Just one more Busa owners critique of the ZX12

OB_Michael Lee

Registered
I'm with you Dirty Pete, tho it is very easy to compare these two bikes just because of top end preformance there are still two different catagories.
The Ninja will be a FAST sport bike with alot of comfort, handling but a little heavy.
The Busa will be a true Sport Tourer leaning more on the sport-side.
I work at Team Charlotte Motorsports and after looking at the Blue / Silver Busa last week, went ahead and purchased it to be my commuter / tourer. It is more comfortable than the GSXR-1100's I have had in the past, and we all know the preformance of the BUSA.
But I will also purchase a sport bike this year and the ZX-12R or ZX-9 will fit this bill, I just have to see the ZX-12 for myself.
If I can get some kind of confirmation on the GSXR-1000 I will probably hold off and purchase one of those the later part of the year (HOPEFULLY) ! ! !

I went to the bike show last night in NYC. Of course I had to check out the ZX12R first. Hear is my honest opinion. It is a different style bike than the Busa. I have heard other people say this but I didn’t know what thy meant before I saw it. The 12 is put together more like a lightweight sport bike. It is very minimal in its finish. I mean thy have left off much of the dress plastic that the Busa and the XX have. I guess the intention it to save weight. What I can’t understand it why thy dressed it this way. Even with the lack of finish pieces, the four into one exhaust and shorter wheelbase it still comes within 10 Lbs. Of the Busa. That puts it in a heavyweight category. If a bike is going to be on the beefy side, why not give it a finished appearance. Please don’t get me wrong I’m not trying to throw stones. Judging from the specs it should handle better in the twistys and should be a little quicker, only time will tell if that is true. However these thing are accomplished buy the power to weight ratio and a shorter wheelbase, not the few ponds you save by leaving the bike with an unfinished look. I hope I haven’t offended any of the 12 guys out there, it’s just my opinion and opinions are like sugarbritches, everybody has one and thy all stink.

Biged,I was there too last night.To me,the 12 looks nasty.....like a fighter jet.I thought fit & finish was fine.I didn't like the fact that the area around the steering head was open and you could see the wires going into the headlight,other than that I loved it.The bike looks and is small compared to the Busa.I sat on both bikes and the 12 feels significantly lighter too.

Ed I think that's a very fair critique.

The 12r is a big full-sport bike, and has never pretended to be anything else. It really should be compared to the R-1, where it will do better on some parameters and lose on others.

The surprisingly high weight of the 12r comes, I believe, from the frame, which was designed not to save weight but to narrow the bike for top speed and cornering. I saw the cutaway 12 and somathem castings are dang beefy.

Personally I think that with equal riders the ZX12r is going to convincingly beat the Busa on EVERY performance parameter.

But at what cost to rider comfort, resale value, reliability and babe magnetism?

The ZX12 will never hold much appeal for Busa guys. It's like asking the owner of an Aston Martin whether he's be interested in a Callaway Vette.

The answer is "No thank you. I didn't buy my vehicle to hang around Dunkin' Donuts."

Back