Making a back rest. . .

drumminman

Donating Member
Registered
I've looked everywhere and the only company I can find that makes a passenger backrest for the Busa is Corbin. But it's over $500! ! ! because you have to buy a passenger to which it attaches.

Cycle Venture's Ventura Rack System is not supposed to be used as a back rest, so I'm assuming it's not sturdy enough even though it looks the part.

I was wondering what the grab bar is made of and has anyone ever had a welding fabrication shop ad a backrest to it?

I'll probably look into this myself but I'd also like the benefit of the experience of others.

idea.gif

One suggestion... spend the freakin' $500 and get a backrest that won't fug up.  The last thing you need is to have someone falling off the back because you rigged a back rest.  The grab bar seemed to be a very hard plastic when I got mine chromed. By the way, here are some pics of it with some Tour Master sport bags:

<!--EDIT|MeltDownZ
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123706344 -->

Plastic?!?! Are you sure? I'll have to go have a look, but I could have sworn it's metal.

I'm thinking if it's aluminum I could probably get something made that looks good, is strong and unique.

Probably need a good fabricator; maybe I should call the guys at OCC!
rock.gif

I've thought several times about making a back rest... I'm sorry.. but I ain't paying nobody $500 for it to be used 3 times a year.. haha.

I wouldn't put it on the grab rail though.. I was just gonna do the same thing they did .. add some metal into the bottom part of the pass. seat and be done. That way all the stress is on the seat.. which our passenger will be sitting on anyway...

I can tell you that its not plastic, i stripped mine with aircraft paint stripper and polished up so i'm thinkin its aluminum.

Yeah, I took it off today and it's definitly metal. It's heavy, so it's either solid aluminum or steel. Got to get to the yellow pages and get this project underway!
smile.gif

Its aluminum, no more area than you would have to weld to however would make for weak structural integrity.

Back