K8 suspension settings?

Busaphyed

Registered
Hey guys,

My riding style is canyon carving, don't really drag ever. That said, I've noticed some bounce in the suspension coming hard into corners. I'm a 180lb rider looking to sacrifice some Busa comfort for firmer suspension in the corners, anyone dial in some settings for this with my size? If not, any suggestions where I can go to figure this out?

Thank you org!

Search for this thread...Jinkster attacks suspension, it's a gen1 bike but the idea is the same. I'm 175lbs and 195lbs in leathers and have an 08. My forks rebound and compression are both 4 clicks counterclockwise from the hardest setting. My preload is still at stock/3. I PM'd Tufbusa(trackcoach, knows tires and suspension, the man to ask)and ask him what he recommended but I've yet to hear back. I'de like to know if the zero position(hardest) would be too much. I'm trying to get some of the dive out of the front under hard braking.
I'm actually about to set the sag on mine today. The front and rear must each be set properly. If one is dead on and the othe is off, the overall ride will still suffer.:beerchug:

I'm 6'2" @ 250 so ultimately I will end up with new springs and valves, but gotta start somewhere.

Don

Search for this thread...Jinkster attacks suspension, it's a gen1 bike but the idea is the same. I'm 175lbs and 195lbs in leathers and have an 08. My forks rebound and compression are both 4 clicks counterclockwise from the hardest setting. My preload is still at stock/3. I PM'd Tufbusa(trackcoach, knows tires and suspension, the man to ask)and ask him what he recommended but I've yet to hear back. I'de like to know if the zero position(hardest) would be too much. I'm trying to get some of the dive out of the front under hard braking.
I'm actually about to set the sag on mine today. The front and rear must each be set properly. If one is dead on and the othe is off, the overall ride will still suffer.:beerchug:

Sixpack, let me know what tuftbusa writes back to you. I found jinkster's thread, I'll chew into it. Appreciate your setup numbers as well. Yeah, last night on the ride home hit the brakes and she went nose diving, will be nice to tighten that up a bit if possible. Appreciate that help! :cheerleader:

Sixpack, let me know what tuftbusa writes back to you. I found jinkster's thread, I'll chew into it. Appreciate your setup numbers as well. Yeah, last night on the ride home hit the brakes and she went nose diving, will be nice to tighten that up a bit if possible. Appreciate that help! :cheerleader:

Sure, it'll still nosedives some set there, but there won't be a sloppy double bounce on the forks.:thumbsup:

Sure, it'll still nosedives some set there, but there won't be a sloppy double bounce on the forks.:thumbsup:

Good to call on no more sloppy double bouncing forks Six! Keep me posted as you figure out your static/laden sag. I'm a bit nervous undertaking this endeavour, don't want to screw anything up. However know it's a necessity. Sadly it's snowing here in Colo and the garage is too cold for work, mayhaps tomorrow I can turn the wrench.

Good to call on no more sloppy double bouncing forks Six! Keep me posted as you figure out your static/laden sag. I'm a bit nervous undertaking this endeavour, don't want to screw anything up. However know it's a necessity. Sadly it's snowing here in Colo and the garage is too cold for work, mayhaps tomorrow I can turn the wrench.

It's going to have to wait til tommorrow or Monday now, I can't find the rod I had to slide through the frame. I think it's in my folks basement(we're going there tommorrow), I do some wrenching there, in our laundry room, or on the sidewalk...I don't have the luxury of a garage yet:poke::laugh:
I've got tires, brake pads(still waiting for the pads)fork seals, and a few other things to do to.

SDC11345.jpg

Hey Six, thanks for your $.02 here. Being I'm within 5lbs of your weight, I'm going to go with your fork rebound/compression at both 4 clicks from hardest setting. Don't judge my stupidity from these questions please, I'm not getting suspension info through my thick noggin. Clicks = counterclockwise full revolutions (mark the nut) after turning fully clockwise until it stops so I know where to start, am I correct here?

Preload you have at 3, however manual claims stock is at 4? Are you running yours 3 or stock at 4? Rebound ajusters from the top of the bike, compression on the bottom of the fork, right? and four clicks back once set.

Did you mess at all with the rear?

Lastly and again forgive the stupidity :please: You're trying to get your sag numbers, why?

