Melt wires

Bugsy

Registered
I went riding today and smelt of something burnt near the engine.

Ran a check and found the magneto wires and some of the wring harness have melted and fused together again.

Any solutions to solve the problem ??

Stop riding the bike? J/K Are the melting close to the pipes or just the engine? you could always wrap your pipes near the wires, but I dont think to many people are having this problem.

i hate to say this bring it to the dealership..ughhh.. wherew are you from?
Singapore........

think the dealer won't do much help. most proberly they will ask me to change the whole wiring harness..........

rock.gif

That looks like serious corosion to me. If that is the case the added resistance there could be the cause of the melting.
wink.gif

DR2.jpg

This was the best ran that the mechanic got. His dyno can't get a reading above 200hp mark.

So far manage to reach 300kmh, ran out of straight road....

<!--EDIT|Bugsy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097231496 -->

I've had the alternator connector block melt on one of my Hondas. The issue was corrosion that built up in the connector itself. This raises resistance and results in temperatures hot enough to do damage.

The fix:

1. If you have not yet had this problem, disconnect the connector block, spray it with contact cleaner, hook and unhook the connectors a couple of time to burnish the leads, and then coat with a light coating of dialectric grease to prevent future occurence. I now do the dialectric grease thing on every connector on every new bike I get as soon as I bring the new machine home.

2. If you have already melted the connector, buy a new male/female connector block with sufficient terminals at Radio Shack, cut the wiring back to where it is not damaged, install the new connectors, and protect with dialectric grease as outlined above. You may need to reroute things a bit to get enough wire length when you cut off the old connector blocks.

Whats the stainless steel line in there for? Could that have rubbed through the insulatation and shorted those wires?

Back