Lawn Mower

busafan08

Registered
I just purchased a new old renovated house that me and the family will be moving in mid August the house is on a corner block and has a fair bit of lawn to mow but not that big as to need a ride on mower as if I need more exercise :D My question is should i buy a electric one or a smelly petrol one PROS and CONS of each please Thanks :thumbsup:

When I retired from the military I worked at The Home Depot in the seasonal dept so I have lots of experience in lawn mowers and their uses.

The modern battery powered mowers are pretty great,
If you get one get at least a 40 volt, Ryobi and Ego make great E-mowers...

Battery powered.
Pros Cons
No gas or oil changes Batteries get weaker over time (will need to replace)
Quiet
Light (easy to push)
Can get self propelled Driving wheels uses power-shortens battery life
Can be stored in any position

Gas powered
Pros Cons
Don't need to wait to charge a battery Need gas and oil changes/spark plug, etc
Power is consistent at all times
Can get self propelled Noisy
Heavy (er)
Requires proper storage or carb will gum up

Yeah I heard the Honda mowers are pretty decent But I am leaning towards a battery one I think :thumbsup:
The battery powered ones are pretty decent, Ego makes a 56 volt unit that is pretty stout...you can get all the other things that use that battery too....whipper snipper, leaf blower, chain saw, etc....

We went to a demo for their products and it was amazing how much power those things have...

I have had both as well, question is how tall do you plan to let your grass grow? My battery powered mower worked well but I mowed every week and would have to charge the battery every other time I mowed. If you keep it manicured you shouldn't have any issues, but if you let it get tall and need power, gas is the way to go. Which gas mower is best, same question as which motorcycle is best, it depends. I would personally go with a gas powered, self propelled Honda, but really if I need a gas mower I may spend a little more and get a small riding mower.

I have had both as well, question is how tall do you plan to let your grass grow? My battery powered mower worked well but I mowed every week and would have to charge the battery every other time I mowed. If you keep it manicured you shouldn't have any issues, but if you let it get tall and need power, gas is the way to go. Which gas mower is best, same question as which motorcycle is best, it depends. I would personally go with a gas powered, self propelled Honda, but really if I need a gas mower I may spend a little more and get a small riding mower.

Thanks mate good info The grass defiantly wont be getting tall around my place as me and the wife like things to be nice and tidy everywhere :thumbsup:

The 56 volt Ego mower will out cut many gas mowers....that thing is seriously powerful....
Thats awesome, I had a 40v model. I bet that would cut well. Technology is always advancing. Maybe by the time I need another one it will operate like a roomba! LOL, that would be a hoot.

The battery powered ones are pretty decent, Ego makes a 56 volt unit that is pretty stout...you can get all the other things that use that battery too....whipper snipper, leaf blower, chain saw, etc....

We went to a demo for their products and it was amazing how much power those things have...
This ;)

I have a Honda. A bit pricey at 750ish but starts in 1st pull every time. The blade shuts off when handle released but engine stays running when emptying the bag is used. When I was looking the discharge chute was a big thing for me. My previous craftsman expelled grass clippings horribly and always got clogged.

I just purchased a new old renovated house that me and the family will be moving in mid August the house is on a corner block and has a fair bit of lawn to mow but not that big as to need a ride on mower as if I need more exercise :D My question is should i buy a electric one or a smelly petrol one PROS and CONS of each please Thanks :thumbsup:
I spend everyday working on mowers and I can say over the last couple years we've been selling more of the electric mowers then we used too and the majority come back with customers complaining that they are junk or that they don't have enough power to cut their longer grass. As afford above of your gonna cut the grass every couple days and your yard is nice and flat and smooth and your gonna make sure to keep the mower nice and clean then electric maybe something you can use but from what I've seen on the service side i wouldn't own one.

I spend everyday working on mowers and I can say over the last couple years we've been selling more of the electric mowers then we used too and the majority come back with customers complaining that they are junk or that they don't have enough power to cut their longer grass. As afford above of your gonna cut the grass every couple days and your yard is nice and flat and smooth and your gonna make sure to keep the mower nice and clean then electric maybe something you can use but from what I've seen on the service side i wouldn't own one.
A couple of my neighbors have them and have had zero issues-they cut every bit as good as the gas one they replaced...of course in our neighborhood we cut our grass pretty often...and these are the Ryobi 40 volt models, the EGO 56 volt is a serious battery powered lawn mower.

I've seen gas lawn mowers not be able to cut some of the thick heavy grass so I guess it all hinges on what kind of grass you are cutting and how often.

Back