Looking For Longer Life Tire Suggestions

I am also running the Pirelli angels and currently have 15 thousand km on them and will easily get another 5 thousand km so thats 20 thousand km or 13 thousand miles mostly highway riding and not much winding roads unfortunately pretty happy with that milage and the tyres perform well but my next set I will give the Pilots a shot :thumbsup:
Hi all. With my GPZ 1100 I got about 250 miles on the stock tire.Do not 'member the brand.

I'm astonished, I really am. You guys that get 13-20 THOUSAND miles on a rear tire (any) rear tire...on a Hayabusa amaze me. Do you start out in 3rd gear all the time or? :)

What is going on here? Do tires wear slower in the southern hemisphere? You guys in AUS and NZ are killing it!

The absolute best tire mileage I have ever recieved was ~7k miles from an old set of Avon Storms. Hard as a rock and never really liked (hated!) them. My favorite combo previously was a Metzler Z6 Rear/M3 front combo. Around 6k, even wear front to rear and great feel. The Metzeler 01's I am running right now I really like a lot and am looking at nearly the same as the Avons for wear. Time will tell.

One more vote for Angel GTs, I get 15,000 km out of them easy, can't say there are any drawbacks to them.

Nup Mikes 1 outta the bag as far as tyre life is concerned, dont know anyone else that gets remotely near his 34000km..

Pretty much all Pilot Rd tyres are 10000km sometimes 12 to me.

Tried 1 set of Pilot powers on the GSX1400 really liked them but 2500kms later and they're rooted too many $$ for short thrills.

Tried Angels when they were first released , reasonable ks but not my liking - back to Michelin PRds.

Going to try out a Avon 3D Ultra Sport next on the back with a Pilot Power 3 up front.

I've ran a lot of Avon Storms, and currently have the 3D XM Storms on the Busa and 2 of my Blackbirds. With 10k miles on a set, the rear of the Busa will make 13K, but since the front is starting to show some cupping I will probably be changing them out before I get to the wear bars.

Have a set of Michelin PR's on the ZX14 and they will make 8-9K miles.

Most of my riding is straight slab sport touring. I do make it to the Ozarks occasionally, and the constant braking and acceleration will cut the life of a tire a lot. Had a set of Pirelli's on one of the Blackbirds and they only made 3K miles of Ozark riding before they were spent.

I've ran 2 sets of avon storms and get around 8 thou out of them,not the best for track day riding but are a good all round tyre that gives decent levels of grip and good milage. Because storms are a older model tyre they are good value for money also they dont square off.Most of my riding is in country lanes and mostly dry weather

Bridgestone BT-016 is cheap enough to replace often and I don't care what anyone says, it's a damned good tire for cornering. I have a friend who looses all his back chicken strips on these and most of the front. Lasts better than a street track tire but I'm sure you can get something with less grip that will last much longer. Continental Road Attack or Avon Storm was favored for long life back in the days when I cared about that. I go with Pirell Super Corsas now and I even used Pirelli racing slicks. They're gone in a wink of an eye for most. I make them last me a season but they are down to the carcass where I braked hard.

What is going on here ?

Do tires wear slower in the southern hemisphere ?

You guys in Australia and New Zealand are killing it !

The absolute best tire mileage I have ever received
was ~7 k miles from an old set of Avon Storms .

Hard as a rock and never really liked ( hated ! ) them .

My favorite combo previously was
a Metzler Z 6 Rear / M 3 front combo .

Around 6 k ,
even wear front to rear
and great feel .

The Metzeler 01's I am running right now
I really like a lot and am looking at nearly
the same as the Avons for wear .

Time will tell .

full.jpg

No secret why my tires don't last very long ~ 9 rear tires for every front tire that I wear out . . .

Hayabusa 1060.jpg

Last edited:
What is going on here? Do tires wear slower in the southern hemisphere? You guys in AUS and NZ are killing it!

The absolute best tire mileage I have ever recieved was ~7k miles from an old set of Avon Storms. Hard as a rock and never really liked (hated!) them. My favorite combo previously was a Metzler Z6 Rear/M3 front combo. Around 6k, even wear front to rear and great feel. The Metzeler 01's I am running right now I really like a lot and am looking at nearly the same as the Avons for wear. Time will tell.
Don't know about Aussie,but our climate is cooler overall. Cooler air temperatures often mean cooler roads . most North island roads are either hot mix asphalt or small chip.

semi got me using Pirelli Angels when I had the rear tire wear on me in Eureka years ago; he had a set he offered up in a pinch. I've never looked back; love 'em!

I have used nothin but michelin tires for years now. I just put a set of PR4 gt on and love the feel, still new so don't know about mileage yet.

Back