license place bracket

Hawk14

Registered
Has anyone out ther fabricated their own side mounted license plate bracket? I've been considering one to go with my TopGun undertail, but the ones that I have found out there are running between $80 and $100 large. Call me cheap,but I don't think I need to spend that kinda money for one of those heavy, bulky things.

Anyone who has made something that can attach to either side of the bike, I'd appreciate your comments, assistance, ideas, etc....

Thanks, Hawk

use the carbon fiber one included with the tail.  I did.... check out this thread. I rigged it up in 5 min.

<!--EDIT|fstbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080005786 -->

Thanks Fst busa, that looks like the perfect solution. Looks great and no extra money out of the pocket

I just carry the plate in the trunk, I think that it looks cleaner without it.
UHHHH...TICKET?
rock.gif

yeah even if I would carry mine along I would still get a ticket for not having it visible.

Hard to say on that one i went a month with my plate in the trunk of the bike and never got a ticket or pulled over for that fact and i had cops follow me around the loop in this one town as long as ya didn't seem to do anything outta the ordinary they musta figured i wasn't worth there time
laugh.gif

Here is one you might want to look at.

Yup thats the one i got had it powder coated black to blend in with my bike more damn nice setup don't see a issue with bending it at all
thumbs-up.gif

My husband's designed something for my Busa since installing the undertail; it can sit either long ways, so the license plate sits like it's supposed to, or it can be turned and the plate can sit sideways (looks better, but illegal in many states I'm sure)...it's connected to the frame on the brake side, right beside the exhaust can...

Anyway, I told him that he might get some requests for brackets after you guys see it, but he's doing it at work and won't be able to fabricate many...I will share his design template when I get it for those fabricators out there...

Hi guys, well here is what I did, I took the licence plate frame that came on the bike( when you cut off the fender, that plate that stays screwed on the fender !!) and made an extra hole in it since I have a chrome chain guard and the holes don't align properly !!
I mounted the frame on the bike vertically using one of the allenhead bolts from the chain guard.

It's the cheapest way, all you have to do probably is to drill an extra hole if the holes don't match.
I'll try to post some pics so You'll have an idea what I mean !!!
cool.gif

argue.gif

check on the laws of yer locale B4 you spend a nickel.

here in this town , you'd last about 5 minutes before gettin pulled over with a side mount plate that doesn't sit horizontal,isn't lit up day n night, isn't completely visible,etc etc .
ask a cop what he thinks , he'll give ya the straight dope .
straight dope.....
laugh.gif

here is the law for all you iowa boys

321.37 Display of plates.
Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, motorized bicycle or a truck tractor shall be attached to the motor vehicle, one in the front and the other in the rear. The registration plate issued for a motorcycle or other vehicle required to be registered hereunder shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle. The registration plate issued for a truck tractor shall be attached to the front of the truck tractor. The special plate issued to a dealer shall be attached on the rear of the vehicle when operated on the highways of this state.

Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle which is model year 1948 or older, and reconstructed or specially constructed vehicles built to resemble a model year 1948 vehicle or older, other than a truck registered for more than five tons, motorcycle, or truck tractor, may display one registration plate on the rear of the vehicle if the other registration plate issued to the vehicle is carried in the vehicle at all times when the vehicle is operated on a public highway.

It is unlawful for the owner of a vehicle to place any frame around or over the registration plate which does not permit full view of all numerals and letters printed on the registration plate

feel free to side mount all day long
laugh.gif

Back