Minor winter touring mods and a better way to carry luggage

FlatlandBusa

Registered
The last few years it seems the only time the Busa leaves the garage is to go at least 200 miles from home.
So this winter I took the time to address a few things on my hooptie to make touring more of a pleasure.

Picked up mirror spacers from Tim @ Pashnit
DSC01051.jpg

Some Clearwater Darla lights also fell into the same box from Pashnit.
These are great,, I have them set up so they are on the included dimmer with low beam and go to full power with the high beam.
Between the 50 watt HID's and the Clearwater LED's I have a crazy amount of light at night. Around 14,000 raw lumens, my best guess of out the front lumens is a round 8,000, or about 4 times more than the typical car has. I have the low beam adjusted so I don't get flashed by other drivers.
(Yes I know the fender is rock chipped/dirty.)
DSC01045.jpg

I also added a couple things to my cockpit view.
Lower left corner is a PMR bar switch.
Next to the right bar end is the dimmer for the LED's, immediately left of it is a digital volt meter in a built by me bracket.
Then there is the obvious GPS mount.
DSC01049.jpg

And the best for last!
After looking at many options including givi hard bags, corbin beetle bags and even thinking about a bike with built in luggage.
I settled on a new third wheel trailer.

The quality of the third wheel is very nice. The frame and suspension look very well made without being heavy.
The only small complaint I had with the trailer was the gel coat finish was not polished to a high level, an hour with a few detailing towels and scratch X took care of that.
DSC01044.jpg

I ordered the trailer with the frame and sportbike hitch powder coated black and had Juan send it with the wheel raw cast so I could polish the rim lips and paint the center to match the Busa.
DSC01043.jpg

Some black retroflective tape was added for night visibility.
DSC01042.jpg

My old saddle bags and tail bag only take up about 1/2 the space in the trailer.
No more taking an hour to pack, just throw what I need in the trailer and go!
trailer.jpg

It's going to be a great summer of riding!:beerchug:

Absolutely awesome!

I'm totally jealous of the TWT.. Maybe for the next bike! :laugh:

Absolutely awesome!

I'm totally jealous of the TWT.. Maybe for the next bike! :laugh:

Same here... One of these days I'll be able to take the kind of trips that justify that purchase. Really nice setup you have there. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone! I have only been thinking about one of these since 2010,, finally ordered it this winter.

I forgot to mention, that the trailer is almost air tight. I can hear air whooshing out when closing the lid the last 1/2 inch. This should mean no more wet gear when I get rained on.

How does your busa handle with that trailer on the back?

Very good!
Starting into a corner you can feel a little extra weight although not as much as having saddle bags and tail bag on.
Steady state cornering I can not tell a difference.
Straight roads there is no difference.
Today I was out in 20-25 mph cross winds and there is no difference in the way the bike felt in the wind. I did noticed that when stopped I could feel the wind pushing on the bike a little more than normal.

Another observation from today's ride...

How is it that I add 115 lbs weight, another wheel,, plus waaayyy more luggage capacity and the mileage stays the same as no trailer?!?

Every other vehicle I ever hooked a trailer to the mileage goes down the toilet.

Even with 20 mph cross winds the 2 tanks through the bike today calculated out to 47.1 mpg and 46.4 mpg!

...and the mileage stays the same as no trailer?!?

I noticed that as well.

My guess is that the trailer is almost completely in the draft of the motorcycle. Wind resistance is the greatest part of fuel consumption. At a constant velocity weight and rolling resistance are much smaller components.

cheers
ken

I noticed that as well.

My guess is that the trailer is almost completely in the draft of the motorcycle. Wind resistance is the greatest part of fuel consumption. At a constant velocity weight and rolling resistance are much smaller components.

cheers
ken

That has to be what is happening. I was kinda surprised by the mileage with the trailer because when I put saddle bags on the mileage always dropped 3-4 mpg.

Back