Maintenance on 08

Bo_

Registered
FWIW, here's mine.

I changed the oil for the 2nd time last night at 574 miles. this time the oil was much cleaner than the first change but still pretty nasty for only 315 miles, 1st change was at 259. This time was much faster since I knew all the buttons to push, total wrench time was probably about an hour, that's still about 45 minutes longer than I think an oil change should take, but much quicker than my first change. I'm still set to fab the remote oil filter, been too busy to get over to the machine shop, maybe today.

I'm using valvoline 10w40 m/c oil and K&N KN138 filter. 4 qts w/filter, the manual states 3.5 qts w/filter, at 3.5 I don't see any in the window.

I adjusted the chain at 500 miles, it was real sloppy after a few hard jerks. The factory chain lube was more on the side of the link plates than on the rollers, I spent 30 minutes cleaning and lubing the chain the first day I bought the bike, since then I have cleaned/lubed it 4 times. I clean and lube the chain about every 150 miles, which is about what I usually ride when I take it out. I clean it with wd-40 and lube with Motoline Motorex lube or silkoline. I always clean the rear wheel while I'm at it.

I adjusted the rear brake throw at 300 miles.

Adjusted the slop out of the throttle cables at 574 miles.

I wipe the dust off the bike with a water damp t-shirt, I use windex on fried on bugs, then I wipe the whole bike down with Plexus, farings, tank, glass, everything, I even Plexus the wheels from time to time. A clean bike is a safe bike. Rant, Usually when someone wods a bike on a ride, it is the guy who's chain is dry and out of adjustment, bike is dirty, mirrors dirty and out of adjustment, oil and tires over due. You can pretty much pick them out before they go down. Rant over.  

Duh, I keep a maintenance log on all my bikes,  | Maintenance | date | mileage | parts/material |.

I elevate the rear of the bike by sliding a 1/2 inch solid rod thru the axle and tipping it up on jack stands, much much better than a bulldog etc stand. I even use jack stands when I have swingarm sliders, jack stands make it very easy and safe for one man to lift bike, even a big busa. I raise the front with two bottle jacks, not as safe.

I track gas on trip gauge 1, I track oil changes on trip gauge 2, nice for a quick reference without going to the log.          

Anybody got any maintenance tips they would share. Or tips about your gear or things that make your Busa life more enjoyable other than speed shifting at WOT!!!

I checked bolts for tightness on my 08.I found one loose on the left handlebar endcap. When I adjusted my chain, one of the tensioner locknuts was fingertight before I started adjusting.

Thanks for the great write up. I haven't jumped into mine yet, only 120 Mi. so far. I plan on keeping a maintenance log also. I didn't on my last one and it was a pain keeping track of what I did on it. Is the oil filter the same size as the Gen 1?

Thanks for the great write up. I haven't jumped into mine yet, only 120 Mi. so far. I plan on keeping a maintenance log also. I didn't on my last one and it was a pain keeping track of what I did on it. Is the oil filter the same size as the Gen 1?
Yep, same filter as Gen1

FilterNumber.jpg

I have always heard WD-40 on a chain is bad.
08 Manual says clean with Kerosene. Poured some in a tray, then used a brush to apply and let drip with contaminents back into the tray. Did a final wipe down when done, then applied Suzuki chain lube. Suzuki chain lube is black. Factory chain almost looked like it had a lithium grease coat?

I've used WD-40 to clean o-ring chains for a long time with no trouble. WD= water displacement, 40= 40th attempt to make a product to clean circuit boards. I like it because it cleans old lube off, then dries quickly without leaving any oily to sling on your bling. Squirt some on your shop floor, it drys quick. Wikipedia makes us smart: (The WD-40 company claims it is safe for use on all motorcycle chains, but recommended cleaning products vary among chain manufacturers. Tsubaki Chain[4] and RK Chain recommend WD-40 to clean or displace water on all types of chains, including sealed ring)(WD-40 dissolves cocaine)(nuclear plants use it to loosen their reactor head studs/nuts)

I've used WD-40 to clean o-ring chains for a long time with no trouble. WD= water displacement, 40= 40th attempt to make a product to clean circuit boards. I like it because it cleans old lube off, then dries quickly without leaving any oily to sling on your bling. Squirt some on your shop floor, it drys quick. Wikipedia makes us smart: (The WD-40 company claims it is safe for use on all motorcycle chains, but recommended cleaning products vary among chain manufacturers. Tsubaki Chain[4] and RK Chain recommend WD-40 to clean or displace water on all types of chains, including sealed ring)(WD-40 dissolves cocaine)(nuclear plants use it to loosen their reactor head studs/nuts)
Gotta admit, I'm a WD-40 Lover myself. Only negetive thing I ever witnessed with it was a (fiberglass insulated) hot oil line, for a Tyvek production line, a mechanic used it to lube some threads on.

Long story short, the oil was very high flash point, the WD-40 soaked fiberglass was a very low flash point. When the high temp oil heated up, the WD-40 flashed over. Not likely to happen in every day life, but the only concern I ever found when applied as it should be.

The chain has no master link, that I am aware of. How do you soak it in kerosene in a pan? One half at a time?

cool.gif

The chain has no master link, that I am aware of. How do you soak it in kerosene in a pan? One half at a time?

cool.gif
Had a 2" deep, 6"x6" aluminum pan filled 1" with kerosene. Held the pan directly under 6ish links at a time and used a brush to "soak" these links, then wiped with a cotton rag. Yep, plenty of wheel rotating went on, before the whole chain was done.

Back