Looking at getting a Hayabusa, Gen 1 or 2

seltzer

Registered
Hi all,

I know this topic has been brought up countless times so I apologize in advance :D

I've always been into heavier sports bikes and I've been looking for an upgrade from my CBR1100XX.
I have a few friends who swear by the Hayabusa and after getting to try out a couple, I have found perfection - it's really just a matter of Gen 1 or 2. Regardless of which I pick, I have two really good options, both with a full maintenance history since new and below 30,000 KM (18,600 miles). It may be worth pointing out that the gen 1 has an upgraded braking system. Both options are priced quite close to each-other since clean examples of the Gen 1 are becoming more valuable in Australia ever since the release of the Gen 3. I'm also not afraid of putting a bit of money down to improve the suspension regardless of which option I get

On the couple of test rides I have done, I got a feeling for both the Gen 1 and 2 - I couldn't find a real difference but I never got a chance to push either to their limits either. For me, it's less about speed (blasphemy, I know) and more about handling & comfort as well as low-mid range torque. Most of my riding is on twisty mountain roads with the occasional chill interstate highway trip, so being the lame bloke I am, I'm almost always at the speed limit.

At face value, I really prefer the look of the Gen 1 over the 2 (not because of the tail, it grew on me instantly) - but beyond that I'm stumped on what my best option would be.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to reading back from y'all.

It all depends which one you prefer, I’ve ridden over 250,000kms on a Gen 2 and found it to be perfection compared to a Gen 1 but an updated version does that.

If I had the option to buy either generation again, it would be a no brainer for a Gen 2.

gen 1 has an upgraded braking system

(I realize it is likely a typo but for clarity, the 2013 gen 2 has the upgraded calipers and antilock.)

From the Blackbird to the Hayabusa, the same order as the historical passing of the speed crown. Nice.

You can always make brake hardware upgrades but one consideration is, would you appreciate antilock brakes? (There are good debates around here over this issue.)

Gen 1 parts and accessories are dropping off of the map. If you have had to acquisition any new OEM knickknack's for your Blackbird in recent years you may be innately familiar with this challenge. This may be a particular issue for you due to the level of availability in Australia.

I have a '99 VFR. To @Dai.'s point, my gen 2 is supremely refined, like controlling a Lexus. The flaws and rawness of the older bikes have a definite charm to them. Test riding a bit more, you may notice a bit more thump-thump on the older bike. Or maybe not...

Most of my riding is on twisty mountain roads with the occasional chill interstate highway trip, so being the lame bloke I am, I'm almost always at the speed limit.

King of Lames here. (Dang that would have been a more apropos nickname for the forum oh well.) I spend inordinate time on local parkways that have all the twists but at 25-35 mph.

...I have two really good options, both with a full maintenance history since new and below 30,000 KM (18,600 miles).

Has the older bike sat at all? A thorough fuel system maintenance is practically the rule for that unless the bike has been continually used. If maintenance is truly up to date, yes there can be very little difference between the bikes and a tough choice.

Welcome to the forum @seltzer

You have a real conundrum there....when I was looking at Hayabusas, I decided I wanted a gen 2 only for the fact I wanted (at the time) the latest version and my bike had a lot of upgrades already done so was perfect. If you look at the natural progression, the gen 2 is a better bike than the gen 1 and the gen 3 is a better bike than the gen 2...it evolutionary...

Asking a forum panel here about which generation Hayabusa to get is a tough thing to do as we love all of them, there are many members here who have owned all the generations and they have good knowledge but in the end, it's you who will have to look at it, ride it and do the maintenance so it's really up to you as to what you like best.

You can go into here and read up on the differences between the generations:

Hi all,

I know this topic has been brought up countless times so I apologize in advance :D

I've always been into heavier sports bikes and I've been looking for an upgrade from my CBR1100XX.
I have a few friends who swear by the Hayabusa and after getting to try out a couple, I have found perfection - it's really just a matter of Gen 1 or 2. Regardless of which I pick, I have two really good options, both with a full maintenance history since new and below 30,000 KM (18,600 miles). It may be worth pointing out that the gen 1 has an upgraded braking system. Both options are priced quite close to each-other since clean examples of the Gen 1 are becoming more valuable in Australia ever since the release of the Gen 3. I'm also not afraid of putting a bit of money down to improve the suspension regardless of which option I get

On the couple of test rides I have done, I got a feeling for both the Gen 1 and 2 - I couldn't find a real difference but I never got a chance to push either to their limits either. For me, it's less about speed (blasphemy, I know) and more about handling & comfort as well as low-mid range torque. Most of my riding is on twisty mountain roads with the occasional chill interstate highway trip, so being the lame bloke I am, I'm almost always at the speed limit.

At face value, I really prefer the look of the Gen 1 over the 2 (not because of the tail, it grew on me instantly) - but beyond that I'm stumped on what my best option would be.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to reading back from y'all.
Hi. I would look at some 2016 up ZX 14 too. If I get other bike it will be the 14.