Hey Six, thanks for your $.02 here. Being I'm within 5lbs of your weight, I'm going to go with your fork rebound/compression at both 4 clicks from hardest setting. Don't judge my stupidity from these questions please, I'm not getting suspension info through my thick noggin. Clicks = counterclockwise full revolutions (mark the nut) after turning fully clockwise until it stops so I know where to start, am I correct here?

Preload you have at 3, however manual claims stock is at 4? Are you running yours 3 or stock at 4? Rebound ajusters from the top of the bike, compression on the bottom of the fork, right? and four clicks back once set.

Did you mess at all with the rear?

Lastly and again forgive the stupidity :please: You're trying to get your sag numbers, why?

Nothing stupid about it, and I don't claim to be a suspension guy either.(As you've now found out, some dampning adjusters really do "click" when you turn them too:laugh:) My preload is at 3, but I'm going to try 2, and then 1 and finally 0, also adjusting the damping after each, to try and get some more of the dive out of it.
I did adjust the rear too. I've yet to adjust the spring(hence the sag adjustment) I forget what the dampning is set at on my rear shock though.
I have back problems so I have dramatically softened it over the winter, just to soak up the big bumps cruising around(I don't drag knees in the cold) It's smooth and bouncy now:laugh: but definately loose and sloppy for curves. I'm going to soften the spring and increase the dampning.
I've found that a long screwdriver under the seat and stopping on the side of the road to play with the rear dampning works the best, (and the front too with a 14mm socket for preload) As long as the dreaded double bounce is gone, you're going in the right direction.
There are also 2 great videos by Dave Moss, Introduction to Sportbike Suspension, and Twiddling Knobs(I need to watch mine again). They have countless cool info in them, like how to read tire wear and tell what's wrong with your suspension. Well worth buying.
I will now refuse to talk to you again until you post some more pics of that exhaust!!!!:poke::rofl:I can't wait to get it!!!!

Also read Sport bike Suspension Tuning by Andrew Trevitt. I have read this book cover to cover five times. He does an excellent job of explain suspension of a sportbike. Also make sure to keep a notepad of the changes you make. That way if they do not work you can always go back to the original settings.

Nothing stupid about it, and I don't claim to be a suspension guy either.(As you've now found out, some dampning adjusters really do "click" when you turn them too:laugh:) My preload is at 3, but I'm going to try 2, and then 1 and finally 0, also adjusting the damping after each, to try and get some more of the dive out of it.
I did adjust the rear too. I've yet to adjust the spring(hence the sag adjustment) I forget what the dampning is set at on my rear shock though.
I have back problems so I have dramatically softened it over the winter, just to soak up the big bumps cruising around(I don't drag knees in the cold) It's smooth and bouncy now:laugh: but definately loose and sloppy for curves. I'm going to soften the spring and increase the dampning.
I've found that a long screwdriver under the seat and stopping on the side of the road to play with the rear dampning works the best, (and the front too with a 14mm socket for preload) As long as the dreaded double bounce is gone, you're going in the right direction.
There are also 2 great videos by Dave Moss, Introduction to Sportbike Suspension, and Twiddling Knobs(I need to watch mine again). They have countless cool info in them, like how to read tire wear and tell what's wrong with your suspension. Well worth buying.
I will now refuse to talk to you again until you post some more pics of that exhaust!!!!:poke::rofl:I can't wait to get it!!!!

Hey Six! You pick up that exhaust yet? Sorry to open up an old thread, but had a question. Am running my suspension Front: preload 3.5, rebound/damp both 4 clicks from stiff. Rear: preload STD, 10/7 clicks from stiff. UNBELIEVABLE difference, can take corners "at speed" and she's much much much more solid in those turns. Of course I still want more, so wanted to ask if you experimented dropping that preload any and how that treated you? You were waiting to hear back from tuftbusa, any news? Thanks again man, and if you have that exhause, need pics! :rulez:

Hey Six! You pick up that exhaust yet? Sorry to open up an old thread, but had a question. Am running my suspension Front: preload 3.5, rebound/damp both 4 clicks from stiff. Rear: preload STD, 10/7 clicks from stiff. UNBELIEVABLE difference, can take corners "at speed" and she's much much much more solid in those turns. Of course I still want more, so wanted to ask if you experimented dropping that preload any and how that treated you? You were waiting to hear back from tuftbusa, any news? Thanks again man, and if you have that exhause, need pics! :rulez:

