Lsl handlebars

tlrbandit

Registered
My dad is looking at getting a Hayabusa within the next few days but there is one modification that we know will need to be done. I'll give you some of his dimensions in the hope that a little guidance can be given. Thanks in advance for your help.

Here we go: Pop is 72 years old and has about 600,000 miles under his belt. He is 5'6' and growing shorter all the time (lol's). Due to old injuries, he cannot lean over that far and will need raised bars. He has ridden a Busa with Heli bars and they were pretty close to what he needs, but the bars don't come back quite enough. After researching it, I think the LSL handlebar conversion would be best as far as comfort goes but they aren't the best looking modification around.

Anybody have experience with this handlebar conversion? Does it affect the handling much? This bike will spend the majority of it's miles in the mountains, as well as a few track days, and the Old dude can ride pretty hard so this area is important. What about other options? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I am sure he is picking one up this weekend and we will need to order the parts in order for him to ride the bike comfortably.

Well at 72, it is awesome to hear that he will be getting a Busa. If he has ridden with Heli bars and they were close, they why not go to a genmar riser/helibar combo? That way, you don't lose the funtionality (or the look) of the stock set up? How much more than the helibars does he need? Also, if he is 5'6, you could look into a Tobin seat that lowers the riding position and enables you to sit up better rather than hunched (the Tobin will drop you a little better than an inch from stock position)...

Just my thoughts! Anyway, welcome!

72 on a Busa.....go Pops!!
cool.gif

Funny you mention the Tobin seat cause Pop called last night and said he that would be one of the first things he ordered. Apparently, being able to touch the ground was something he found rather exciting.

I didn't mention it in the earlier post, but my dad has a 1200 Bandit with the 1216 kit and headwork and it is putting out 142 hp with a little over 90 ft. lbs. torque. and he has just crossed 53,000 miles with it. The Hayabusa would be a natural move for him and it will get him off my GSXR 1000. I guess he figures my Bandit should be enough to keep me occupied.

I'll look into the Genmar riser and see if that gets him closer to where he needs to be. Basically, he needs to be sitting about as upright as you can get without actually sitting straight up and down. He has 2 crushed discs in his back, so sitting straight up and down or leaning over real far puts a lot of pressure on the nerves surrounding those discs, which basically just make his feet hurt like hell. I'd say he needs the bars to come back about 1" more what the Heli bars do to be just about right.

Funny you mention the Tobin seat cause Pop called last night and said he that would be one of the first things he ordered.  Apparently, being able to touch the ground was something he found rather exciting.

I didn't mention it in the earlier post, but my dad has a 1200 Bandit with the 1216 kit and headwork and it is putting out 142 hp with a little over 90 ft. lbs. torque. and he has just crossed 53,000 miles with it.  The Hayabusa would be a natural move for him and it will get him off my GSXR 1000.  I guess he figures my Bandit should be enough to keep me occupied.

I'll look into the Genmar riser and see if that gets him closer to where he needs to be.  Basically, he needs to be sitting about as upright as you can get without actually sitting straight up and down.  He has 2 crushed discs in his back, so sitting straight up and down or leaning over real far puts a lot of pressure on the nerves surrounding those discs, which basically just make his feet hurt like hell.  I'd say he needs the bars to come back about 1" more what the Heli bars do to be just about right.
Well, I know that Genmar risers come in .75, 1.0, 1.25, 1.50 and I believe 1.75 inch height increments, so you may be in there....

Hope it works... You need to bring him screaming into the age of technology and get hiim on the board, or at least post a pic of him with his ride!

The Genmars that fit the Busa are 3/4" and 1 1/4"

I have the 1 1/4" on mine and a Tobin seat; it changed my riding position a lot. I also lowered the front 1 1/4" and the back 1"

I'm not sure if I will keep this configuration ( I might be sitting to straight up) I have some lower back pain and leaning forward helps.

I might try the 3/4" Genmars. Me and the bike are out of commission right now, when I get back riding I will decide what I want to do.

Were are you at? there might be a bike night or some members in your area that might have a setup your dad can sit on.

We are in Southern California in the Los Angeles / Orange County area.

I sent Pop the measurements you gave me so he could take a look at them. I'm thinking the Tobin Seat with the Heli bars and gen mar risers will work for him. If not he may have to go with the handlebar set up.

I'll see if I can scoop a picture up of him dragging his knee on my GSXR, or better yet, a good picture of him doing a stand up wheelie last year on my CRF 450. The line about getting hin into th new age of computers is funny....right now, just trying to get him to look at pictures or articles on the computer he stands back like 3' because he is afraid he is going to break it. lol's

try the cycle cat adjustable risers. They are supposed to adjust up to 1 9/16". They are also clip-ons and will look good. You can find them at cyclecat.com

A 'Busa at 72! Wicked cool!
cool.gif
I hope I'm still riding one at that age!

Is he happy with the peg height? At 5'6" he might be. The Tobin drops the seat height. Could consider the Buell peg mod.

Looking forward to the pics!
smile.gif

try the cycle cat adjustable risers. They are supposed to adjust up to 1 9/16". They are also clip-ons and will look good. You can find them at cyclecat.com
+1 on the cycle cats! They are also adjustable for angle. Search on for KS-Waterbugs review of them. You might also look at the Converti bars. They offer a huge range of adjustment though not even in the same league cosmetically with the Cycle cats. Both require you to toss your stock triple cover though Cycle cat has you covered there too.

Back