LED Question

mrnyc01

Registered
Hey guys... done my search but didn't get a definitive answer...

Really simple (I hope)

I have 10 pods of LEDs (4 on each fairing, one in the front and one in the rear). 5 small led's in each pod. What is a better wiring formation.. parallel or serial? I do not have any resistors on there. I am using a inline fuse on the pos side going to the battery and a switch.

your thoughts?

Also.....does it matter that I had wired all the positives together and then all the Neg's together?

Last edited:
@Bigrod...

Thanks.. I wired them together and it kept blowing fuse, burnt some wires.

So I decided to start from scratch. I had them wired like first pic below (except instead of going to batt it was going to harness) Also please disregard the "speakers" Only one I could find to show what I was talking about. All pos side twisted together and soldered and all neg side twisted together and soldered. But I was wonder if it should be like second pic below.. or does it make a diff?

Impedance4.gif

leds%20in%20parallel%20the%20right%20way.jpg

Last edited:
What do you mean went to the harness? Ground them all, connect the hot to all...then switch, in line fuse, then battery. Shouldnt be any issues? Your dealing with a VERY low volt set up. THis is how I have mine set up. Kept all the wire leads short form led to led connection, vs running each led back to a focal point to connect. Less wire means less chance of wire damage.

Also good to attached wire to fairing with apoxy or 3M tape...keep them tight and out of the way of hot parts and ect.

Yep did that...

The harness is connecting the left and right fairings. So I can "unplug" when i take of fairing.

Basically without boring you guys.. I keep blowing a fuse.. not sure why. So the last attempt yesterday when I turn the lights on, they stay on a little wile.. like 30 sec..but I started noticing smoke coming off fairing. One of the pod wires was melting. I will have to draw a diagram to show you what I am talking about later.

Go back and check all your connection to see if you switched them around...meaning somewhere have black to red vs black to black. Simple short is what you have. Or maybe touching each other a the connector by fairing disconnects.

Thanks .. that's what I am in the process of doing.. which leads me back to my orig question. Should I wire in parallel or serial? Or does it matter?

As long as all + are together and all - are together, but not + and -...you will be fine. Its NOT like audio equip where there is an amp/ohm sound signal being passed.

You guys are getting to tech for a simple install. What brand LED kit do you have and what volt is it set up for.

Are you wiring individual LEDs or pod/strips. With pod and / or even strips you may find there are already ohm resisters in the set up. MY hyperstrips my customdynamics ....alread have then in the strips...I can see them.

You guys are getting to tech for a simple install. What brand LED kit do you have and what volt is it set up for.

Here are the specs

-For spot lighting, decoration lighting, path lighting etc...,

-Uses in car, motorcycle, boat, home, garden, computer, electronic toys...

-Each LED pod consisted of 5 LED diode with resistor network built in, no additional circuit modification work necessary

-Using dual layer dies and full side 5mm LED

-All 5 LED lens are extend outside casing for full lighting exposure angle

-Using industry standardize PCB and on board 1/4watts resistor network inline with LED for better heat consumption.

-Extremely low green energy 12Vdc LED lighting product

-Waterproof (not for underwater uses), shockproof, and corrosion resistant

White LED: 12000-14000mcd, 800k, ~30mA, ~0.35w

Temp: ~10F to ~100F

Operating voltage: 12Vdc (max 14Vdc regulated)

(For 120~240VAC environment use an AC to 12Vdc adapter)

Dimensions: 2.38” x 0.38” x 0.63” (6cm x 1cm x 1.5cm)

2 wires output sealed with protection tube

Last edited:
Back