Hi @seltzer
Looks like your in Melbourne. I'm in Brisbane...
There's quite a few engineering differences between the two gens. But if you're looking to be a collector who rides it occasionally, then definitely go the Gen1 because you're right - they are getting more expensive as they get older.
However if it's a daily, then honestly I'd just go with a gen II. I wouldn't want to risk a collectable gen 1 on twisties daily.

If you're not keen on ABS, that's ok too. When then Gen II came out, since '08 you're good up until 2011 from which in 2012 when the gen II re-fresh was introduced with ABS and front Brembo monoblocs. I rode a friend's '08 model without ABS with front Tokiko's and preferred it. But if you want a newer bike, (low km) as long as you buy a gen II that's a 2016 production or older, you can delete the ABS. Legislation in this country came in Australia wide that if any bike manufactured with ABS from the factory from 2017, you can't delete it unfortunately. Mine's a 2018 so I just upgraded the brake system around the ABS. Some owners won't care for track work, but if you're in a crash on a public road and they inspect it, they'll void your insurance and registration. Something to think about.

I think the Gen II is a good choice being in abundance. There'll be a lot more Gen II's for sale because of Gen III trade-ups at some good prices.

Last edited:
(I realize it is likely a typo but for clarity, the 2013 gen 2 has the upgraded calipers and antilock.)
Thanks for the reply! To clarify, I was referring to the Gen 1, both front and rear brakes (lines, calipers, pads, you name it) have been overhauled on it with some considerable bite.

You can always make brake hardware upgrades but one consideration is, would you appreciate antilock brakes? (There are good debates around here over this issue.)
Antilock(ABS) is a factor I'm somewhat considering here. Not to sound too full of myself but I think once you've got quite a few years of riding experience, the need for it diminishes a lot. My take on the matter is that it's a fantastic aid which you definitely should have for your first few years on the road, but once you have a good understanding of braking technique (and high quality well maintained brakes!), you can afford to live without it. With that being said... It only take one serious "OH SH!@" moment for that to change :p

Gen 1 parts and accessories are dropping off of the map. If you have had to acquisition any new OEM knickknack's for your Blackbird in recent years you may be innately familiar with this challenge. This may be a particular issue for you due to the level of availability in Australia.

I have a '99 VFR. To @Dai.'s point, my gen 2 is supremely refined, like controlling a Lexus. The flaws and rawness of the older bikes have a definite charm to them. Test riding a bit more, you may notice a bit more thump-thump on the older bike. Or maybe not...
Both of these factors are absolutely true. My friends have good connections with the Australian Busa scene and there seems to be a healthy supply of parts + a really useful aftermarket depending on what the situation calls for.
I have definitely felt some hardship finding particular parts for my Blackbird but to be frank, the majority of my bikes have been pre-2000 models (the oldest being a 1993 Yamaha GTS1000!) so I already know what to expect lol. As you said, the rawness and "personality" of older bikes are quite attractive.

Has the older bike sat at all? A thorough fuel system maintenance is practically the rule for that unless the bike has been continually used. If maintenance is truly up to date, yes there can be very little difference between the bikes and a tough choice.
The previous owner never let it sit for more than a couple of weeks, but it wasn't a daily either. The logbook + giant stack of mechanics bills and parts receipts shows that services were done at the proper intervals, whether those intervals were reached due to time or mileage. The last service it received was a fairly major one with all perishables (be it tyres, chain+sprocket, filters, clutch, etc) replaced and a tune-up. This is a reason I'm leaning towards the gen 1. While they both have a well recorded history, the gen 1's owner absolutely takes the cake in keeping up with no gaps. It's the first time I've seen such a detailed and honest history.

Looks like your in Melbourne. I'm in Brisbane...
There's quite a few engineering differences between the two gens. But if you're looking to be a collector who rides it occasionally, then definitely go the Gen1 because you're right - they are getting more expensive as they get older.
However if it's a daily, then honestly I'd just go with a gen II. I wouldn't want to risk a collectable gen 1 on twisties daily.
Ah, Brisbane, I haven't been up in a few years. How's the weather treating you up there?

This point did get me thinking. While I won't be daily'ing it in the twisties, it definitely would be something I'd be doing at least once a week. Not to mention, if I no longer can work from home, I'd be using it as a commuter too (not on the twisties of course). I understand the risk associated with daily'ing an old collectible and thanks to prior experience, I keep a fairly high budget & stock of extra spares if the unfortunate occasion does arise where they're necessary. In this regard, my only real concern boils down to mechanical reliability.

As for a potential writeoff after a crash, it's something which I believe either happens or doesn't. So long as I do everything on my part (good road manners+technique, maintenance, insurance, etc), the rest is up to how vengeful the local wildlife and traffic are feeling. As a daily rider, these are risks I have to accept and I don't usually let it get in the way of a bike I want to buy. For a Gen 1 though, I'll admit those feelings are slightly different, especially considering how mint of a specimen the one I'm getting is (My reply to Hayabusa Wannabe goes into a bit of detail about the maintenance history).

