My Mini Trailer Build

Andersson_M

Registered
I have a "big" trailer that i use for my racecar, but i think its just to0 big for one bike.
So i bought this little thing for almost nothing... (and it has been stored inside a barn almost all the time since new in the early 80`s). Very good trailer.

1839283111.jpg

But its short, too short.... at least inside. So i have started to rebuild a little :)
Going to build a "kickup" in the front of the ramp, and make a nice solution to roll the front wheel into.
I`ll weld in another section so the ramp will be full length.

Also need to make a solution to tilt the trailer up a little bit in the front when rolling the bike onto it (long and low busa)- and maybe attach a small electrical winch with a remote to make things a little bit easier to handle by my own.

20171115_153012.jpg

Get (or make) a ramp with a bit of an arch in it, that will stop you from draggng when you load or unload. That's what I have to use to load my lowered harley into the back of me lifted truck, it works great.

You can also save a bit of monet on the winch by starting the bike and letting it pull it' self up on the trailer. I just walk beside mine and slip the clutch a bit and ease it up the ramp. Been doing it that way for decades and haven' had a youtube worthy moment yet.

If the bike dont work...., i can winch it. But probably someone around to help me anyway (this is a dragbike). Winch is the last thing to do if i decide to go for it, but you are right - saving some money if skipping it. An arch is probably nice, i`ll see what i can do about that.

Next up is to make some side-supports for the front wheel.
When finished i think i`ll add a layer of rubber floor in the ramp so it wont slide if wet.
PS: this is not going to be show condition trailer, just cheap and functional ;)
20171117_151059.jpg

Sounds like you have some good ideas, and your project is looking good. It has been my experience that rubber can get slick as well, another idea would be to tack weld or bolt some thin expanded metal down to stop it from sliding. Not sure what would be the cheapest rout for you to go.

Back