Just did my first AFF jump!

Except that I've never felt a 'falling sensation' once out the door. There is always a feeling of weight. Think of it this way; stick your hand out the car window at 100 MPH (or, just ride your bike). There is always wind pressure. Now take that wind pressure and put it directly beneath you - it gives you a feeling of weight, not weightlessness (like inside the airplane if it drops suddenly). The forward airspeed of the jump plane transitions into freefall speed as you leave the aircraft. A common falacy is that you will feel like you are falling - for me, it's more like flying in a high wind. You don't really get ground rush until under about 3000 feet...then it's time to do something about it...

Have done both, I think skydiving is safer than riding. In the air, you only have to worry about you and the other jumpers on the load (leaving out the airplane part). On the road, you have to worry about the road conditions, animals and every other vehicle on the road. However, when something does go wrong, it's usually pretty bad...
+1 always felt like I was flying... felt like mighty mouse :) well till I did my first 360 turn.. small tweak of hand, hmm nothing happening? dip shoulder... oooops flat spin... line twist and a good scare.. time is slightly accelerated :)

OUTSTANDING, CONGRATS on making your first skydive! One heck of a rush, isn't it? I'm always tickled pink to hear of someone else making a skydive. From my first jump in 1991 I've been hooked, and 2500 later I still love it. Included in those 2500:

- Several exotic aircraft, to include a 727 Jet, DC9, C130 (chunked an 18 way off the back deck once); 800+ Blackhawk Helicopter and 4 Chinook Jumps; Super Connie, DC3, bunch of other stuff...

- High Altitude (21K with oxygen)(COLD)

- World Record Attempts in 2000 (300 was the goal - didn't get it but unfreakingbeliveable!)

- My wife (who fell out of the sky and landed at my feet - Literally)

The list goes on and on. This may be heresy, but If I could only do one thing, jump or ride, I'd jump.

Now, go join USPA, start reading the magazine, and ride to the DZ to hang out. Once you've tasted flight, you can never forget it!

By the way, did you AFF instructor tell you that you owe BEER. See, in skydiving, a first in ANYTHING is a BEER debt, and today you had a bunch of firsts.

Oh, and gear: Buy your first rig USED as you will want to downsize after making a few hundred anyway.

P.S. Did you also forget the part about how to FLARE? You can land just like stepping off a chair (unless they wanted you to do a PLF - and if you hurt you probably did it wrong).

Vonderbach, Skydive City (most skydivers call it "Z-hills") is a great drop zone, one of the few full-time DZ's in the country. Been there several times - you'll get spoiled jumping out of Twin Otters or their Skyvan.

YEEEHAW

Pics of my nephew's first tandem, last fall. Sunset.
Thats AWESOME! I would love to do a high altitude jump someday.

I did join the USPA I am member number 232423. :thumbsup:

Nobody said anything about Beer debt. Perhaps they will when I finish my AFF?

No I flared just fine. The guy was guiding me in on the radio the entire time. Its just I stuck my feet out like I was doing another tandem and landed directly on my tail bone. I think its ok though. It feels somewhat better this morning.

Blue Sky's! :beerchug:

Last year we had a guy near where I live make him self a lawn jart..... makes ya stop and think... part of me says it would be cool the other part of me says.... I don't think so...

My USPA member # is 90456

Well don't ask about the beer debt or get nailed for sure, but I'd have some in a cooler nearby the day I thought I was gonna graduate AFF!

Last edited:
I've jumped in Chicago and Nevada.

Nevada was better for far off sight seeing
Chicago was better for the clouds (I know - BAD)

my instructor said it best - "It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on"

To me - it's simply the closest anyone will come to flying (planes excluded)

Wait until you start "tracking" - that's a rush.

Back