1989 GSXR1100K Ride Report & Review from Downunder

I like the black/red, and the blue/white, even the red/white slingshot, but man that black/silver is just perfect. There are a few bikes from that time that stand apart in my mind: ZX-10, vacuum cleaner ZX-7, slingshot Gixxer 750 and FZR 1000, but for me, above them all sits that color combo on that bike.
I like all the same bikes.....they had something special going for them....Honda seemed to fall asleep during those years...

I like all the same bikes.....they had something special going for them....Honda seemed to fall asleep during those years...
Yeah, the original hurricane 600 was decent, but they missed the mark with the 1000f models. Didn't really get themselves together until the fireblabe came along.

Kiwi Roadtoad thanks the model i had was a 86 or 88 it had the cut out aluminum slots in the muffler just like kiwi friends black gold one mine was white black blue in color I do have a picture of it with me on it see if I can my daughter to load the picture here :thumbsup:

Nostalgia at it's finest.
True classics from the beginning(some of the first full fairing bikes that looked as good as they performed).
Yes, plenty came befoe these, but to me, there is no time as great in sportbikes than the late 80's and early 90's
They truly started what we have today.
And, $2500 for that 1100!!! What a steal!

Forgot to mention , that bike has full carbon fiber bodywork and fuel tank !!
It was sold off to another mate in NT Australia , where it was the fastest bike around and tracked (road raced ) often till , on a visit down south , it got top ended down the Phillip Island race track front straight by a Gen 1 Busa !! That's when you know it's time to update !!:)
This brings back memories. These can't really be compared to the current bikes. They were a completely different Animal raw fell aggressive without as good a fame & tires. Toad the tail on the pictured bike is breathtaking these bikes have a place in my heart but you have to be on top of your game or they will bite you.

I like the black/red, and the blue/white, even the red/white slingshot, but man that black/silver is just perfect. There are a few bikes from that time that stand apart in my mind: ZX-10, vacuum cleaner ZX-7, slingshot Gixxer 750 and FZR 1000, but for me, above them all sits that color combo on that bike.
It was a wild time for street bikes very exciting & cutting edge at the time. I was partial to the blk/red.

As promised guys, here is the photo of my GSXR from a long time ago, man I was young and handsome in my new black mars leathers haha. This bike I should've kept, but thats life.. Hope you guys enjoy the photo :thumbsup:

Image-2.jpg

Ahhh yes . . . handsome devil, lock up ya daughters type of bloke I bet lol.

heres one of me when I was 30, 1988, and had the TS185 as a fun bike!

1548057452042.jpeg

and here's me on my '86 G model like your old one . .
if you look closely at the chassis you'll notice it's a '85 GSXR750F chassis with my 1052 engine and 1100 bodywork fitted, affectionately known as a '711' Gixxer.
1548057568675.jpeg

That's my buddy's black J model behind the G model. Same one as in the pics at the service station, but below pic is back in 2000
This pic is with the 1100 chassis in original guise
1548057657608.jpeg

Last edited:
Back