Luimoto seat cover install

spotrot

Registered
The seat cover on my 2004 split all of a sudden in many places, even though it's been covered or inside for most of its life.

I bought a Luimoto black cover for $50 on ebay and finished the install today.

The install was a giant PIA and took a few hours and 2 starts but the result came out good - not perfect but good.

The Luimoto instal video was helpful but not sufficient:

Also note that they don't allow comments. Wonder why? And they chose to make money off the video by inserting ads.

Some advice: An Arrow electric stapler is barely OK and only with 1/4" pointed staples. 3/8 flat tip staples are ng. Hold the stapler to the seat with extreme pressure or the staple won't penetrate the seat plastic base. I'd guess that a manual staple gun has no chance. Luimoto shows the cover install with a pneumatic staple gun.

Use spray glue to hold the cover to the seat on its concave portion.

The front rear and sides are fairly easy but it is very difficult to get the wrinkles out of the rear curved corners. Doing this in the hot sun and using pliers to pull/stretch the cover material there helps. Trimming excess material may help too. At least on my black bike with black seat cover, any minor wrinkles in the cover at the lower edge of the rear corners are not easily visible.

With a pneumatic staple gun. I'd guess this would get easier after doing several covers but be forewarned that it's a bit of a challenge for first-timers.

20200522_114143.jpg

20200522_114934.jpg

The seat cover on my 2004 split all of a sudden in many places, even though it's been covered or inside for most of its life.

I bought a Luimoto black cover for $50 on ebay and finished the install today.

The install was a giant PIA and took a few hours and 2 starts but the result came out good - not perfect but good.

The Luimoto instal video was helpful but not sufficient:

Also note that they don't allow comments. Wonder why? And they chose to make money off the video by inserting ads.

Some advice: An Arrow electric stapler is barely OK and only with 1/4" pointed staples. 3/8 flat tip staples are ng. Hold the stapler to the seat with extreme pressure or the staple won't penetrate the seat plastic base. I'd guess that a manual staple gun has no chance. Luimoto shows the cover install with a pneumatic staple gun.

Use spray glue to hold the cover to the seat on its concave portion.

The front rear and sides are fairly easy but it is very difficult to get the wrinkles out of the rear curved corners. Doing this in the hot sun and using pliers to pull/stretch the cover material there helps. Trimming excess material may help too. At least on my black bike with black seat cover, any minor wrinkles in the cover at the lower edge of the rear corners are not easily visible.

With a pneumatic staple gun. I'd guess this would get easier after doing several covers but be forewarned that it's a bit of a challenge for first-timers.

View attachment 1619484

View attachment 1619485

Looks sweet my man,great write up. Sounds like a huge headache (that the company is aware of) to install. Not for the faint of heart. 50 buck,good price. Plans to do the pillion,or have you had enuff?
Rubb.

Turned out quite nice for all the hard work to get it done!

Thanks for the feedback. I hope my notes help others, as so other many members notes have helped me.

Some of the other covers are really showy and I can see someone who wants a little project to dress up their bike installing them. As to my pillion, if its cover cracks too, I'll either buy another cover, or buy a used replacement pillion if it's close to the same price.

If the Luimoto cover doesn't hold up, stretches out or such, I'll update the post.

Back