4 Debatable Thoughts About MotoGP

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
First, Valentino moving to Ducati wasn’t a bad move even with the horrible season he had. No matter what he was riding it wasn’t going to keep up with the Hondas and specifically Stoner on a Honda. So Rossi was probably thinking if Yamaha wants Lorenzo let them have him – the bike can’t win anyway. Rossi knew that he was going to lose whether he was at Yamaha making less money or at Ducati making a ton of cash. If both Yamaha and Ducati need a fresh approach to beat Honda, why stay at Yamaha and fight over the design of a new bike with Lorenzo when he can have Ducati build one to his specification alone? Besides I don’t see anything left in Yamaha for a while anyway. They spent a ton of development cash on the cross plane M1 (and got some good wins out of it) but all of that has produced an R1 dealers can’t give away. So for Rossi, as ugly as things got this year, he didn’t really lose anything. I’m sure he was shocked at how bad the GP11 was but for Rossi anything less than a win is irrelevant.

Second is the myth that Ducati is a magical race bike producer that will figure out how to beat Honda. The truth is that Ducati won in GP because they out foxed the other guys. When everyone else cut power to meet gas restrictions, Ducati kept the power and shut it down when the bike was leaned over. This saved gas when the bike couldn’t use the power anyway and allowed Ducati to have the legendary corner exits. But it was only a matter of time before the other guys caught on. In the lower classes, a 1200 cc Ducati can beat a 1000 cc whatever. I don’t get the surprise in that one. I really think the air box frame was a desperate attempt by Ducati to find that next trick to get back in the game with the Japanese. Maybe they can pull off a miracle but it looks like they are going to have to go back to a “Japanese†bike to get something ridable. That’s got to be scary for Rossi because that’s not going to beat the Hondas. I love Ducati and their fighting spirit but it’s going to take a pretty big idea to get back to a bike that can compete week after week with the Japanese. Now if Ducati could get rid of the control tires and build a tire for their stiff frame......

Three is that Stoner is the greatest rider ever because he rode the Ducati. Don’t get me wrong, Stoner is among the best ever riders. But he never rode the Ducati successfully against the developed M1 or with the stiff air box framed Duc. The year he won the title the M1 wasn’t a weapon. Once it was sorted out both Rossi and Lo ran Stoner into the ground on the M1. Yes, Stoner did manage to win some races in his last year on the GP10, but he had been riding it for several years. Does anyone remember how many times Stoner threw the GP10 down the track? How about the time he crashed it on the warm up lap? Riding the Duc fast means risking losing the front end, Stoner was willing to risk crashing the Ducati more than Rossi is but then again he was trying to get a ride at Honda, Rossi is just looking for a challenge.

Fourth is that next year was going to be Marco's year. The return to the 1000cc motors was going to bring back racing to MotoGP and that was Marco's strong point. I was so looking forward to seeing him run those liter bikes!

Did you see Takahasi highside in the last Moto2 race? That HURT.

- If Rossi is all about the money, I'd agree it was a good move. Yet, I still think he'd like to win some races too, and going with fellow Italian Ducati, who is spending BIG $$ to build a bike HE likes, was a smart move. Yet, he's only got 2012 and maybe 2013 before the shine is gonna wear off if he doesn't start winning some races. He has the most recognized brand in MotoGP and he needs to use it while he can. Seems like a pretty nice guy too.

- Right now Honda is clearly king of the heap, they have certainly thrown the most money at it while some other manufacturers (SUZUKI, KAWI) Sat out for financial reasons (they aren't nearly as industrially diversivied as Honda). Yet, some bean counter somewhere is certainly looking at if this is cost effective or not.

- This was certainly Stoner's year. A perfect storm and mix of bike and rider. Yet, these things come and go on a whim. I wonder if he'll be so fast after he holds that little baby that SMOKIN HOT wife of his is carrying in her belly. Having a child profoundly changes you.

- Marco's turn? Which "Marco" are you talking about 'cause I know which one you are NOT talking about RIP SuperSic!

I thought electronics were supposed to make highsides a thing of the past...........

:laugh:

159721d1209810750t-lorenzo-china-high-side-jorge.jpg

- Marco's turn? Which "Marco" are you talking about 'cause I know which one you are NOT talking about RIP SuperSic!

He just was just saying how Marco would have eventually been a dominant force in MotoGP even more so than he was. Such an unbelieveable loss to not only his loved ones but to the sport as well.

He just was just saying how Marco would have eventually been a dominant force in MotoGP even more so than he was. Such an unbelieveable loss to not only his loved ones but to the sport as well.

Exactly so.... losing Marco was a huge massive loss to the sport..... :(

^ 3 podium finishes coming out of his rookie year...he would have had A Great Career. He will be missed!

Ok..."would have"...The kid had a spark, was fearless on the track, and just the right mix of personality. Couldn't help but like the guy. What a shame. The tribute on Sunday was very nice.

it'll be interesting what hayden does with 1000 cc again also i'd put him as a wild card with the duc if they can figure something out.

I think the scrappers are going to love the 1000's. That was my point with Marco - he was made for this switch to the liter bikes. Still, Stoner, Rossi and Ben all can mix it up on the track. I think Ben is a sleeper. He was too big and heavy for the 800's but the 1000's will be a big help to him, even if it is the Yamaha.

Back