My 1st oil change,a little anal..

Aquaman

Banned Permanently By MC Mustang
I decided to do my first oil change today at 300 miles.Why at 300? cause I have been riding her a little hard lately.
Seeing that my bike is brand new,I decided this time around,I was going to start to keep a good maintenance record.

I saved my recipts for oil and filter,started a file in my metal filing cabinet,and even took pictures in the middle of the ordeal. I like to do all of my own work if possible,and I just dont need any hassles if I ever do need to use the warrantee!
Besides,if I do ever sell her,I know that the prospective buyer will be happe to see this file.
The oil was a lot cleaner than I thought it would be,tomorrow I will check the bolts on the exhaust.
I am open to any other suggestions you may have for 1st maintenance.
beerchug.gif

Check ALL the bolts and stuff,I would also check the stator bolt,for some reason suzuki didnt locktite this bolt,it'll come out,when it does,it'll break the cover and your speedo will stop working.

When you hit 600 or more, check the chain because it will be broken in from new. Might need adjusting a little
wink.gif

You need to check the chain adustment every 100 miles or so when it's new. I had to adjust mine before getting to the 600 mile service. After 2 or 3 adjustments, it will stabalize and go for several thousand miles between adjustments.

As others have mentioned, the chain is a biggie. I had to adjust mine at 200, 600 and 1200. After that you can pretty much forget about it.

Doing an early oil change is the best thing you can do for any engine. For the first 1000 miles you get plenty of filings from parts breaking in. I changed mine at 149, 600 and 1200 and then went to synthetic at 2800. Like you I also have pictures of every oil change including one of the odometer.

Also be sure to check the brake and clutch lever screws and especially the shifter lever as quite a few have been known to fall off...at least on the '05 models.

During your next service, it's a good time to adjust the headlight if it is like most busas pointing to the ground. Also the silverstar bulb is a great addition for $20. It's one of the best mods I have done for the money.

During your next service, it's a good time to adjust the headlight if it is like most busas pointing to the ground. Also the silverstar bulb is a great addition for $20. It's one of the best mods I have done for the money.
Or if you got the green upgrade to a HID. I like the picture and file folder idea. Will do when I get my baby in a few months.

Thanks for all the tips,yes,I forgot to mention that I adjusted the chain last week.It was really slacked.I feel much better now with it.
The little clutch screws/stator screws are the kinda tips I was looking for.

thanks alot!
beerchug.gif

Back