Cheers for your response mate, stay safe up there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! To clarify, I was referring to the Gen 1, both front and rear brakes have been overhauled on it with some considerable bite.

Antilock(ABS) is a factor I'm somewhat considering here. Not to sound too full of myself but I think once you've got quite a few years of riding experience, the need for it diminishes a lot. My take on the matter is that it's a fantastic aid which you definitely should have for your first few years on the road, but once you have a good understanding of braking technique (and high quality well maintained brakes!), you can afford to live without it. With that being said... It only take one serious "OH SH!@" moment for that to change :p

Both of these factors are absolutely true. My friends have good connections with the Australian Busa scene and there seems to be a healthy supply of parts + a really useful aftermarket depending on what the situation calls for.
I have definitely felt some hardship finding particular parts for my Blackbird but to be frank, the majority of my bikes have been pre-2000 models (the oldest being a 1993 Yamaha GTS1000!) so I already know what to expect lol. As you said, the rawness and "personality" of older bikes are quite attractive.

The previous owner never let it sit for more than a couple of weeks, but it wasn't a daily either. The logbook + giant stack of mechanics bills and parts receipts shows that services were done at the proper intervals, whether those intervals were reached due to time or mileage. The last service it received was a fairly major one with all perishables (be it tyres, chain+sprocket, filters, clutch, etc) replaced and a tune-up. This is a reason I'm leaning towards the gen 1. While they both have a well recorded history, the gen 1's owner absolutely takes the cake in keeping up with no gaps. It's the first time I've seen such a detailed and honest history.

Ah, Brisbane, I haven't been up in a few years. How's the weather treating you up there?

This point did get me thinking. While I won't be daily'ing it in the twisties, it definitely would be something I'd be doing at least once a week. Not to mention, if I no longer can work from home, I'd be using it as a commuter too (not on the twisties of course). I understand the risk associated with daily'ing an old collectible and thanks to prior experience, I keep a fairly high budget & stock of extra spares if the unfortunate occasion does arise where they're necessary. In this regard, my only real concern boils down to mechanical reliability.

As for a potential writeoff after a crash, it's something which I believe either happens or doesn't. So long as I do everything on my part (good road manners+technique, maintenance, insurance, etc), the rest is up to how vengeful the local wildlife and traffic are feeling. As a daily rider, these are risks I have to accept and I don't usually let it get in the way of a bike I want to buy. For a Gen 1 though, I'll admit those feelings are slightly different, especially considering how mint of a specimen this one is.

Cheers for your response mate, stay safe up there.
Sounds like you've made your mind up...

Good luck with the purchase.

I'm just posting to what I can see happens in the end. The suspense is killing me. :laugh:

119_1952.jpg

08 Hayabusa knee drag-6.jpg

DSC02375-1.JPG

I’ve had a few Gen-1’s and currently have a Gen-1, Gen-3 and a B-King (same Gen-2 motor).

Im currently looking at buying another Busa. I’m after a 08-12 non-ABS Gen-2.

Gen-1’s are not bad bikes but too many eat second gear, one of mine did and I’ve seen too many others. To the extent folk are now advertising “Gen-1 second gears done here!”.

Never liked the Gen-1 brakes, even new or well maintained they were average on a good day. Gen-2 and onward radials are more than just next level.

Busa’s really do get better as the models go on. Gen-1’s got different subframes, fuel pumps and ECU as the years went on, Gen-2’s got the bigger motor, lots of improvemts and proper brakes, later Gen-2’s got ABS and Brembo’s. Gen-3’s are by far the nicest all round useable streetbike but at a salty price.

Im only after an early Gen-2 as it’ll be a race bike and early ones are a bit cheaper being older and non ABS (that I don’t want).

Owning a Gen-1 is no bad thing, I have a streetfightered one and I’m building another, but the Gen-2 really is a better bike in many ways.

Thanks for the reply! To clarify, I was referring to the Gen 1, both front and rear brakes (lines, calipers, pads, you name it) have been overhauled on it with some considerable bite.
I have a Gen-1 with 6 pots. Master and caliper in good condition, braided lines, good fluid and pads. My bike running its stock and neglected several year old radial system will out brake it no problem.

Im West of Brisbane. This was last night.

744E438A-B469-46EC-91B9-992DB16D8C9D.jpeg

6526162C-FB81-4EF7-868F-37D8A4DC7F0C.jpeg

In Australia the ‘99 Gen-1 in copper / bronze is desirable, the most desirable colour of the original.

Later Gen-1’s have risen in price and are holding strong, not so much that folk are desperate to own one, simply everything has! From old Kats and GSX11’s to Massey Ferguson tractors and Toyota Land Cruisers and everything else since covid hit. There’s nothing wrong with liking, wanting, owning a Gen-1, but other than a 99 they aren’t the first or the best Busa and although they are worth having they aren’t really that desirable in a Busa timeline. (IMO)

Ive had a few…

124322B6-A85C-4AE3-AC95-58A25C958338.jpeg

Last edited:
Back