My bike wont go over 90!

I think dad put a governor on it and is pretending not to know what the problem is.
smile.gif

If it isn't charging the battery it will eventually drain the battery down to the point where it will die. The high end will go first & it will get slower & slower. Charge the battery & hopefully it will run fine. Then you have to figure out why it isn't charging. Keep me updated!!  
smile.gif
last night i checked the voltage on the battery. When the bike was off i had 12v, when the bike was running i was down to about 11.7. I charged the battery today and now it has 12.6v while the bike is off and about12.2-12.3 when its running. I havent gotten a chance to ride it yet and see if its running better, but that still doesnt seem right. I thought the battery should have around 14v while running?

I'll bet pops pulled a couple plug wires... Gotta start slow...
laugh.gif

Put it on the center stand and run it through the gears. If it doesn't rev past 5000 in all gears it could be a timing issue. Since you have less than 13vdc while running, I'd say your alternator has died, and the battery is supplying the juice to run. Good luck.

Put it on the center stand and run it through the gears.  If it doesn't rev past 5000 in all gears it could be a timing issue.  Since you have less than 13vdc while running, I'd say your alternator has died, and the battery is supplying the juice to run.  Good luck.
i just went out and played with it some more. I cant get it to go past 5,000rpm even in 1st gear now. I figured the same thing, alternator, but i dont know anything about bikes, this is my 1st one. Is the alternator on a bike called a stator? If so where is it?

If the battery was fully charged when you took it out, then that is just a secondary problem. The main problem still has to be fuel related. Try to sort out the fuel situation first & get it running right. Then we will tackle the charging system. Also, I would suggest buying a Haynes manual for the GS. I have one for my FJ1200 & it shows you how to repair everything. Wish they had one out for the busa!!
biggrin.gif

The stator is the alternator on a bike.  Let the battery come to a full charge, then start trying to isolate the problem.  If the bike runs fine on a full battery, it's a charging problem.  If it doesn't run right, it's probably fuel.  Remove and clean the fuel tank petchock and try it again.  Rust can clog up the screen on some of the older bikes.  Also try running the bike in the "PRI" position for a few seconds (anymore than that and you could have gas pouring out of your air filter housing).  If it doesn't change it could help rule out a vaccum leak. You should also check/replace your inline fuel filter.

<!--EDIT|TruWrecks
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110102876 -->

No, its still sittin in the garage. It wont rev up past 4k rpm's now. I bought a stator and regulator from someone, just waitin on it to get here. Hopefully soon cause i wanna ride! hmmmm, maybe i can borrow dad's bike, but i doubt it!
cool.gif

Back