Is a fuel efficent car worth it?...

another "NUMBERS GAME" to me.   I WILL have to buy a newer vehicle sometime soon.  this calculator makes it seems like buying a more fuel efficient car makes no sense.  but if you are buying ANYWAY, what is the difference?  Of COURSE it makes sense.   Of course it does NOT make sense to stop using your current vehicle and "Buy" a more efficient one if yours is working and paid off.  silly.
that's what I got out of it. If you're not shopping for a new car, you don't have a car payment, and the maintenance isn't going to be to high then you might as well stick with what you've got. If you're shopping for a new then hybrids may be something to consider based on your needs.

I can't complain about the tax break I got or the 37 average mpg per year that I get (which i know the manufacturers could improve even more), but I still don't like the car.

zzwhip.gif
AM -->
Red05 @ Aug. 05 2008 said:
1495383[/ATTACH] AM]
I think the real issue is how much fuel we're consuming. Assuming, of course, that we care more about what problems the next generation will face than we do about our personal finances  
poke.gif

laugh.gif
Never crossed my mind. I'm an American and I want my V-8.  
winkold.gif

r8
That's what I'm talkin..

r8

1tundra_013.jpg

zzwhip.gif

NOW is a great time to buy the huge BIG ENGINED SUV you've been dreaming of though. Have you seen the resale and the deals on Tahoe's etc??? They are just about giving them away... So if you don't drive much, and have been wanting a big ole' tank, now is the time...

Of course I am currently saturated with vehicle notes so yeah... No GMC 2500 for me.

HEY!!!! I'm saving almost a 100 bucks a month with my 96 Honda Civic HX vs. my Chevy S10. Vehicle should pay for itself with fuel savings in 18 months! YEAH!!
banana.gif

What really makes sense in tough times is to make do with what you have whenever possible. I think that is pretty difficult for many of us (Big FAIL here for me). If you must have a big tow rig, now seems like a pretty good time to get one. If you must have another vehicle it probably makes sense to buy the most fuel efficient one that can meet your needs, but it's difficult to justify the added expense on a hybrid in many cases.

What really makes sense in tough times is to make do with what you have whenever possible. I think that is pretty difficult for many of us (Big FAIL here for me). If you must have a big tow rig, now seems like a pretty good time to get one. If you must have another vehicle it probably makes sense to buy the most fuel efficient one that can meet your needs, but it's difficult to justify the added expense on a hybrid in many cases.
True enough and I see a lot more bikes out there so folks really do seem to be taking fuel prices and efficiency seriously.

Scary thing though... I see a lot more folks out there wobbling around too... Spooky watching some of them.

for those that want their v8 ....my 05 hemi 1500 HAS a price...just the payoff!
28K miles and bumper to bumper extended to 7/70.

might have to throw it in the "merchandise" thread...

CIMG0273.jpg

CIMG0275.jpg

CIMG0274.jpg

CIMG0272-1.jpg

I'll stick w/ the busa for my commute, gets almost the same mileage as them smart cars, and is alot funner!

At the end of the day if you want more fuel effiency,
Power down hills, coast up and check tyre pressures regularly (Little bit higher then recommended)
And if all else fails...

INSTALL A LIGHTER FOOT/WRIST

There are a few thing not figured into that calculator,
1. maintenance (these new hybrids are an arm and a leg to repair)
2. Hybrids typically only use there "Electric" motor at speeds under 45 mph, over 45 mph they utilize the traditional cumbustion engine. So if you live in a heavily rural area where most all speed limit signs say 45 mph then you are not saving a whole lot of cash. Hybrids are great for Urban areas but are not a value for the vast majority of populized america. In fact most hybrids have worse Highway milage than V8 cylinder cut off trucks.

Back