I talked with TufBusa for over a half hour, the man has a wealth of knowledge on suspension, tires, handling, ect. A great guy, very friendly and willing to help...and knows what he's talking about. The bottom line is what I figured...it's what works best for you. Trial and error, I carry a long screwdriver under my seat to reach the rear dampning adjusters. I run the same set of curves(I have a great deserted spot with no driveays or intersecting roads) I adjust my front and rear dampning and tire pressure until I find improvements. After the sag is set that's all you can really do. Tuf pointed out to always make your adjustments on the same road so the suspension is operating on the same conditions.
If I understood correctly adjusting your preload to one or zero, or going that direction is actually raising the front, and keeping your forks from bottoming out by about 10mm at the zero setting. Just carry a 1/4" ratchet and socket to adjust your preload out riding too.
Again if I understood correctly you should also adjust your rebound, and then slowly add compression.
I belive that I understand the basics of suspension set up, and that I have made improvements in mine through trial and error, learning what works best for me.
TufBusa may see this thread and if so he'll help you out. Maybe if I post a bunch of BS he'll jump in and set me straight:laugh:
As for my exhaust, not yet, but soon and I'll have pics. My bike is still apart as the aftermarket fork seals I had looked different than the oem ones. I also read several places after I bought those that they always leak, and to always use oem replacements. So the dealer said they had them, then had to order them. My brake pads ended up back orderd too (bought from Pashnit, he let me know when he found out himself days later, great guy to deal with also).
I should be riding again by the weekend, once I get things adjusted to where I like them I'll tell you where they're at if you'de like to try them. Tuf said he was going to check his and let me know too.:beerchug:

I have my front preload set at 1 turn out from full in and comp at 2 out and rebound at 4 out, I cant remember where my rear is at at the moment and am to lazy to go check, But I think that both are at least about 4 turns in from stock setting

I have my front preload set at 1 turn out from full in and comp at 2 out and rebound at 4 out, I cant remember where my rear is at at the moment and am to lazy to go check, But I think that both are at least about 4 turns in from stock setting

How much do you weigh?

I talked with TufBusa for over a half hour, the man has a wealth of knowledge on suspension, tires, handling, ect. A great guy, very friendly and willing to help...and knows what he's talking about. The bottom line is what I figured...it's what works best for you. Trial and error, I carry a long screwdriver under my seat to reach the rear dampning adjusters. I run the same set of curves(I have a great deserted spot with no driveays or intersecting roads) I adjust my front and rear dampning and tire pressure until I find improvements. After the sag is set that's all you can really do. Tuf pointed out to always make your adjustments on the same road so the suspension is operating on the same conditions.
If I understood correctly adjusting your preload to one or zero, or going that direction is actually raising the front, and keeping your forks from bottoming out by about 10mm at the zero setting. Just carry a 1/4" ratchet and socket to adjust your preload out riding too.
Again if I understood correctly you should also adjust your rebound, and then slowly add compression.
I belive that I understand the basics of suspension set up, and that I have made improvements in mine through trial and error, learning what works best for me.
TufBusa may see this thread and if so he'll help you out. Maybe if I post a bunch of BS he'll jump in and set me straight:laugh:
As for my exhaust, not yet, but soon and I'll have pics. My bike is still apart as the aftermarket fork seals I had looked different than the oem ones. I also read several places after I bought those that they always leak, and to always use oem replacements. So the dealer said they had them, then had to order them. My brake pads ended up back orderd too (bought from Pashnit, he let me know when he found out himself days later, great guy to deal with also).
I should be riding again by the weekend, once I get things adjusted to where I like them I'll tell you where they're at if you'de like to try them. Tuf said he was going to check his and let me know too.:beerchug:

Man, I just noticed that I pretty much said the same thing as last time. At least I'm consistent.:laugh:

Sorry about the seals, good call waiting for OEM replacements :thumbsup: heard the same thing on them, non-oem "can" be ok without leaks, not exactly what we want to hear. Good luck getting her back on the road, I'll load the flathead in the trunk and do some tests this week. Keep me posted on what you find Six, appreciate the info. Macon454, interested in the same question, how much do you weigh? 180 w/o gear here.

Back