Lowering bikes?

SpeedAdict

Gabe
Donating Member
Registered
I have heard both ends of this story from people that have not done it. Just wondering how lowering a bike actualy effects the performance of the bike. I.E. what do you loose what do you gain. Twisties harder are they easier? Whats the best way to lower a bike? And any other information you all think is important in considering this mod. Thanks.

Lowering: Easier to launch! Harder to wheelie. Lose some of the handling for the twisties. IMO looks pretty darn tough....
Raising the rear: Improved handling in the twisties, but sacrifice the ability to launch bike as hard as one thats lowered! Easier to wheelie!

Either can be accomplished with a new set of Dog Bones! Several types available, screw/threaded, two/three position (using pre-drilled holes). Need to change out the triple tree up front to allow the fork tubes to slide through if you want to lower your bike! One last thing NOT a good idea to use Lowering Straps to accomplish the lowering of your bike. Especially when this will be your everyday driver.........

The middle setting on the dogbones doesn't affect handling that much.
It's when you go lower and/or install a lowering triple cover and drop the front also.

I had my bike on the lowest setting, stretched 6 inches and can ride my Busa just fine in the mountains. My biggest gripe? Dragging stuff (boots, exhaust, pegs), other than that no problem. Regular riding, no problem at all except your occasional tall speedbump. Even then, it's just a matter of standing up and walking with your bike over it to clear it.

The middle setting on the dogbones doesn't affect handling that much.
It's when you go lower and/or install a lowering triple cover and drop the front also.

I had my bike on the lowest setting, stretched 6 inches and can ride my Busa just fine in the mountains. My biggest gripe? Dragging stuff (boots, exhaust, pegs), other than that no problem. Regular riding, no problem at all except your occasional tall speedbump. Even then, it's just a matter of standing up and walking with your bike over it to clear it.
+1 i lowered mine.. middle hole in the rear..i still carve the twisties and have lots of fun..

Probably a personal assessment, but I had mine lowered to the middle hole in the rear and about an inch in the front and didn't like it. Raised the front back up and now it feels good again! I'm a tall fella though.

Lowered the rear 2.5 and the front 1.

Installed a 900 pound rear coil, extended the swingarm 4.5inches and installed motorheads undertail... All shocks rebounds are extremely soft

Never bottums out and rides like a Buick
biggrin.gif
High speed riding and turns are a breeze almost feels 100% stock.
blush.gif

DSCF1160_mini.jpg

I lowered mine and I don`t like it. With me +GF looks like crap, too low and handles like a cow.
I`m going back to stock. lowering dogbones anybody in need?

Lowered the rear 2.5 and the front 1.

Installed a 900 pound rear coil, extended the swingarm 4.5inches and installed motorheads undertail... All shocks rebounds are extremely soft

Never bottums out and rides like a Buick
biggrin.gif
High speed riding and turns are a breeze almost feels 100% stock.
blush.gif
I want to do something similar to your setup. I have lowered it 1.25 in front and 1.5 in the rear, now I want to extend my arm 3" and possibly go a little lower in back.
Can you tell me the suspension settings you used and where to get a spring like that. The only thing keeping me from doing extending the rear is the bottoming out and loss of handling. I can handle a little loss in handling but the bottoming out sucks.

Your bike's suspension is "EVERYTHING"! If you want to go fast, put your money into suspension before HP. Quality suspension set up for "YOU" will give you confidence and increase your skills quickly. Lower your bike and it's good for launching if you are a drag racer but that's it. Nothing else gained but much lost. Get your suspension screwed up and you'll either crash or become fearful of a crash due to bad handling characteristics and ride like an old woman. Your busa is low and drags the plastic very easily right out of the box. If you want a poser that you just putt around town for curb appeal, GREAT! But if you want it to perform well, chat with the boys at GP Suspension or the likes. There are several suspension companies out there that know what they are doing and will be happy to give you advice on what you need for whatever application you want. As you can see, ask a suspension question on here and you'll get a wide range of answers. IMO, go to a suspension expert and ask for advice. It may save you lots of heartaches not to mention medical bills? Whatever you do, good luck and just be careful. Your busa right out of the box is a 180 mph machine. If you don't know what you are doing you can easily build yourself a death trap? Be careful and research whatever you do thoroughly!

Your bike's suspension is "EVERYTHING"! If you want to go fast, put your money into suspension before HP. Quality suspension set up for "YOU" will give you confidence and increase your skills quickly. Lower your bike and it's good for launching if you are a drag racer but that's it. Nothing else gained but much lost. Get your suspension screwed up and you'll either crash or become fearful of a crash due to bad handling characteristics and ride like an old woman. Your busa is low and drags the plastic very easily right out of the box. If you want a poser that you just putt around town for curb appeal, GREAT! But if you want it to perform well, chat with the boys at GP Suspension or the likes. There are several suspension companies out there that know what they are doing and will be happy to give you advice on what you need for whatever application you want. As you can see, ask a suspension question on here and you'll get a wide range of answers. IMO, go to a suspension expert and ask for advice. It may save you lots of heartaches not to mention medical bills? Whatever you do, good luck and just be careful. Your busa right out of the box is a 180 mph machine. If you don't know what you are doing you can easily build yourself a death trap? Be careful and research whatever you do thoroughly!
Just cause you may not like a lowered bike don't knock it.

I stated in my post above about what happened in my experiences with me lowering my bike. A mild lowering job is not a big deal, and in most instances will not affect your average riders handling at all.
But i could see in an all out high speed battle in the curves it would hinder the rider to have a lowered bike. As far as the Busa being low at stock height, i don't see it. You'd have to have it banked over pretty damn low to be scraping plastic. If it is a problem, lift links are available, or you may just be on the wrong type of bike. Get a liter.

Tufbusa is right about the suspension, get it dialed in for YOU. If you have questions, don't listen to hearsay go to a reputable suspension guy.

<!--EDIT|GMbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137908657 -->

Ya I dont think I slammed it. If I wanted to slam the bike I would of lowered the rear 3.5inches and the front 2inches.

Now that will ride like ####!!!

Like Tufbusa said.. spend money into tweaking your suspension when lowering your bike. Its the best way togo.

IF you lower your front-end more than the rear, when turning all the weight will fight the turn and making the bike very hard to ride.

Just lower the rear 1inch if you don't wanta speed afew dollars for suspension.

Nothing you do to your suspension is a free ride. If you gain in one area, you give something up in another area. Lowering the front will make the bike tip in quicker but in return it makes the front more prone to skid in mid corner and makes the bike less stable at high speed. I feel it's best to analyze exactly what you want from your ride before changing the suspension. If it's your everyday ride, you're probably not going to be happy if you stiffen up the suspension for great corner speed and end up with it shattering your spinal cord on a day long ride? If you are a straight line speed guy and lower your ride, it's not going to corner worth beans. Some like the soft suspension for a gentle ride (Old dudes like me). However, the softer the suspension the easier it is to bottom out the forks on hard braking or worse, bottom out the forks on cornering making the front easily tucked for a lowside crash. Good common sense goes a long ways when deciding what you want from your busa. Set the suspension up to suit "YOU" and ride it accordingly.

Back