microsoft vista vid

The below is just my experience with Vista...

most of our Vista issues are related file access, printer shares, file shares and network setups... Crashes and lockups are not all the frequent. Resource demands can slow the system pretty dramatically but the system seems pretty stable overall.

I think what they did is to try and alleviate the "average" users reliance on a "pro" to setup their system for security..

The reality is that the system is so knackered up from the file access overkill, that users are forced to pay the "pros" to setup even basic programs that need to access any type of database or data file. (unless you know about NTFS permissions)

Now for the ironic part... the work around for these issues is to use NTFS file permissions and then add "everyone" to the file access list.. (this essentially removes any file security that may have existed)

I guess for myself (and a lot of other guys here) it makes for job security but certainly makes for a set of headaches for end users..

Windows ME was sweet, it actually worked and XP was better yet.
Is this a typo? I agree with the XP comment but ME was a horrific piece of junk. I haven't had any issues with Vista crashing computers it came from the factory on but just simply using the OS is a PITA. Like Mr B alludes to...you have to get rid of its security features to even use it.

Vista works.... basically. But do you really need to buy twice the hardware just to boot faster and run a spreadsheet? People forget that a spreadsheet is a spreadsheet. Oddly, the old DOS Lotus spreadsheet accomplishes the exact same thing [maybe not the blingy graphs] that the new systems do and at 1/20 of the power. And yet huge advances in computer OS and hardware are yeilding SLOWER systems? Come on now. Crap Crap Crap.

MrBogus, did your company roll it out? I have not found anyone who has yet, and I'm curious how it's working. I think you summed it up nicely

STFU...how rude.
was not sure why the stfu comment myself.. no point in being defensive from the start I guess..
can't hardly post anything here without a whiner or 2 crying about REPOST.
if you think about it, almost everything has been posted before.
i'm just trying to spread a little humor and get flamed about half the time
thats why i said (kindly) stfu
winkold.gif
whip me,beat me,kill me....just don't bore me.
winkold.gif

winkold.gif

I will say this, I have four XP machines and have a few problems with all of them. I have one vista machine and it crashes daily. Now my MACS, they are a work of art. Never crash, no blue screens of death. Just churning along, all day, happy to be powered up.

I have grown up on PC`s and Macs. I started on a IBM 8086 you had to boot with a 5.25 inch floppy and use the other floppy drive to run programs on and the hard drive was smaller than whats in my cell phone now.

Ive watch computer grow and Ive watched them crash. VISTA SUCKS

Josh
"SHHHHHHH"..........JOSH, say no more....they'll find out our MAC secrets..........
super.gif

BTW I have 2 MAC-LAPS, and one XP-LAP, this XP lap is the only one I ever have issues with.....

PS and if they find out our secrets...the prices will go WAY UP !!!!!!! I still think Steve is doing a better job, Bill's just wealthy and wants to be wealthier....

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
I will say this, I have four XP machines and have a few problems with all of them. I have one vista machine and it crashes daily. Now my MACS, they are a work of art. Never crash, no blue screens of death. Just churning along, all day, happy to be powered up.[/quote]

What happens when Vista crashes? Serious question as it's never happened to me. Is there still a blue screen of death?

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
I have grown up on PC`s and Macs. I started on a IBM 8086 you had to boot with a 5.25 inch floppy and use the other floppy drive to run programs on and the hard drive was smaller than whats in my cell phone now. [/quote]

You had TWO floppies AND a hard drive? Noob!
rofl.gif
I feel old as dirt now. I felt lucky to have the option to type characters in lower case. Also why boot off a floppy when you had the luxury of a lightning fast hard drive?

Cass?
Memory Size?
Ready>

Anyone remember that boot up screen?

Windows ME was sweet, it actually worked and XP was better yet.
Is this a typo? I agree with the XP comment but ME was a horrific piece of junk. I haven't had any issues with Vista crashing computers it came from the factory on but just simply using the OS is a PITA. Like Mr B alludes to...you have to get rid of its security features to even use it.
ME was installed on a cheap azz eMachine I bought and I never had any issues with it. I eventually gave it to my niece and it's still in use today. It was a freakin dream compared to 95 and 98.

When I bought this laptop I immediately deleted all the bloatware (especially Norton) and installed AVG and Spybot. I then disabled the security prompt that pops up and dims the screen when when Windows feels something is fishy...that's the one and only thing I found annoying and it took all of 20 seconds to uncheck that feature. I've kept Defender running with no issues but not sure if it's doing any good as I have firewalls configured on my modem and router.

Back