Let's talk Green Laser Weapons Sight M4

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Ok you gun nuts. Let's say a friend of mine had an M4 that wanted to add a tactical green laser weapons sight. There are several different types (laser only, laser/light combo, and even some that include a handgrip). Would appreaciate some education as to what kind, and where would my friend might find it at the best price.

The one that really caught my friends eye (so far) is this one:

Crimson Trace MVF-515 Modular Vertical Foregrip Laser Sight For AR-15 Rifles MVF-515G / MVF515R FREE S&H MVF-515 R, MVF-515 G. Crimson Trace Laser Sights.

Keith here's my take on lasers.

For self defense I dont like them. Reason is that your mind will train itself to wait until it sees the dot on target. That amount of time is all most will need to draw and fire at you. So the time it takes for you to wait and see your dot may be plenty of time for an assailant to drop you.
On rifles yes it may work but only of its a laser visible only with night vision on. A friend of mine has a green laser on his fn pdw. It's flipping bright and strong and even in bright Florida sunshine you can see it across the street. Even if you can see the dot most likely your still gonna aim down sights so what does it serve? What does he think he needs a laser for or is it just gonna be a toy on his gun? If it were me I'd just put an aimpoint or acog on it. Bright lights may blind an attacker but flip side is they will identify your position and give a good target to shoot at.

Only how I feel.

Ps......Keith keep an eye out for the mailman today :whistle:

Looks like a nice set up. Whatever he ends up with I would suggest spend that money at a local shop. I purchased a light/lazer combo a couple years ago at a gun show for a tactical 12 guage. Spent about twice as much as I had planned because I wanted a good quality piece. It seems to be pretty decent quality until I put in the first round of Law Enforcement Buckshot and the mount for the combo flew into piece and yanked the fasteners apart.

If it were a local shop they may have stood behind the quality. (I never thought about the manufacturer, but still just a suggestion)

Good thoughts Blanca, mine was more for the completeness of the gun than actual use...I have been just as happy without it and never thought any more about putting another one on

Keith here's my take on lasers.

For self defense I dont like them. Reason is that your mind will train itself to wait until it sees the dot on target. That amount of time is all most will need to draw and fire at you. So the time it takes for you to wait and see your dot may be plenty of time for an assailant to drop you.
On rifles yes it may work but only of its a laser visible only with night vision on. A friend of mine has a green laser on his fn pdw. It's flipping bright and strong and even in bright Florida sunshine you can see it across the street. Even if you can see the dot most likely your still gonna aim down sights so what does it serve? What does he think he needs a laser for or is it just gonna be a toy on his gun? If it were me I'd just put an aimpoint or acog on it. Bright lights may blind an attacker but flip side is they will identify your position and give a good target to shoot at.

Only how I feel.

Ps......Keith keep an eye out for the mailman today :whistle:

I knew my thread title would catch your eyes Saiid, so I appreciate your prompt and valued response. I wouldn't consider using this in 'self-defense' mode - sometimes the best defense is a good offense :)

My friend tells me he's already got an red dot sight (EOTech); but a green dot on the bad guys chest at night might give someone cause to pause; you KNOW what it means... The spotlight option does give someone trained such as you a target, but for the common criminal it may blind/confuse him long enough to let you ID what you are intending to shoot at night.

So, having said all that, do you have any recommendations (brands), places to buy? Bottom line, it's all a "toy on a gun" until the actual moment you use it for real...just curious.

Lastly, funny thing - as soon as I finished reading your post, I got a call said there is a huge box up front for me (I hope it's not ticking) so I'm gonna go check it out now (look for another thread shortly) :thumbsup:

A laser on the suspect is an unreal intimidation. I’ve been in a few situations with mine with the suspects begging that it be turned off. Now that I’m not in law enforcement, I don’t see the value myself.

