lockup clutch

lowandslow08

Registered
Has anybody used the RPM single stage lockup clutch?, ever since the turbo and near stock gearing has been installed its killing clutches at the track. For the lockup, springs and modified clutch cover and pressure plate exchanged its $525.

Almost pulled the trigger on one last year. I never heard any bad things about it. Very streetable as I understand other owners who have them. ?????

A multistage is the better choice, especially if you are dragracing the bike. Properly set up, it allows you to "throw away" the clutch lever on the line while the clutch slips, and then locks. I have one guy doing consistent 7.30s on an MTC multistage lockup. The single-stage you are considering is more suited to a big hp street bike that needs the clutch to lock on top. The single-stage would be more of a handful to master in a drag situation, although many have used that with success, as well. Either one is suitable for a street bike. The only one that is not would be a slider . . .

is it a lost cause trying to hand clutch a turbo bike at the track? i get that feeling from reading those articles.

is it a lost cause trying to hand clutch a turbo bike at the track? i get that feeling from reading those articles.

I raced my turbo bike since 2008 throwing the clutch by hand. It was not until my clutch basket failed that it became a handful. Ultimately, I always wanted to go to a multi-stage because, as it was previously mentioned by Powerhouse, it really is the way to go if you want to leave the line consistently. Throwing the clutch by hand on a bike with high horsepower is an art and very tough to repeat.

Hell, read the article I just wrote about my crash. That was from not regulating a manual clutch properly on a bike I had never ridden before. It had less HP then my bike and I was complacent.

Riding it without a lock-up is not a lost cause by any means, but I can tell you, after using the Hays set-up I have now I would never go back. I did my time trying to tame the beast by hand, now I just want to ride and be consistent.

I raced my turbo bike since 2008 throwing the clutch by hand. It was not until my clutch basket failed that it became a handful. Ultimately, I always wanted to go to a multi-stage because, as it was previously mentioned by Powerhouse, it really is the way to go if you want to leave the line consistently. Throwing the clutch by hand on a bike with high horsepower is an art and very tough to repeat.

Hell, read the article I just wrote about my crash. That was from not regulating a manual clutch properly on a bike I had never ridden before. It had less HP then my bike and I was complacent.

Riding it without a lock-up is not a lost cause by any means, but I can tell you, after using the Hays set-up I have now I would never go back. I did my time trying to tame the beast by hand, now I just want to ride and be consistent.

Paul is right. I had one customer with a stock wheelbase bike in Mirock Real Street last year. No lockups were allowed in that class, and he was able to "hand clutch" the bike to 7.8 at 185+ with only 325 rwhp. Needless to say, he is REALLY talented . . .

I ended up buying a RPM single stage lockup with the pressure plate and quick access cover.(used) Also bought a new MTC billet clutch basket.

I ended up buying a RPM single stage lockup with the pressure plate and quick access cover.(used) Also bought a new MTC billet clutch basket.

You will not be disappointed. When I was using the RPM on my turbo bike I had nuts and bolts only on three arms with the other three arms w/o nuts and bolts. The static springs you will have to play with some to get the launch you want. I started with all 6 stock springs. I believe I ended up using 4 stock and 2 of Brocks medium springs to get the set-up I needed.

You will not be disappointed. When I was using the RPM on my turbo bike I had nuts and bolts only on three arms with the other three arms w/o nuts and bolts. The static springs you will have to play with some to get the launch you want. I started with all 6 stock springs. I believe I ended up using 4 stock and 2 of Brocks medium springs to get the set-up I needed.

Thanks for all the info, that sounds like a good baseline to start with.

Today I attempted to install the lockup and when the arms are extended they are not even close to touching the pressure plate. The studs on the welded hub measure 1.270 and the gap between the button on the pressure plate and the lockup is .470. Are shorter studs needed?

I ended up taking the lockup to a buddys machine shop and he took .340 off of the six perches, now the gap between the buttons and the lockup is .130. Took it for a ride and its working good.

Back