Louder Horn for the Busa

Booker,

I bought a pair of horns, (trumpets) with the compressor from Auto Zone, (~$25). Instalation is simple: I hooked them up to the OEM horn. The compressor fits under the hump, (carefull, must be in vertical position). Unfortunately, the only place I managed to attach the trumpets were the passenger pegs holders. Aesthetically, not the best fit, but I always put safety first. Anyway, very loud, will get everybody's attention, (though my wife hates them). I can honestly sayl that in the last 7-8 months I have had them installed they saved my !@# quite few times.

Last Saturday I attended the Honda Hoot in Ashville, N.C., and similar horns, but chromed (of course) for HD and gold wings were sold for $150! At least for me, chrome is not worth $125.

Has anyone installed a better horn on the BUSA. I find the stocker to be a bit weak. I was thinking of going to my local auto parts store to pick up a louder FIAMM horn, but was wondering if I would need to upgrade my electrical system in anyway.

Hopefully I can just do a swap and get more volume.

Any suggestions?

Totally agree there Booker, had pair of Fiamm shell-like horns on a lot of my previous bikes but haven't found a place on Busa to put such a "double" yet.

Sorry animal front and sides but yours is gone there still is a little in the upper
under the headlight

[This message has been edited by Johnnycheese (edited 26 June 2000).]

I wanna ditch the stock horn and replace it with either the shell type FIAMM horn or just a louder (6 more decibels) FIAMM disk horn. I don't really care if it's the shell type or not.

Did you know???

Every increase of six decibel doubles the loudness.

No need for any "sorry", JC, know you're only trying to help AND that I'm the exception with hardly any fairing sides anymore.

Was thinking of looking for a place under the tailunit BTW, as I remember especially on the RH side there was a lot of room there and even though I installed Scottoiler and YellowBox there it should still have room left for at least 1 horn of the (shell) type I was thinking about.

Booker, please let me know if you find a FIAMM disk type horn that just mounts in place of the OEM Busa horn while being significantly louder (type/name)?

Does anyone know the decibel rating of the stock horn on the BUSA. Usually stock horns are rated at 110 decibels. I'm not sure of the BUSA's though.

Animal and others,

I found a pair of 130 decibel rating FIAMM disk type horns at my local Trak Auto for $10.99. They've even got a high and a Low note. I bought both and will test them to see which one I like the best. The shell type are only rated at 125 decibles and I don't think they will fit in that tight spot, not to mention they were $14.99. They come in both a high and low note as well though.

I also took a look at the stock horn setup. It's a two wire system stock and the FIAMM horns are a two wire system as well. I guess one hot and one ground. The connector on the BUSA looks like it's been made to except an aftermarket horn because it's expandable and contractable. I'm assuming once you've got the body work off it's just a plug and play type deal.

The FIAMM's are just a little larger in diameter, but not enough to cause problems I don't think.

If the stock horn is rated at 110 decibels like most are. These should be significantly louder...over 3X louder to be exact.

Booker,

Spent some time surfing yesterday evening and found FIAMM's own info on these here:

http://www.fiamm.com/eng/01reso.html

So, 130dB is a bit high, single disc type horn rated 109 or 112 according to them, but this really doesn't matter as it's quite like comparing rwhp as frequently done here, ain't it?

Let us know what type you think yours is and if it makes significantly more noise?

The one's I bought look like the K100's and the package they came in says 130 decibels. They look louder than the stocker if that means anything. Only time will tell. I hate to do all this work and the new horn isn't even louder.

That would suck!

Surf the web on keywords Fiamm and horns and you'll find enough evidence on how these improve quite a lot on stock/OEM horn(s) on Japanese bikes in general. Judging from the "meek" sound of the Busa's stocker, I'm expecting this to pay off alright.

The one's I found at Trak Auto are FIAMM K95's. The web page says they are rated at 112 decibels. The package that it came in says it's rated at 130 decibels. Either way I expect it to be louder than stock.

That web page ought to provide sound for each horn. I'd like to hear the difference between the low tone and the high tone.

Back