Kawasaki may quit Motogp

sullyjones

Donating Member
Registered
As predicted by Edgar Jessop only two days ago, Kawasaki will announce it is to pull out of MotoGP on Thursday morning, leaving John Hopkins and the seemingly luckless Marco Melandri looking for a ride in 2009.

Although it isn't yet known why the firm is withdrawing, the global economic crisis must be more than a factor, especially given the boss of Suzuki has hinted today the firm is in trouble and could be for sale.

Despite the fact Kawasaki Heavy Industries is a massive company, it has never spent anything like the money Honda has on racing and because Japan's economy is in dire straits, non-essential activities are bound to be the first things to go.

This leaves MotoGP with only 17 riders on the grid for next year.
?????????

Yea, and given that Kawi has about as much chance of winning a GP race as my neighbor's doberman why even throw the $$$ at it?

Well.... Maybe they can get a ZX10R on the podium in WSBK, naw, I doubt that too. Another year of Yam and Duc me thinks!

MotoGp is like F1. Without the Advanced Tech in the engines, suspentions, and frames, they're just another racing series. And to lose them to just 2 or 3 Manufactures would be a shame :(

Maybe a spec tire, and NOT GOING all over the World in NON-INTERESTED (for sales that is) Countries might help. I would be happy with just Europe, Japan and Aussie as the tracks. At least, they would be able to save MILLIONS in cost in just that measure. Of course the salarys paid to riders and Crew Tech are enormous. Saving there also. I mean, a cut from 2 to 1 million to a rider is a lot, but on the other hand, where else can you make a MILLION a year riding a motorcycle :whistle: ? I just see alot of ways to cut cost during this time of short $$$$$$$. Better cut cost than cut the series. And with NO or very little competition, the series is for naught :thumbsup:

but car companies aren't pulling out in nascar.
I understand kawi hasnt been that great though the years they have never made wise ideas have they

but car companies aren't pulling out in nascar.
I understand kawi hasnt been that great though the years they have never made wise ideas have they

The Big 3 reported that their $500,000,000 racing budget will be cut by at least 1/2 ! From Fox Sports News last week ! So, yeah, they are cutting cost also. No great shock on this one. Maybe they can direct their attention to making more cars people want to buy :beerchug:

Dear Suzuki Board of Directors,

I hereby submit my application to become your CEO.

I will do my best to do my duty to Suzuki and company
and to obey the Japanese laws (such that they are);
To help others enjoy the benefits of the Hayabusa at all times;
To keep myself physically strong enough to handle this beast,
mentally aware enough to wear ATGATT and morally flexible when necessary.

You know where to reach me. Just check my warranty card. I'll be waiting for your call.

PandaNin

alot of sponsor problems in motogp like any other racing sports, money is tight for sponsor and they do not want to spend alot of money specially for teams that are not sucessful and that is the case for kawi! no sponsor, no money to spend and no money means no participation!

The Big 3 reported that their $500,000,000 racing budget will be cut by at least 1/2 ! From Fox Sports News last week ! So, yeah, they are cutting cost also. No great shock on this one. Maybe they can direct their attention to making more cars people want to buy :beerchug:
yup saw that, Chrysler has already drawn back its support and teams..

Actually, when you look at Kawi's racing results in general, dirt is the only place the've done well in quite a few years. Bubba and Villipoto, now Bubba has moved to Yam, so big green is outa luck except for the kid in SC Lites. Jamie Hacking has been the closest thing to a road race winner in a long time. It just has never appeared that Kawi's heart was really in a serious world level racing organization.

Comparing NASCAR to MotoGP is apples to oranges. Compare the F1 series to MotoGP. NASCAR is not a prototype series.

It will really suck if Kawi does pull out. If they do, its not unreasonable to think Suzuki may follow suit as Suzuki is a much smaller company overall. Then the MotoGP grid will only have 3 brands...

There is a good review in Roadrace World magazine of them riding all the World Superbikes. The Kawasaki was rated lowest because it couldn't transfer the power to the ground, it would wheelie or just spin the tire. If they can't get it right there, how could they in GP.

Back