Medic Alert

SD1300

Will ride for Oreos
Donating Member
For those of you who are medically enlightened...
I have been told to get some kind of medical alert thing to alert emergency folks not to get me operated on without a Sandostatin drip going...it's a long story that involves crashing on the table.
Any one in particular better than the others? I have looked at Medic Alert and "my Very Necessary ID Card, both offer a database service and an ID. I'm leaning towards a dog tag.

Any thoughts on them?

Thanks,

Mark

Dog tags are great for military minded EMT's. I was at an accident when a Marine was being attended to by the local EMT and they never even thought about checking his tags out, I asked them to check. So I do not think a tag will really help. You need to find out what EMT's in your area are told to look for-that is the only thing that matters. Also dogtag chains break (sometimes often -- I am on my 3rd chain since being in Iraq) and they pull chest hairs in a most annoying way.

Jersey - I took 550 cord and pulled out the gut then ran the dog tag chain through it and melted the ends. No more hair pulls, very quiet, and never broke. It could still be pulled off easily because the little clasp was exposed.

I keep a card in my wallet, tried the medical alert necklaces and bracelets but I would always lose them. By now the EMT 's know me and they dont need to see anything from me, but it is good to have something when your away from home.

+1 on th chesthair pulling,lol. on the flip side....if you have a medical condition, then the dogtag that states it should be a bright red color and should draw the attention of any physician that is about to cut into you. checking for possible alert cards or tags should be SOP for medical personel anyway.....wether ot actually is or not i dont really know.
Posted via Mobile Device

EMT's are trained to check for medical alert jewelry, don't really like to look into peoples wallets, some people believe it or not could say that the EMT took the money in the wallet.

A friend of mine has a "Diabetic" tattoo with the red medical crosses on the inside of his wrist. Looks cool too.

medic alert braclets work great. being a street medic for 15 years I can tell you we DO look for them. A USB ICE drive type of thing will get missed fast. Lets face it if your pretty messed up I dont have time to stop from keeping you alive to put a thumb drive in the computer. A wallet card is pretty much useless. If your knocked out first thing I do is expose, you. ALL OF YOU!!!!!! and the cance of your wallett geting left on scene is kind of high.

Best info to have on a medic alert tag is
#1 allergies
#2 medical conditions
#3 medicnes you take
#4 your name and number.

SS - the tag themselves pull the hair (I tape them together now) -- I know I am a b!tch (but I have chest hair) the 550 works a lot better -- but my chains still break, maybe I should do less strenuous activities here. I actually had my tags tattooed on my ribcage(hurt a little less than the pulled chest hair, btw) -- but the AirCrew guys still want to see the metal.

I actually hope to never have to have anyone check my dogtags here or on the street.

Back