M4 Retro pipe install

Trickplay461

Registered
Hey Peeps...

Quick question. I went to install the M4 Retro pipes on my 09 Busa. Slipped off the old ones and when I slipped on the new one the exhaust did not go all the way into position. It was off by about an inch of the rear peg bracket. I looked down and saw that there was some type of silver foil (heat tape I assume) just behind the point where the old stock exhaust came off. This tape is hindering complete insertion of the M4s to align properly with the bracket. Can this tape be removed without a problem? I started to hack at it with a screwdriver and saw it will come off but then I wondered just exactly what it was protecting. Any thoughts? Is this a big deal to remove or must I replace it if I do? Its wrapped several layers deep from the look of it. All help is appreciated. :banghead:

It will pull right off. It is a gasket for the stock pipe. Don't hack it up cuz you will need it if you ever put the stock pipes back on.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

When I installed my M4 Retro I had the same thoughts. Although, from my previous exhaust work experience I realized it was simply a gasket for the stock pipes. Remove the gasket and keep it with the stock pipes, or send it with the stock pipes if you sell them. Then, install the M4 pipes and away you go. You are going to love the new look and sound. They are my number one choice of pipes, even over full systems.

Thx guys for the replies. The gasket did come off with some WD40 and a plumbers wrench w/ a rag. The pipes are still off by about a 1/4 inch. I removed the metal washer / sleeve that houses the bolt on the rear peg. This allowed the pipe to fit and it seems its on there solid. My only question is, where you guys able to install the pipes without having to remove this washer / sleeve? When you take apart the stock bolt on the rear peg there is the bolt, then a removable washer, followed by another washer / sleeve combo that fits through the heavy rubber damper / gasket of the rear peg mount, then the washer/bolt on the other side that holds it all together. If I left the washer / sleeve combo fitted in the rubber damper then the pipes dont fit perfectly. If I remove it I was then able to fit it with just the bolt , removable washer, rubber damper and finally the bolt / washer on the other side. Regardless its on solid but would obviously be better with metal washer / sleeve that actually fits through the rubber damper. Thx again.

I also had a gasket that wanted to stay put. It slid right off after a couple of light taps from the ratchet I was using. Like someone else said, definitely save those in case you ever need to put the stock cans back on.

I reused the stock mounting hardware just the same way it was installed on the original mufflers. One of my pipes does not perfectly line up with the hole at the passenger pegs, but it's close enough to work without any modification. It's not noticeable unless you go looking for it. I didn't try any other combinations like you mentioned above. This exhaust basically mounts up like the stockers, so I figured Suzuki set up the washers and bolts that way for a reason. So yeah, mine isn't 100% perfect, but it's not something that commands any attention, and I know it's very solidly mounted.

Back