make me worried and paranoid...just simply prepared.
I am glad that in your life and travels have not encountered people that wish to do you harm for no reason what so ever, and I hope that you never do.
I myself have, but I've yet to need a gun and I hope that I never do. Unfortunately many people have found themselves needing a gun to defend themselves and not had one. While many people are alive today because they did have a gun, and that doesn't mean that they had to fire it either.
Of course I can't speak for Chuck Norris, but I bet if you asked him he wouldn't have a problem with a woman carrying a gun for self defense...assuming she wasn't afraid to use it should the situation arise.
Unfortunately there comes times when no matter how tough you are, you just don't have a chance without a gun. Even with a gun there is no guarantee either, but it sure improves your odds.

Back