MotoGP 2008 Tyre War continues...

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
How cool is this?? Any thoughts?

I think it's cool as hell that Rossi will be on even ground with Stoner with tires this year, should make for much more exciting racing than last season. I know some accused Rossi of whining, but I don't think there is any doubt he was on the inferior tire all season and can only imagine his frustration.

Stoner and Ducati earned everything they got last year, but it would have been a lot more interesting if Rossi had the same tires...

So what happens if Michelin gets it together this year and builds a better tire? Lorenzo will be on Michelins this year and in the last winter tests he was faster than Rossi on his new Bridgestones. With Ban ending soon testing resumes later this month and the reality of it will surface then. Stoner has his Sh1t wired now and looks like he has a total package and is not going away any time soon. The Yamaha squad (and everyone else)has been scrambling trying to close the gap. I hope it happens because it just aint fun to see who is going to finish second every race. I can only hope Honda bans Puig from the Repsol pits and gives Nicky (who I might add is the only one of the fast Michelin guys that didn't want to jump ship and go to Bridgestone last year) a decent package. I can't wait!

BTW I am reading that Speedvision is supposed to start broadcasting in HD by the Daytona 500 so hopefully we may see HD MotoGP races this year? Anyone heard anything on this?

don't really think if rossi had the bridgestone last year it would have made any difference....the ducati was just the best bike by a long shot last year period....hopefully we'll have a more level playing field this year
boxing.gif

So what happens if Michelin gets it together this year and builds a better tire? Lorenzo will be on Michelins this year and in the last winter tests he was faster than Rossi on his new Bridgestones. With Ban ending soon testing resumes later this month and the reality of it will surface then. Stoner has his Sh1t wired now and looks like he has a total package and is not going away any time soon. The Yamaha squad (and everyone else)has been scrambling trying to close the gap. I hope it happens because it just aint fun to see who is going to finish second every race. I can only hope Honda bans Puig from the Repsol pits and gives Nicky (who I might add is the only one of the fast Michelin guys that didn't want to jump ship and go to Bridgestone last year) a decent package. I can't wait!

BTW I am reading that Speedvision is supposed to start broadcasting in HD by the Daytona 500 so hopefully we may see HD MotoGP races this year? Anyone heard anything on this?
"So what happens if Michelin gets it together this year and builds a better tire?"

THAT would be hilarious! I don't think it will happen, if anything the two manufacturers will be on a par instead of way different. Bridgestone has worked very hard and very smart for too long, Michelin was the one that got complacent.

"I can only hope Honda bans Puig from the Repsol pits and gives Nicky (who I might add is the only one of the fast Michelin guys that didn't want to jump ship and go to Bridgestone last year) a decent package."

I remember Nicky saying some strong (though still politically correct)things about Michelin at times last season! The boy is diplomatic, is he not? Guess it comes from having factory sponsorship most of your life and not biting the hand that feeds you... He was still pissed at times though.

What does Puig do that affects the team?
rock.gif
I didn't think he did anything but coach and pat butt on the friggin leprechan...

How cool is this?? Any thoughts?

I think it's cool as hell that Rossi will be on even ground with Stoner with tires this year, should make for much more exciting racing than last season. I know some accused Rossi of whining, but I don't think there is any doubt he was on the inferior tire all season and can only imagine his frustration.

Stoner and Ducati earned everything they got last year, but it would have been a lot more interesting if Rossi had the same tires...
+1

It should go back to unlimited tires.  This is prototype racing, not stock based racing.  Should never have gone to 800cc and should never have regulated tires.

If they wanted to slow them down on top speed, should have limited gear boxes to 5 gears only.

And don't ban traction control.

Ban traction control and go to control tires in WSBK and AMA, but leave MotoGP unlimited!

traction control sucks ....takes away the whole riders skill being part of the racing process.....the bikes are just becoming point and squirt and then its just all about who can build the fastest bike plus it makes the racing much less interesting.....personally i really miss seeing nicky sliding it round the big bends laying darkies and riding with his heart on his sleeve.....very sad to see him struggle last year

I agree with above- it is the "Premier" class and should be unlimited, the baddest things on the planet. Traction control has been around forever, it's called the right wrist-anything else should be banned. It should be about the rider's skill at controlling the bike, with the team giving him the ultimate to ride and him controlling how much of it he uses and where!
pissed.gif
cursin.gif
umnik.gif
2cents.gif

traction control sucks ....takes away the whole riders skill being part of the racing process.....the bikes are just becoming point and squirt and then its just all about who can build the fastest bike plus it makes the racing much less interesting.....
+1

i agree with you if you can remember the 500's from back in the day there is no way you would ever want to see traction control. if it werent for traction control i dont think stoner would have had the year he did because there is no way you could keep the power of the duc from blistering the tyre. b.t.w. rossi is a corner guy so thats where the inferrior tyres really show.
2cents.gif

"So what happens if Michelin gets it together this year and builds a better tire?"

THAT would be hilarious! I don't think it will happen, if anything the two manufacturers will be on a par instead of way different. Bridgestone has worked very hard and very smart for too long, Michelin was the one that got complacent.

"I can only hope Honda bans Puig from the Repsol pits and gives Nicky (who I might add is the only one of the fast Michelin guys that didn't want to jump ship and go to Bridgestone last year) a decent package."

I remember Nicky saying some strong (though still politically correct)things about Michelin at times last season! The boy is diplomatic, is he not? Guess it comes from having factory sponsorship most of your life and not biting the hand that feeds you... He was still pissed at times though.

What does Puig do that affects the team?
rock.gif
I didn't think he did anything but coach and pat butt on the friggin leprechan...
You have to keep in mind that 2007 was the first year ever for the 800's so neither tire maker had any tangible data to start with. Bridgestone was obviously the faster learner of the those two. The French aren't known for sitting on their rears and letting technology pass them by. Just take a look at F1. Don't get me wrong I am no Michelin fan but I think they will respond as will Dunlop. Will it be enough? We'll know soon enough.

As for Puig all you have to do is look at the press clippings from 2006. He was constantly bad mouthing Hayden that season even going so far as to blame him (and then publicly apologize) for the "Estoril Incident". Puig is Pedrosa's manager and he is just doing what any good manager would do but the fact is he was trying to undermine Hayden to improve Pedro's chances at every turn. Puig is Spanish, Pedrosa is Spanish, Repsol is Spanish and Dorna is Spanish to say nothing of Carmelo Ezpelata himself. Puig has some pull there no doubt. If you don't believe that just take a look at the RC212V Honda came out with the following season. Hayden admitted later on that he was flabbergasted at how small the bike was and he worked all season long trying to get his carcass to fit on the thing it was so small. He tried to be PC about it but when they aired that "Kentucky Kid " Movie on MTV this Fall he actually talked about it a little bit.

Back