Licence Plate Holder

JaspMan

Donating Member
Registered
Greetings to all,

I put a Texas Fairing Undertail on my '06 Busa. The licence plate was re-located down on the swing arm. After almost three years of riding this way I was stopped by a State Trooper (PA) and told that the location of my plate was illegal and that the plate had to be horizonal and not vertical. I was wondering if anybody could give me some ideas on brackets to mount the plate back to the origanal place on the undertail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Enforcing that law in FL too. You could try a horizontal swing arm mount, they seem to be legal, or some small angle brackets to put it on your undertail.

Thanks for the reply. I would like to put it back in orginal spot as not to draw any un-wanted attention.

I'm over in NJ, bought my bike used w/ the vertical swingarm plate mount already on it. Haven't been stopped once for it, and anytimes I talk to officers while on or by my bike, they never say anything about it... :::Knock on wood:::

It is Illegal here in VA as well...I personally don't know of anyone getting pulled over for it but they were ticketed for it after being pulled over for something else. Here is how mine is set which you may be interested in getting. It's a rear passenger peg license plate bracket. Pretty cool and don't have to worry about lowering the bike and the plate getting in the way! :thumbsup:

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

Thanks for the replies. rekeene's bike looks sweet! Look'd at that holder on a couple of web sites. Just want to make sure it's legal before putting out 175.00. Again, thanks for the info.

If you don't mind me asking what part of PA did they stop you in. I have not heard of any one getting stopped for plates since the Chopper Era. When they started changing the mounts around I was told they altered the law on inspections. I was stopped by a state trooper down near Berwick with my 750 to see where my plate was at because he liked the look. He said as long as there was a light he couldn't see anything wrong with it but that was 4 years ago. Good luck in your search.

Hey Paulmc,

Mountainhome, PA. When I told the officer that it had passed inspection 3 times he informed me that inspections had nothing to do with it(?). The law clearly states the plate must be horizional and lighted. He told me to get it fixed and let me go.

I got stopped for the same thing 3 years ago....just a warning. It's still vertical & I haven't been stopped again. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

It sound like the county is hard up for money Ive drove in pa and never had any problems in live in ohio its ok on how the plate is mount just need a light on it

I hope that is not a sign of whats to come for the upcoming season. We do alot of riding up that way and they have usually been easy to deal with to a certain point. Good luck.

Good luck to all you guys and ladies to. The bracket I have is great. uses the two bolts for the brake calibar to secure it. If I didn't have to go through Barrett Township every night on the way to work I work test the waters. I would much rather put the money from the fine into a new tire ;).

It is Illegal here in VA as well...I personally don't know of anyone getting pulled over for it but they were ticketed for it after being pulled over for something else. Here is how mine is set which you may be interested in getting. It's a rear passenger peg license plate bracket. Pretty cool and don't have to worry about lowering the bike and the plate getting in the way! :thumbsup:

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

hey rekeene did you install a hotbodies untertail kit once you removed that license plate fender? where did you get your license plate holder and what was the cost. looks really nice thinking bout getting one hate the factory one. oh do you have a light on it? thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back