Is it elitist or racist?

It's like that show Southies from Boston (I think)... they have subtitles for us Southerners too!

What about JimTom? Nobody can understand that 'ol coot..

Racist? Is redneck a race? If so, they're losing.. :poke:

Wouldn't the people being subtitled be all Caucasian? I don't see how this can be racist, they are not of any sort of minority group.

Race does not refer to a minority group, but a group:

Race is a classification system used to categorize humans into large and distinct populations or groups by anatomical, cultural, ethnic, genetic, geographical, historical, linguistic, religious, or social affiliation. First used to denote national affiliations, the term began to be used to relate to physical traits in the 17th century. In the early 20th century the term was often used, in a taxonomic sense, to denote genetically differentiated human populations defined by phenotype

Race does not refer to a minority group, but a group:

Race is a classification system used to categorize humans into large and distinct populations or groups by anatomical, cultural, ethnic, genetic, geographical, historical, linguistic, religious, or social affiliation. First used to denote national affiliations, the term began to be used to relate to physical traits in the 17th century. In the early 20th century the term was often used, in a taxonomic sense, to denote genetically differentiated human populations defined by phenotype

Yeah... Like a bunch of dumb blonds - that's racist right? or I hate Krispy Kreme Doughnuts - that's racist too - isn't?

BTW - I love Krispy Kreme - I'm a filthy lying racist hippocrite.

Ok... do the "good ole boys" on the show Moonshiners really need their conversations in english "sub titled".

Now keep in mind I grew up in Roanoke, Va. but can you mid-westerners, new englanders and western residents really not understand english with a southern accent?

Camon y'all, are y'all a bunch MOrons wit cha ears all clogged! ???

I totally see the message you are promoting on the first read. It is my belief based on extensive global observation that the consolidation of languages is very much an agenda item for the powers that be. If the subtitles were not added to the show, people might be able to actually listen and learn how to interpret foreign sounding lingo and maybe go across to a whole new language. The reason those moonshiners speak with such southern accents is because they descend from non-English and very proud people. Whether it be Gaelic tribal languages of the nether regions of Europe or French and Spanish creole, they never found it necessary to function in the homogeneous English derived language prevalent in the USA. The reason they did not feel it necessary to integrate into that language and pronunciation is because their societies were self sufficient and did not depend on mercantile trade outside their geographic area.

I totally see the message you are promoting on the first read. It is my belief based on extensive global observation that the consolidation of languages is very much an agenda item for the powers that be. If the subtitles were not added to the show, people might be able to actually listen and learn how to interpret foreign sounding lingo and maybe go across to a whole new language. The reason those moonshiners speak with such southern accents is because they descend from non-English and very proud people. Whether it be Gaelic tribal languages of the nether regions of Europe or French and Spanish creole, they never found it necessary to function in the homogeneous English derived language prevalent in the USA. The reason they did not feel it necessary to integrate into that language and pronunciation is because their societies were self sufficient and did not depend on mercantile trade outside their geographic area.
great attempt, but I think Argilbertson has you :laugh:

Actually, as non-politically-correct as this is, the simple fact remains that many in this region of the U.S. speak in such a way as a direct result of dropping out of school at a young age. It's lack of education, and that's not saying they're stupid, that's simply stating a fact. I've grown up around it and know people (very well) that never went past the 6th grade. It wasn't because they couldn't hack it, it's because back then, if a kid needed to stop going to school to work for his family, that's what he did. There was no mechanism in place to ensure they stayed in school. As a result, many simply don't know proper English, so the things they say and the way they same them aren't always related to their descendants. It's more about just not knowing any different...

Actually, as non-politically-correct as this is, the simple fact remains that many in this region of the U.S. speak in such a way as a direct result of dropping out of school at a young age. It's lack of education, and that's not saying they're stupid, that's simply stating a fact. I've grown up around it and know people (very well) that never went past the 6th grade. It wasn't because they couldn't hack it, it's because back then, if a kid needed to stop going to school to work for his family, that's what he did. There was no mechanism in place to ensure they stayed in school. As a result, many simply don't know proper English, so the things they say and the way they same them aren't always related to their descendants. It's more about just not knowing any different...

I'm not buying that either. My boss graduated high school, and Tickle makes him look like a genius.. :banghead:

Back