Lowering Question

hckyguy1

Registered
Ok guys, I know that lowering has been discussed alot but I have a question that I didn't find the answer to from searching. If I missed it feel free to just give me a link to what I'm looking for, not sure if I was searching the right things.

If all goes as planned I am supposed to pick up my new (to me) Busa on sunday. It has all the little things that I wanted to do already done to it, but I want to lower it in the near future as well. Now, I know that to lower the back I need to get the lowering links, but what exactly do I need to do in order to lower the front? Do I need to get a new tree that allows the forks to go through and then lower all the clamps down on the front forks? or is there something else I have to do to lower the front? I am new to the Busa so I figured where else to ask for the info than here at the .org

Thanks in advance. And once I pick up the bike ill be sure to post up some pics on here since I know how much everyone loves pics.

theres a couple different ways to lower the front. the upper triple tree is two pieces from O.E. basically you need a way to slide the tube up because the factory upper triple/top clamp wont allow you to do this.

1. a spacer to go in between the two pieces of the upper triple tree.

2. a new top clamp with holes for the forks to go through.

3. an entire new and 1 piece upper triple tree. rsd makes one that allows you to lower only 3/4" and has the bar mounts, theres a couple others that make these as well just not sure on manufacturer. or you can buy the race style that needs clip ons. prob the most expensive way, but it looks truely custom and cool.

or the more technical ways by internaly lowering the forks. :thumbsup:

Catconservative.jpg

so is this what I would need if I wanted to put just a new triple tree that allows the forks to go through? If so I am thinking that this would probably look the best once I am finished, although it is a bit more than I was hoping to spend, I can live with it. Also, would I be able to lower it any amount I want with something like this or is there only a specific range I would be able to lower it.

If so, do I just swap out the tree with this one and then loosen the clamps on the forks to let them slide up through the tree?

Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it.

so is this what I would need if I wanted to put just a new triple tree that allows the forks to go through? If so I am thinking that this would probably look the best once I am finished, although it is a bit more than I was hoping to spend, I can live with it. Also, would I be able to lower it any amount I want with something like this or is there only a specific range I would be able to lower it.

If so, do I just swap out the tree with this one and then loosen the clamps on the forks to let them slide up through the tree?

Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it.

There's a limit to how far you can lower it, as the stock forks flare out at a certain point, and I'm pretty sure you can't get the clamps past there. But if you lower to that point, you will still have dropped about an inch off your stock height.

There's a limit to how far you can lower it, as the stock forks flare out at a certain point, and I'm pretty sure you can't get the clamps past there. But if you lower to that point, you will still have dropped about an inch off your stock height.

okay. so then if you cant get past the flare, how do people slam their bikes so low if going all the way to the flare only lowers it about an inch?

gen1 forks are straight, gen2 are tapered and after you lower more than about 1" you lose some contact area of the triple trees

gen1 forks are straight, gen2 are tapered and after you lower more than about 1" you lose some contact area of the triple trees

so on the gen I (which is what I am buying) you can lower it by more than 1'' by replacing the tree? and the gen II you cant? is that correct?

thanks for all your info guys, from what ive gathered i am thinking that the new tree.

anyone have any info on or have used the tree in the first link? I like the look of the one from Pashnit a little more but the skeleton one in the first link is significantly less money, which I will be tight on after paying for the bike. But if the skeleton is a significatly lesser quality I am willing to spend the extra money.

skelton top tree chrome

Buy Now: Suzuki Hayabusa Parts & Accessories, Modify Suzuki Busa | Pashnit Moto

Last edited:
so on the gen I (which is what I am buying) you can lower it by more than 1'' by replacing the tree? and the gen II you cant? is that correct?
No, because your bottom clamps wouldn't go past the point where the forks flare outwards. (EDIT: I have a 2006 model, and my forks definitely flare out. I don't know what m_ridgeway is on about.) If you wanted to drop it more than that, you'd have to get new forks, or modify your current ones. You can cut the springs/replace them with shorter springs. I've seen it done...and it's a real pain in the ass to do. Plus, more than 1 inch in drop and you won't be able to ride it on the road because you'll have zero clearance.

If you get the block from Soupy's, you can still have your OEM top tree on top of it, which is what I did with mine, plus your bars will be set a bit higher, which makes it more comfortable to ride.

Last edited:
the one at pashnit is the rsd. you can only go 3/4" down with it. just the way its made.

the skeleton one i dont know about. looks ok, but i would like to know who made it, personally anything made by yana shiki i wouldnt buy. too many bad stories for me to try them out. stick with roaring toys, myrtle west, etc etc

Thanks for the link, will definitely help alot. I will shop around and find out exactly which triple tree I want to purchase. Thanks for all the info guys.

I know I am a little late on the post...but +1 on the spacers. The spacers are cheap, lowering the front 1" is almost perfect, and they actually raise the handle-bars so it is more comfortable. :thumbsup:

I bought a F/R lowering kit from pingel about 2 months ago. They are 1 1/2 -3 inch for the rear dogbones, And [as mentioned above] 1 inch lowering bushings for the front, My wife is 5ft and needed it lowered. I live Where there is alot of cattle guards and I only put the rear kit on[set at 1 1/2 to test the waters. The bike stock is only about 4.7 iches high . dropping the bike 3 inches in the back,will slam your busa, then; its only 1.7 inches off the ground. I recently sold the kit to an org member for less than half price and he loves it. But with the kit on, my bike was dragging the transition strip coming out of the shop. The cattle guards here would diffinatly have taken out the underside of the bike.If the man whobought them reads this he can tell you his take on the kit,,BTW I bought the kit from Pingel raceing, The entire kit is 135.00 Thats alot cheaper than a tree for which ussualy run over 200.00 alone. They are made out of 70/75 billet aluminum and come with new bolts,,,Its a nice kit,,pingels is known to be pricey. But I really like the fact that they were made with the 70/75 and the entire F/R kit was 135 bucks,,The owner now only has it down as recommended to 1 1/2 mark,,but he has scrapped pulling into afew places,,,,this is my only concern for you,,I didnt take it into consideration when I bought the kit,,Thought I'd be ok. you also have to factor in ,after the drop[sya you go the full 3 inch; that only leaves you 1.7 inches b4 you sit on it,,So as the new owner has told me,His bike is slammed at 1 1/2 inch drop. When I was looking at kits b4 I bought that one,I wanted my bike slammed too,I found a 5 inch multble dogbone kit,But was steered away by the seller; adviseing me you couldnt travel over gravel....Trust me,,1 1/2 inch doesnt sound like much on paper,,but it looks and feels like it was dropped 4 ft. most of the techs at pingels do the 1 inch up front bushings and only drop the rear[as the new owner did as well] 1 1/2 .

I bought the kit from bobber and love it. Looks really nice and he was kind enough to wright some detailed instructions on a few little things that helped in putting the kit on. That being said,you can't beat it for 135.00 unless you want to go lower in the front which would be hard to ride on the street unless they are in perfect condition lol. I ended up raiseing the rear to the next hole because of bottom fairing dragging a lil in some parking lots lol. Hope this helps a lil.

Back