That EOTech is a pretty good choice on a long gun. That is what I’m using and I would not swap it for a laser. I would likely also go for something that was rail mounted with only the activation pad located on the pistol fore grip. I’m not sure who has the best quality units but I never thought Crimson Trace was the high end. I do own one CT on my snub Smith, however. I have a Lasermax on one of my Sig 226s. If I was to add a laser to my AR I would look at other options than the CT. Something comparable to EOTechs quality or better.

laser sights intention is to give a sight picture when you cant see your iron sights well in low light, if you focus on something close to your face when you have limited light everything else tends to get fuzzy and darker. only other benefit is when training.

real world practicality is none, a high powered rifle should be the last thing you fire off in a neighborhood or in your own home. just imho.

at the end of the day this is what its all about
2haeql9oyt.jpg

I personally see the laser as a deterrent and also an aid. Not necessarily on an M4 but definitely for a small pistol which has no clear sight picture. IF and I mean IF I ever have to use my small pocket gun, I won't have time to try to line up sights that don't exist, and the laser will only help with point aiming. I can't ever see it as a hindrance more than an aid. Of course, everyone has their own opinions, but I can't imagine the stress levels involved at the time I would need to actually use deadly force, and any advantage I can have over the bad guy I'm all for.. I'm sure I'll take some abuse for that, but YMMV..

I have a Comb Green lazer and led light on my pistol at the house, I have used the light before, never used the lazer i can say at night the lazer and be seen .5 mile away. it insane.

I like the light better than the laser also. It helps quite often when walking the front yard at midnight to show me whats behind all those glowing eyes. :laugh:

I personally see the laser as a deterrent and also an aid. Not necessarily on an M4 but definitely for a small pistol which has no clear sight picture. IF and I mean IF I ever have to use my small pocket gun, I won't have time to try to line up sights that don't exist, and the laser will only help with point aiming. I can't ever see it as a hindrance more than an aid. Of course, everyone has their own opinions, but I can't imagine the stress levels involved at the time I would need to actually use deadly force, and any advantage I can have over the bad guy I'm all for.. I'm sure I'll take some abuse for that, but YMMV..

With a laser on a pistol you will train yourself without realizing to wait for the dot. After all the immediate stress you talk about what happens if you don't see the dot? This is why practice practice practice with point shooting from a low ready position or from a closed holster if the range allows it will train you to raise gun look forward and fire center of mass. Do it enough it will become second nature. I practice with a .22 pistol and coke can if I can. No sights lok at it and plink it all over back and forth. You will soon learn point shooting. Me personally, I wish they made pistols flat top no sights.

With a laser on a pistol you will train yourself without realizing to wait for the dot. After all the immediate stress you talk about what happens if you don't see the dot? This is why practice practice practice with point shooting from a low ready position or from a closed holster if the range allows it will train you to raise gun look forward and fire center of mass. Do it enough it will become second nature. I practice with a .22 pistol and coke can if I can. No sights lok at it and plink it all over back and forth. You will soon learn point shooting. Me personally, I wish they made pistols flat top no sights.

kimber used to offer a 1911 like that, just had a groove down the slide. as much as i dont like kimber i wish more would do that as well.

I kinda agree with a pistol (better to point shoot and get round off than to wait for dot). But this would be for a rifle not home defense.

Sorry I have no recommendations because I have no real exp with lasers on rifles.
Is he going to be lazing targets for air dropped munitions?

:laugh:

exactly the reason i took mine off and went back to the night sights, by the way i have a crimson trace laser grip for sale or trade for a large frame beretta. sorry for the thread jack there.

I just go to the Crouch Position like I'm playing call of duty 3 :laugh:

Quick Draw Glock Video...

Draw With Glock 9mm Pistol - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I just go to the Crouch Position like I'm playing call of duty 3 :laugh:

Quick Draw Glock Video...

Draw With Glock 9mm Pistol - YouTube[/url]

That's fast and shot to shot times are fast as well. Faster than me most likely at this point.
But his hand right next to holster would not pass in most competitions.
Your hands have to be free and out not cupping holster.

And I don't know if it's just me on my phone but from it it looks like first round went into the ground?
I would like to have seen the three impacts on the plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see and heard 3 impacts on the plate.

I'd shoot myself in the foot trying to do that :whistle:

Back