Motorcycle Statistics

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
Merry Christmas to everyone!

(I actually made this post on another thread but thought everyone should read)

Cstate69, ask where I got the info on motorcycle accidents?

It comes from the (NHTSA) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration which compiles crash data annually in the (FARS) Fatality Analysis Reporting System database. Facts are analyzed, conclusions drawn and reports issued, and every January 1, the process begins anew.

The 2001 FARS report indicates that 3,181 motorcyclists were killed and an additional 60,000 injured in traffic crashes across the country. The 40 and older age group accounted for 40 percent of all motorcyclist fatalities. And what were they riding? Look around - big bikes(more than 1001cc) carried almost two-thirds of the fatalities involving riders 40 and older.

This is not to say that younger riders aren't involved - the 20 to 29 year old group has the highest number of fatalities among all age groups, bringing the mean age of motorcyclists killed in 2001 to 36.3. So What's taking us out? According to the FARS, multiple-vehicle crashes accounted for 54 % of the deaths in 01. Seventy-five percent of those were frontal impacts - only 6% were struck in the rear. This shows that most crashes develop from hazards right in front of us. It pays to be vigilant and watch where we are going! The remaining 46% of deaths can be attributed to single vehicle crashes of which most are atributed to entering a corner with to much speed.

Here are a few of the FARS from Oregon! (All Fatalities)

"Single vehicle - lost control, left roadway on curve, hit power pole"

"Single vehicle - lost control on curve, went over embankment. Dead at scene"

"Single vehicle - lost control, slid across oncoming lane, hit curb and retaining wall near tunnel. Borrowed bike, 600 yamaha, DOA, passenger died two hours later"

"Single vehicle, missed 90-degree corner and landed in ditch. Left 37-ft skid mark in attempt to stop. Helmet came off during crash"

"MC vs. auto: MC rider cut inside on blind corner at speed too fast for conditions, hit BMW head-on"

"MC vs. auto: MC crossed centerline on corner, struck Ford head-on. MC rider and passenger both died at scene"

"MC vs. auto: Rider lost control on curve, too much speed, crossed center line approximately five feet over line and hit Dodge head-on"

Be careful out there guys. Have fun but use good judgment. Insurance data also shows that 48% of all Hayabusa's sold, end up crashed! These machines will bite you in the arse if you don't respect them. As I heard Clint Eastwood say in a move once, "A man must know his limitations"!

smile.gif

Yes, but there are a lot more 1000cc and up cruisers available now then 10 years ago.
Then break down the years of riding experience, training and such not, we extremely capable Busa riders statistics will plummet dramaticly.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

(I actually made this post on another thread but thought everyone should read)

Cstate69, ask where I got the info on motorcycle accidents?

It comes from the (NHTSA) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration which compiles crash data annually in the (FARS) Fatality Analysis Reporting System database. Facts are analyzed, conclusions drawn and reports issued, and every January 1, the process begins anew.

The 2001 FARS report indicates that 3,181 motorcyclists were killed and an additional 60,000 injured in traffic crashes across the country. The 40 and older age group accounted for 40 percent of all motorcyclist fatalities. And what were they riding? Look around - big bikes(more than 1001cc) carried almost two-thirds of the fatalities involving riders 40 and older.

This is not to say that younger riders aren't involved - the 20 to 29 year old group has the highest number of fatalities among all age groups, bringing the mean age of motorcyclists killed in 2001 to 36.3. So What's taking us out? According to the FARS, multiple-vehicle crashes accounted for 54 % of the deaths in 01. Seventy-five percent of those were frontal impacts - only 6% were struck in the rear. This shows that most crashes develop from hazards right in front of us. It pays to be vigilant and watch where we are going! The remaining 46% of deaths can be attributed to single vehicle crashes of which most are atributed to entering a corner with to much speed.

Here are a few of the FARS from Oregon! (All Fatalities)

"Single vehicle - lost control, left roadway on curve, hit power pole"

"Single vehicle - lost control on curve, went over embankment. Dead at scene"

"Single vehicle - lost control, slid across oncoming lane, hit curb and retaining wall near tunnel. Borrowed bike, 600 yamaha, DOA, passenger died two hours later"

"Single vehicle, missed 90-degree corner and landed in ditch. Left 37-ft skid mark in attempt to stop. Helmet came off during crash"

"MC vs. auto: MC rider cut inside on blind corner at speed too fast for conditions, hit BMW head-on"

"MC vs. auto: MC crossed centerline on corner, struck Ford head-on. MC rider and passenger both died at scene"

"MC vs. auto: Rider lost control on curve, too much speed, crossed center line approximately five feet over line and hit Dodge head-on"

Be careful out there guys. Have fun but use good judgment. Insurance data also shows that 48% of all Hayabusa's sold, end up crashed! These machines will bite you in the arse if you don't respect them. As I heard Clint Eastwood say in a move once, "A man must know his limitations"!
It comes from NHTSA... but you got it outta a magazine didn't ya? I remember seein' those very quotes in one of the mags a few months back. Sport Rider perhaps?
rock.gif

That's some sobering info. We've got to be alert to potential hazards and not let our own stupidity get us in over our heads.

riding experience, training and such not, we extremely capable Busa riders statistics will plummet dramaticly.
I think also with the older guys you tend not to wear any helments. I think if they had helments on and not those stinkin bandanas or Natiz helments their numbers would be a lot lower.

Back