My Hayabusa review: From 600cc to 1300cc.

1300RK6

Registered
Firstly, I'd like to outline my riding experience, adding a little more meat to where I'm coming from. So...

May 2013: I start riding at age 21. First bike was a bone stock '09 R6. Picked it up with roughly 9K miles and rode it till about August 2013 before trading it with roughly 16K miles.
August 2013: I pick up my just traded for '06 GSX-R600 (lowered, stretched, -1/+2, Yoshimura exhaust and 750 plastics). Rode it till November 2013 when I straight up sold it. Put roughly 5K miles on this bike.
November 2013 - April 2014: No bike, nothing interesting happening.
May 2014: Pick up my current '08 R6S. One owner, mint condition and less than 8K miles. Rode it regularly until January of 2015 until I bought my 'Busa. It currently has just under 20K miles.
January 2015: Acquire my first bike bigger than 600cc and my first Hayabusa (2006 MY). Park the R6S like the redheaded stepchild it is.

So basically over the course of about one year and eight months, I've put roughly 24K miles on various 600s without dying. So what do I do to celebrate? Go and buy the fastest and nastiest bike $4,500 will get you (hint: 2006 Hayabusa).

What do I immediately notice different about this bike from my previous 600s? It's a lot heavier through the corners but will go no matter what gear or RPM you're at. And those are really the only two points I can talk about at this time. If you thought the initial feeling of speed/power was great on your new to you 600, just wait until you open up a Hayabusa (or ZX-14R or any liter bike I'm assuming)! I rode it for a few days and couple hundred miles before riding two up with the wife (despite possessing a full motorcycle license and MSF endorsement). But once I did, that's where the power advantage really shined. Downshifting was a thing of the past. I'm about certain this thing will leave a stoplight in third gear from zero. The one modification I can't wait to make to it is an upgraded gel seat. I've rode my R6S to Myrtle Beach twice at 245 miles one way, and while it didn't kill me nor was it particularly uncomfortable, I would of much rather taken my car (obviously, having made the trip twice).

So hopefully this will shed some insight into what going from a R6/GSX-R600/CBR600RR/etc. to a Hayabusa is like. Basically, it's a night and day difference that almost requires relearning to ride through anything other than a slow straight line. As always, ATGATT, keep the shiny side up and ride smart!

When you ride a smaller bike like a 600, you can ride it by muscling it around. But with the weight and power of the Busa (and liter bikes actually) you have to ride "proper" , using body position and counter steering to make the bike do what you want it to. If you ride a Busa fast through the twisties, you will be a believer that when you counter steer the bike has to do what you tell it to! I have heard a lot of guys say the big bikes get away from you sometimes. That's the feeling that the bike isn't doing what you are asking it to do, especially in the turns. This is because you have to stay on top of a bigger, more powerful bike all the time. Go into a turn lazy and you might not be able to muscle her into shape mid-turn.

So your 23 years old. :whistle:

Been there - not much fear at that age and fear can be a good thing.

You didn't tell us anything about your new to you 06 Busa - You do realize this is a Hayabusa site don't you? :laugh:
Is it totally stock or not?
Nine year old tires? or 5 year old ones?
Many seat options to choose from. Everyone has their favorite but only you can decided what's best for you.

Where do you live (I might guess FL) As it appears you can ride year round and rack up miles.

Better sell your other bike as you won't be ridding it. :laugh: Unless your Busa is down for mods. :whistle:
Keep this in mind too - a Busa can sneak up on you in speed especially coming from a 600 as I bet you never did 70+mph @4000rpm on a 600.

Post a picture of your bike so we believe what you said -

and :welcome:

So your 23 years old. :whistle:

Been there - not much fear at that age and fear can be a good thing.

You didn't tell us anything about your new to you 06 Busa - You do realize this is a Hayabusa site don't you? :laugh:
Is it totally stock or not?
Nine year old tires? or 5 year old ones?
Many seat options to choose from. Everyone has their favorite but only you can decided what's best for you.

Where do you live (I might guess FL) As it appears you can ride year round and rack up miles.

Better sell your other bike as you won't be ridding it. :laugh: Unless your Busa is down for mods. :whistle:
Keep this in mind too - a Busa can sneak up on you in speed especially coming from a 600 as I bet you never did 70+mph @4000rpm on a 600.

Post a picture of your bike so we believe what you said -

and :welcome:

Easy killer! :laugh: Pretty much everything you want to know is just a few threads below in my introduction thread. But it's a mechanically stock '06 'Busa (with new tires). And no, I certainly do not live in Florida. I experience all four seasons and have the mountains at my backdoor with the beach just a skip away.

See above introduction thread.

you can get your busa to 500 lbs or lower with some work. Subframe and exhaust are the big hitters.

I'm more than happy to give up 75 lbs in weight to get 100% more torque and 60% more power. I'm going on a diet anyway :laugh:

The busa is far more capable in turns than most realize. I actually get a kick out of people's reactions when we hit the twisties and I leave them behind. The typical response is...I never knew a Busa could corner like that. I will say that late braking is a bit tricky since the weight dows factor in. Also, you do have to be very aware of your speed as a Busa accelerates so linear that it can lead you to higher speeds very quickly which can be a challenge on a tight entry section of turns.

Take your time and get used to the bike! Enjoy and be safe!

Back