Is this legal???

(Charlesbusa @ Mar. 18 2007,21:46) Technically, any modification to the bike at all is illegal in Cali. when you deal with lights, mudflaps, reflectors and exhaust.
Some relevant California Vehicle Codes..

26101 CVC Unlawful to modify any lighting device from original design

25950(a)CVC Lights to the front must be white or amber

25950(b) CVC Lights to the rear must be red (turn signals may be amber)

Here is another one..

26101 CVC Sell, offer for sale or use any device intended to modify the original design or performance of lighting equipment or other device, UNLESS the modifying equipment is DOT approved.

The bottom line here. If the aftermarket lighting equipment does not have a D.O.T. stamp on the front, it's no good for street use. Currently, there is no emissions testing equipment setup for motorcycles. That equipment is coming in the near future. When it does, your motorcycle will be subject to the same vehicle emisisons inspections conducted on passenger vehicles AND subject to violation of 27156(b)CVC (modification to emissions controls). Violators of this section are subject to inspection by a state referee (expensive and time consuming)....

I'm not to sure if this would break CA laws. It's not really a modification from the original design. I guess it's how you read the law. As far as the lights color goes, it's what color the light shines as that counts. If it's a blue cover but shines amber...then they can't nail ya for it. Doesn't mean they won't pull ya over, just means you won't get a ticket from it. *shrugs*

These petty lighting infractions for equipment are only usually CITED for three reasons..

1. The violation is used as PC for an investigative stop

2. You pissed the officer (or deputy) off.

3. The officer has something against bikes-and maybe got beat up a lot in high school.

(lambretta man @ Mar. 19 2007,11:14) These petty lighting infractions for equipment are only usually CITED for three reasons..

1.  The violation is used as PC for an investigative stop

2.  You pissed the officer (or deputy) off.

3.  The officer has something against bikes-and maybe  got beat up a lot in high school.
ices_rofl.gif
Loved the last one!

Illegal in most states. In most states you will get away with it for a while, but i would not chance it.

(BigmanZ @ Mar. 19 2007,07:05) I'm not to sure if this would break CA laws. It's not really a modification from the original design. I guess it's how you read the law. As far as the lights color goes, it's what color the light shines as that counts. If it's a blue cover but shines amber...then they can't nail ya for it. Doesn't mean they won't pull ya over, just means you won't get a ticket from it. *shrugs*
+1

Light is amber.  So as stated by law you are good.

But i'm no legal eagle either.

Most light laws says you cant have lights that flash either, but I see alot of bikes with flashing front lights.
lurk.gif

probably some truth to that.

But yes, if it lights up amber, I don't think they can say it violates the law as it would if, say, the BULBS were blue. Only one way to find out. That being said, I may get a set for my bike. It would really look good with the blue ans silver.

Back