lefthanded-ness

suprafly

Registered
is it possible for the throttle to be placed on the left side of the bike instead of on the default right side???

you see, i'm a lefty and it would be more comfortable for me to have my gas on the left instead of right, so can it be switched???

suprafly out......................................

NO...
biggrin.gif

Actually probably just make sure you run a Race shift pattern as well, make damn sure that anyone else that touches your bike will be in a world of hurt in short order.

But the real uestion is would you swap the clutch and brake as well? You would confuse the hell outta people thats for sure...

weirdo

thats like saying you want the gas pedal of your car on the left side cuz you are left footed.

<!--EDIT|fstbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1071071804 -->

It could be done, but it would be expensive, and a safety hazard. Imagine the mechanic who's going to pull your bike into his shop, and wrecks it because the controls are reversed. You would have to reverse the clutch and brake levers since they're designed so that the throttle goes closed as you reach for the brake.

Have you ever seen a left-handed Cresent wrench? I have.
biggrin.gif

The worm gear to open the jaws is actually reverse cut. I don't think they make them anymore though. Besides...I'm right-handed anyway.
laugh.gif

How bizzare. I remember an old episode of "Happy Days" that centered around a left throttled bike.

Fonzie was accused of purse snatching & it couldn't have been him as the culprit held the purse high in the air with his left hand.

If you did you would have to also switch the clutch and brake or else you could not ride. Immagine releasing the clutch and giving it throttle at the same time with the same hand. Not possible my friend.

But even if you switched everything, no - don't do it. Way too many reasons not to.

wow...I'm a lefty too but that never even entered my mind....in fact it kind of worries me....don't do it.
rock.gif

I aswell am a leftie, I just think about all those poor right handed riders that have to use their less dominant left hand for clutching. Must be a pain in the ace. I am sure it could be done(the swap)... but I dont see the comfort in it.  
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|Addicted to torque
Reason for Edit: None given...|1071095543 -->

You probably didn't date much as a teenager. I'm right-handed, but could pop a bra strap with either hand, as well as any other tasks I needed a hand while on a date.
laugh.gif

I had a friend who could only do a Frank Constanza (Stop and hold short), only from his left side. It was funny watching him switch sides with a girl.
smile.gif

suprafly - Did you ever get yourself a bike? I remember you've posted quite a few questions, but haven't seen any of your posts dealing with your own new bike.

Just curious...

lol @ all of you fools, and no i don't have one yet. i'm trying to get all the info and such needed before i get one. that way when i do get a bike, it will be perfect.

also, it's only like duh! that the brakes and clutch will be switched as well if the gas is switched! can't expect to do everything with only one hand!

besides, if i did have everything switched, i probably wouldn't have to worry about my bike being stolen!
biggrin.gif
i could run up to the culprit and whack him befor ehe even knew what was going on!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

lol @ sane_man, but did you ever do it without any hands (now come to think of it, most of the broids never wore brassieres anyway!
wink.gif
)???

well, since most of you agreed that i shouldn't switch, then i won't, but list ten reasons why it's a bad idea???
rock.gif

suprafly out...................................

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

suprafly - I don't want to offend you, but why not just learn to ride a bike with normal controls first, and then you can do whatever you want to after that. I don't think you should worry about being right/left handed...it has absolutely nothing to do with riding a bike. A bike requires the coordinated effort of five things: right hand, left hand, right foot, left foot, and the most important one...Your Brain! The last one will either save you, or kill you depending on how you use it.

Here's my list of ten reasons:
1. Major Safety concern.
2. Cost prohibitive.
3. Have to change the clutch lever and lines(longer)
4. Have to change the brake lever and lines.
5. Have to change/re-engineer the throttle cable mechanism.
***Will rotate backwards once it's moved***
6. No-0ne else will be able to ride it...including mechanics.
7. Resale will be difficult, if not impossible.
8. YOU will never be able to ride any other bike due to the reversal.
9. You will have to have both the clutch/brake resevoirs manufactured from scratch, since, if you move them, then they will actually have to be upside down for the levers to be in front of the handlebars.

10. It's just plain stupid. (Sorry to be so blunt)

That was actually easier than I thought it would be.
cool.gif

suprafly - I don't want to offend you, but why not just learn to ride a bike with normal controls first, and then you can do whatever you want to after that.  I don't think you should worry about being right/left handed...it has absolutely nothing to do with riding a bike.  A bike requires the coordinated effort of five things: right hand, left hand, right foot, left foot, and the most important one...Your Brain!  The last one will either save you, or kill you depending on how you use it.

Here's my list of ten reasons:
1.  Major Safety concern.
2.  Cost prohibitive.
3.  Have to change the clutch lever and lines(longer)
4.  Have to change the brake lever and lines.
5.  Have to change/re-engineer the throttle cable mechanism.
       ***Will rotate backwards once it's moved***
6.  No-0ne else will be able to ride it...including mechanics.
7.  Resale will be difficult, if not impossible.
8.  YOU will never be able to ride any other bike due to the reversal.
9.  You will have to have both the clutch/brake resevoirs manufactured from scratch, since, if you move them, then they will actually have to be upside down for the levers to be in front of the handlebars.

10.  It's just plain stupid. (Sorry to be so blunt)

That was actually easier than I thought it would be.
cool.gif
DAMN GOOD LIST!!!

Some of that stuff I didn't even think of...like the throttle working backwards....I was like woah...yeah thats right it would be backwards...

yeah I think its a major stupid idea also.

Since we're getting freaky let's say your signal lights don't work. Signal with your right hand? I don't think so.
rock.gif

I have to give Suprafly at least one for his side for being a good sport.

Jimi Hendrix re-strung his guitar so he could play it left-handed.

Of course, he later died.
laugh.gif

and he was pretty well pickled on drugs his entire adult life.....maybe the pokerface guy over in random thoughts has a left hand throttle???
tounge.gif

You already have a throttle cable on the left with the trottle advance 'choke'. With a bit of plastic work, mod the control housings and swap the grips.

You might have to get new master cylinders for the brake and clutch, though. After that, re-route the lines. The front brakes are easy, but it will be a bit of work re-routing the rear. Of course, you'll need to get a new foot-peg clamp to allow for the rear and re-mount the rear master cylinder, re-route the line over the swingarm to the right side. Now you just need to open the transmission and fabricate a line to operate the gears and clutch. Of course, now you have the little problem on this side, since you need to now pull the clutch instead of push it.

Anyone with a metal fabrication shop and several years of experience building engines from scratch should be able to do this in a day or two.

I pity the fools who say this can't be done!
cool.gif

Back