Just Picked up my first Hayabusa!

Dbcrusader36

Registered
Hello all! Just picked up my first Busa. Coming from being a HD rider are there any things that I should be doing to get comfortable and good at riding sport bike style? I took the online Yamaha ride like a champion course . Lots of good info but just looking for information. Also are there any track day events close to CT to gain experience?

Keith Code's Superbike School will be in New Jersey in May and August.
The best thing that you can do is have the suspension sag set, have the forks resprung if you're over 200lbs, adjust the levers in/out, up/down, left/right so they feel good in your hands, and your fingers just fall on them so they are easily reached, and practice, practice emergency braking.

Welcome to the org

The best thing that you can do is have the suspension sag set, have the forks resprung if you're over 200lbs, adjust the levers in/out, up/down, left/right so they feel good in your hands, and your fingers just fall on them so they are easily reached, and practice, practice emergency braking.

Welcome to the org
+1 this ^
+ LOTS of seat time
I always say this: 1 bike under 5500 rpm, diff bike +5500 rpm
Congrats! Wear decent gear.

The V twin power delivery is very different compared to an inline four regardless of the cc or ci difference. They have a rev range that’s much higher. Think of hammering even a modified Harley from say, 40 mph in 2nd to 110 or so. You’ve just about run out of motor right? What would your revs be? On a stock Hayabusa at the same speed you’d be shifting into 3rd gear around 10.500 rpm. Helluva difference to keep in mind in the changeover from a Harley or any heavy underpowered cruiser type motorcycle.

Keith Code's Superbike School will be in New Jersey in May and August. The best thing that you can do is have the suspension sag set, have the forks resprung if you're over 200lbs, adjust the levers in/out, up/down, left/right so they feel good in your hands, and your fingers just fall on them so they are easily reached, and practice, practice emergency braking. Welcome to the org
Keith Code's Superbike School will be in New Jersey in May and August. The best thing that you can do is have the suspension sag set, have the forks resprung if you're over 200lbs, adjust the levers in/out, up/down, left/right so they feel good in your hands, and your fingers just fall on them so they are easily reached, and practice, practice emergency braking. Welcome to the org

Welcome to the org
I’d be very interested in going to that course. Is that something you’d ride your own bike on or theirs?

Hello all! Just picked up my first Busa. Coming from being a HD rider are there any things that I should be doing to get comfortable and good at riding sport bike style? I took the online Yamaha ride like a champion course . Lots of good info but just looking for information. Also are there any track day events close to CT to gain experience?
Heartiest congratulations.....!ride safe.

Welcome to the insanity.......

The Hayabusa is just another bike.....respect it and it will respect you...

You don't need any courses or refreshers, this isn't a MotoGP bike.

The best way to get to know it is to ride it, feel it out as to what it likes and doesn't like then adjust your riding style to suit.

Set it up to your liking and then get out in the wind......

I’d be very interested in going to that course. Is that something you’d ride your own bike on or theirs?

You can ride your bike if it passes tech inspection, which will be new/nearly new tires and brakes, lots of safety wire, only certain types of coolant, taped lights(they'll have a list) and full gear that passes tech.
Or, you can pay more and use their gear and bike.
I have never been, but have wanted to for years, as they come an hour away from me at VIR in Va. I have a coworker that goes annually, and he always talks about how good it is.
As @Bumblebee says, this isn't something that you need to do, but it would be a great experience learning from expert level instructors on a closed course.
It's still on my bucket list.

Hello & Welcome …..

For good track time and instructions in the CT / New England area try :

If you want real time / ride with an experienced Busa guy , suit up , gas up and ride with me .

7965EAC8-2F44-4268-B611-283A0EBEB3A9.jpeg

Hello all! Just picked up my first Busa. Coming from being a HD rider are there any things that I should be doing to get comfortable and good at riding sport bike style?

Every spring when I go out I remind myself, "Squeeze the tank with the legs." Do that in perpetuity. You will feel that as soon as the legs are holding tight, a large burden is removed from the back. Concentrate and feel your way through this as weight is removed from the hands. You want no downward pressure whatsoever on the hands, and legs and a strong core will assist with this. Any weight on the hands muddies the steering. The worst case scenario on this bike is going down a steep hill. One slides forward and mashes the bars and all of a sudden one cannot steer at all. I use a big local hill as a constant test for my leg strength. I try to slightly remove my hands from the bars to test that I am putting little or no pressure on them.

Leg lifts are supremely beneficial for sport bike riding and core strength in general. One can do those with a set of saw horses in the garage for example.

The Superbike School is not fond of learning on a Hayabusa. The frequent catastrophic rider errors are excessive braking and excessive throttle. The Hayabusa's torque curve is very high and flat and thus the throttle is just too sensitive while learning one's way around the track. The school likely has newer S1000RR's, with traction control and all of the aids that they want the students to have to mitigate risks.

Last edited:
well not sure what the yamaha course exposed you to but if your coming from a v to inline, just make sure you realize that the inline engine wont slow down like the v,s do when letting off the throttle! this busa will get up REAL fast so make sure you prepared to brake without panicking. because at 100+ youll need the brakes even if you chop the throttle. welcome to the org and enjoy your badboy!

Back