Looney Guage Cluster/Dashboard

btreaves

Registered
What's up fellas...I have a year 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa w/27,000+ miles and lately the guage cluster has started going nutz.  Basically here's what happens.

- My clock resets to 1:00 everytime I turn the bike on.
- When I turn the bike off my coolant temp jumps immediately into the red and stays there, my fuel guage stays registered at the current fuel level and sometimes my tach and speedo register at 10mph and 2500rpm respectively when the bike is off.

- When I start the bike everything works normally, except my clock starts over at 1:00 and also my trip sets switch back to the current mileage (27,000+miles) on the bike instead of staying at tripset A or B.

Can anyone help me with what may be the cause of this and what I might be able to do to fix it?  I really don't wanna have to put a new guage cluster in it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

btreaves,

First thing I would check would be the battery. How old is it?
Next would be the electrical connections. You may want to take off the plastic, and nose, and disconnect the gauges, blow out any gunk/crap that may be in the connector. You may also want to spray some electrical cleaner on the contacts/connectors (be careful), wipe things off, and reconnect.

Any change? Give that a try. Good luck.

Well the battery is as old as the bike...It's the battery it came with from the factory, but the bike doesn't have any problem firing up the bike at any time, but I guess it is time to replace it as I guess it could go any minute as old as it is. 27k ain't bad for a battery I guess...I always keep it on a "battery tender" if I ain't riding it. I'm gonna disconnect the main connector from the guage cluster and see what happens. Thanks for the advice...I'll let you know how things turn out. If you think of anything else let me know!

My '02 does a similar thing- the gauges 'freeze' and I have to pull the fuel fuse and plug it back in. Then everything resets and is fine for 2 minutes to 2 hours and does it again. I've checked connections, plugs, new battery- still does it. Now have a chronic dead battery condition if bike sits for a week or so.  I'm gettin REAL discouraged, hope someone can figure this out, good luck. mark the fireman:angry: :devil:

Well I guess I'm just gonna have to put it in the shop...I have a 4 year warranty so I hope it's covered. My friends tell me that the instrument cluster is really expensive.

I've got 30k miles on the bike so I'm also gonna have them do a valve job for the first time as well as anything else that needs to be done. I do the easy stuff on my own like spark plugs, oil change, radiator flush, etc.

Well I guess I'm just gonna have to put it in the shop...I have a 4 year warranty so I hope it's covered.  My friends tell me that the instrument cluster is really expensive.

I've got 30k miles on the bike so I'm also gonna have them do a valve job for the first time as well as anything else that needs to be done.  I do the easy stuff on my own like spark plugs, oil change, radiator flush, etc.
Valve job? Is there a problem? Also with all those miles, u ever had to do anything about the starter?

Thanx - Kent

Nope no starter problems at all...Actually I've never had any significant problems with the bike. The instrument cluster is the only thing that's ever gone wrong.

I had the dealer perform the 600 mile breakin service about 1 week after I took delivery back in May of 2000. I did the recall for the Cam Chain Tensioner shortly after receiving the notice in the mail, but that was years ago.

This will be the first valve adjustment. Hell I only changed the spark plugs roughly 5k miles ago. I change the oil every 5k miles or so. I've still got the stock battery in it. I keep it on a battery tender when I'm not riding of course.

The bike is riden hard. I take it up to at least 180mph every time I ride. Myself and the crew that I ride with own BUSA's or ZX-12's and we're always racing each other from stop light to stop light or doing roll-ons.

I had the bike dynoed when I first got it...It made 156rwhp. I had it dynoed last summer and it made 153rwhp, but it was on a different dyno (newer).

I go through a rear tire every 4k miles or so and a front in 8k miles or so.

Last summer I got a bug up my ass and replaced the coolant & spark plugs for the first time...She had 25k miles on her then. I also changed the air filter a little while back.

I'm doing the valve job this year because I think 30k miles is long enough without having them checked. I don't hear anything to indicate anything is wrong, but what the heck. I'm sure something needs to be done at this point.

BTW, the bike is totally stock. Except for the TRE.

Well I finally got my bike back. Turns out that after 30k miles the valves were still within spec, but the throttle bodies were a little out of sync. They said everything else looked fine.

The instrument cluster is shot, so they are going to replace it under warrenty. I'm certainly happy about that. I just hope they don't try to stick me with that wimpy 185mph instrument.

I MUST HAVE A YEAR 2000 200MPH INSTRUMENT CLUSTER.

Great outcome and luck with the bike!
thumbs-up.gif
smile.gif

Back