Msf course tomorrow!

kdawg31337

Registered
Well tomorrow I start my beginner MSF course, and I'm just wondering what you guys suggest I prepare with if anything.

One thing of note is I don't really have over-ankle boots. Well, I do have one pair but they're ridiculously flimsy and I only use them while driving to my ski instructor deal in the winter so as to not have to drive with ski boots. They close with velcro.....
Problem??

Wish me luck.

Be very open minded and listen to what they have to say. The class starts out kind of slow but it will pick up and get interesting and fun. Have fun! And what ever you do... dont be a squid and try stupid stuff like wheelies or stoppies... had a guy in my class that thought it would be cool to try and wheelie one of the bikes... the instructors kicked him out of the class...

Make sure you have the boots, gloves and long sleeve shirt or they will boot you out. Just go and learn....don't talk about how much you already know or how many miles you have rode before.

....  Just go and learn....don't talk about how much you already know or how many miles you have rode before.
+1

I had been riding for 4 years before i took the beginners MSF course and i have to admit, i was alot better rider when i was finished there! Learned things I never would have thought of.

i'd take some snacks for the riding days...you will be doin ALOT of riding and it will kinda wear on ya after a while.

GET PLENTY of rest night b4 riding days, you will need every bit of it!

encourage the others out there! Some of em out there have never even touched a bike b4, and even though they might be extremely intimidated in the beginning, their comfort level grows with each pass.

My 55 year old math professor (female) from my college took the course with me and i still swing by and see her new Harley every time i go back home!

Good luck man and have fun!!!

I took the Advanced MSF course (actually the HD Riders Edge equivalent) and you DO learn new things, even if you've been riding for years. I've ridden for 2 years (I'm only 22) and while I was being told I was a natural at motorcycling (What can I say, I'm the bomb... I'm modest to.
tounge.gif
) I still learned some low speed manuvuering skills. As said before, keep an open mind to it, and don't try and stunt.
wink.gif

Wheelies and Stop'ees is bad. The instructor will get very upset with your
biggrin.gif

But for real, listen and learn. Great course!!!!! Good luck
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Make sure you have the boots, gloves and long sleeve shirt or they will boot you out.  Just go and learn....don't talk about how much you already know or how many miles you have rode before.
At least high top basketball sneakers, that is what i wore and the the instructors were cool with it. Go with an open mind and you will learn a ton. I know i was very glad i took the course. Have fun!!!

be on time or early, they WILL boot you out. you'll have fun. listen and LEARN.

Don't go in thinking you know everything.. you'll be suprised what you will learn.

Yes take snacks and water.. it's a long day. My instructor's wife brought us snacks at every break. (God love her)

Have fun.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|LadyHawk
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155418821 -->

Diddo to all the above. And practice those skills after you get out of the course too, constantly. They build a good base for further learning later. Slow, tight maneuvers will build confidence and get you very familar with your bike. I still set up coned courses couple of times a year. It's great fun. Good luck & keep us posted.

<!--EDIT|fasttoys1
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155423245 -->

this is kinda late to reply but the ski boots may be too stiff to work the controls well.  Find a 24 hour walmart and get something different.

<!--EDIT|Professor
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155436692 -->

Just relax and have a great time and be open minded.I learnd alot and I know it has saved my life more than once.

I don't know about the over-ankle basketball shoes some have mentioned.  The instructor's that held the session I attended wouldn't have let that go.  One person was sent out to buy a more "proper" set of boots while the rest of us started the range work.  She came back in 30 minutes.  Everything was okay.

Enjoy the course.  Don't show off.  Display the discipline and maturity to do what is asked of you.  Encourage others.  Don't ride too fast.  Others in the course may not have the experience that you have.  Also, some of the "tests" assume a certain speed.  I believe the "brake test" (accelerate from a stop, shift to second gear, approach a certain line/cone, then apply brakes at that line/cone (not before) to stop in the shortest distance possible) assumes a speed of 17-18 mph.  If you are going faster it will be harder to stop within the distance required to pass the test.

It will be fun.  But, the days on the range are long.

<!--EDIT|HRJR
Reason for Edit: "typo"|1155466599 -->

+1 of what others said. The instructors are riders too, so their goal is to make you safe and enjoy riding as much as they do. I rode for a number of years before taking the course. I learned lots. I've taken the advanced course twice and am now training to become an instructor. My goal is to make others safe and let them enjoy riding as much as I do!

i'm late and you're probably riding as i write, so i hope you brought some food with you. good luck!
biggrin.gif

where are you taking the course? i took the advanced at barnes afb. a few years back.

Back