MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Where's the post?
tounge.gif

Guess it didn't go thru, Here it is...

Ok, its been a while so I may be a little rusty. But here is goes, the Motorcycle Safety Topic of the week, Lane Position.

I've heard it many times about what lane position you should always ride in.

There are three lane positions, the Left Third, Center, and Right Third. All three positions play a large roll in your daily riding.

I have heard from some that one position is better than the other.

The truth is that lane position should be fluent not static.

The center of the lane is the most commonly misunderstood position. I always hear it, "Oil collects in the middle of the road and its the most slippery". True or False?

Actually it's true and false. Most oil and other fluids collect at intersections where cars need to stop and sit for a while. it normally doesn't collect along the travel roads. Now lets take this one step further, Rain. When rain hits the oil and fluids it washes it off to the sides of the road, so if its been raining for a while all the fluids have moved to the sides of the road, actually making the whole lane at the intersection slick. Think about it, you'll get the gist of it.

I can hear you asking, so what is the best lane position. There is no best lane position, it will constantly change as you ride. No situation is the same and you will constantly adjust to make your self more visible and give your self a better poistion to see.

So I want to make this post interactive. I want you all to post up a lane position and why and when you would use that position and when.

Lets all learn from each other.

Ill start.

Left Third, I would use that when im making a right hand turn. Its sets up the corner for the Outside Inside Outside path of travel. It decreases the amount of lean I need in the corner and allows me to see better thru the curve.

I always ride in the right wheel track when in the number one lane.  
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|Gunnybusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137956728 -->

i was too far right and an old cager decided we needed to share that lane:
ride the lane position furthest from traffic, or parked cars.
ride where cars in intersections can spot ya best.
towards the left. on the far right youll be up on them b4 they see you

<!--EDIT|craigntx
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137959757 -->

In town, I tend to stay on the left third. I feel I am more visible there, and it gives me a bit more negotiation room in the event that someone pulls out from my right..

Out on the road, it depends on conditions. On our ride over Lolo pass last year, we were headed east. The river on our right, and typically a rock wall on the left. The wall blocked visibility to oncoming traffic, so in the left hand curves, I started from the right third, but carried just enough speed so that I only used up to the center...making sure my body did not protrude into the oncoming lane.

Awesome guys, appreciate the feed back. Makes us all think about different lane positions and how it always changes.
biggrin.gif

In town, I tend to stay on the left third.  I feel I am more visible there, and it gives me a bit more negotiation room in the event that someone pulls out from my right..

Out on the road, it depends on conditions.  On our ride over Lolo pass last year, we were headed east.  The river on our right, and typically a rock wall on the left.  The wall blocked visibility to oncoming traffic, so in the left hand curves, I started from the right third, but carried just enough speed so that I only used up to the center...making sure my body did not protrude into the oncoming lane.
Same way I do it!

stay as far aw ay from cars as possible
it sucks having to break when they do and watching their a$$

watch not just the car in front of you, watch 2-3 cars up
easier to predict what everyones gonna do

Usually in left third and drift from cage in front of me side view and rearview mirrors. In turns I like the whole lane so I can stay on outside (right turn/left side, left/right) and look as deep through turn as possible for the exit line. I agree, to close to center line can be scary with oncoming vehicles.

In town, I tend to stay on the left third.  I feel I am more visible there, and it gives me a bit more negotiation room in the event that someone pulls out from my right..

Out on the road, it depends on conditions.  On our ride over Lolo pass last year, we were headed east.  The river on our right, and typically a rock wall on the left.  The wall blocked visibility to oncoming traffic, so in the left hand curves, I started from the right third, but carried just enough speed so that I only used up to the center...making sure my body did not protrude into the oncoming lane.
Visibility can also be an issue on a right hand turn on a two lane mountain road. Instead of using a FULL outside-inside-outside technique in a turn with limited visibility, make your entry from the center third. Your speed should be correct for a center-inside-center third curve. Move to the inside third for your apex. If you have oncoming traffic, maintain your center-inside-center. If you have a clear exit path with no oncoming you can accelerate more making a center-inside-outside path of travel.

This way you have more margin for error should oncoming traffic be cutting the curve. There is a reason the center line paint is more worn than the rest of the road on the tight turns.

And with a busa, you get to enjoy the acceleration!

Back