might need to

mitchluv1

Registered
Once again I come to the almighty BUSA GURU'S and ask for your help. First some back ground on what's causing me to ask for assistance. Yesterday there was a toys for tots ride so me and my son rode in it. He had a great time and the turn out was huge (harley's and sports bikes everywhere NO attidudes from either side) anyway how back to the problem.
Durning the ride there was a lot of stop and go traffic, so bike temp got really high. It never reached the RED but got close by this time we made it to the end point. (thank goodness thinking to myself)
After about 45 mins or so me and some friends decided to go grab something to eat.
PROBLEMS start
turn bike on hit starter and she STRUGGLES big time won't start. So first thought was bad/ dead battery. Friends push start her and she fires right up. Get son on back and head for home.
On the way home we're still in heavy traffic temp rose really fast and RED warning light comes on, and she starts BUCKING and LURCHING. (like she wasn't getting any fuel) Then shuts off completily luckily I was by a Lowes so I turn in the parking lot and let her cool off.
After letting the bike cool off. I hit the starter and NOTHING, there was a Batteries Plus just up the block so me and son walk there ask for a jump box. (Very nice people by the way) she struggles but rumbles back to life. Before heading home we stop by BP to have them test battery. Well like i suspected the Battery is DEAD. (payday purchase) Bike started just fine before the ride, what made it die like that??
Long story short do I need to check for anything else.
Battery-for sure
Rectifier-????
Stators- ?????

Overall it was a good day and for a good cause. Sorry for the long read.

What year and how many miles on your bike ???
Posted via Mobile Device

i have seen some years have problems with overheating in stop and go ... muzzy fan install...cheap and keeps me cool

You need to look into some water wetter or engine ice for cooling issues. I had the same thing happen to me with my battery a few years ago. We were waiting in line to get into the drag strip, bike idling the entire time, traffic moves and we move up a few feet and wait some more. Probably 30 minutes of stop and go and my battery died. The battery would not charge at an idle or just above. I had to get a jump after we got in and I never had any issues after that. Put a good charge on it and check the water levels.

bike year 99, miles 25k. currently have the engine ice in it. my thought is replacement of btry for starters. its more then a few yrs old. but still looking for other thoughts, possible causes, and trouble spots.

How high is your idle? I turned my idle down on my gen1 after it came close to overheating in Florida stop and go traffic. The book recommends somewhere between 900 - 1100 but mine would overheat in traffic. I set the idle about 700-800 and the cooling problem was fixed, but it makes it harder to idle when cold and hard braking when cold she would die. I finally did the second fan mod, turned the idle back up around 1000 and I can sit it traffic all day with no problems. :thumbsup:

Back