IPOD MASTERS? Can I get some gouge?

the new itunes should find all your old stuff and just copy it over to your new one. As for an old account, I dont think it will copy it. The copywrite protection will only let you have it on one account.

Josh

the new itunes should find all your old stuff and just copy it over to your new one. As for an old account, I dont think it will copy it. The copywrite protection will only let you have it on one account.

Josh

It was just a new ipod....it wouldn't give me the option to keep the old account. So am I to assume that all the stuff I bought is just gone?

I use ITunes for my MP3 player (not an IPod, but for this, it doesnt matter).
When you import a song into ITunes, it creates a whole new folder for it under ITunes Music, and makes a copy in this location, thus, if you already have an album or something on you HD and then import it into ITunes, it makes a duplicate, so you have to go back and delete the older one if you want to save disc space.

Here is a tip though. If you want to have alot of music, you need to convert to a smaller bit rate. When you rip a CD, the bitrate (quality) is very high. Since I would assume that you are not getting one of those 80 or 120 GB monsters, I would convert to a smaller file size. This does, however, mean lower sound quality. For most people 124kbps sounds just fine, and unless you are listening through a high end system, you cant hear any difference. I personally use 96kbps. Some VERY picky 'sound connesiuers' as I would say can notice a difference, but I cant tell much if any difference through my ear buds. I wouldnt go lower, however, because then it really does end up sounding like crap. But if you go from CD quality down to 96 kbps the ammount of songs you can have is incredible. I went from around 100 songs on a 2G player to about 700 by going with a lower bitrate.

Last edited:
Thanks for the gouge - I did get an 80 gig classic, but mostly because the deal was very good - I figure I will put pics on it and see how that turns out.Thanks for the info on the copy as well - I need to delete a bunch of stuff!MCM
I use ITunes for my MP3 player (not an IPod, but for this, it doesnt matter).When you import a song into ITunes, it creates a whole new folder for it under ITunes Music, and makes a copy in this location, thus, if you already have an album or something on you HD and then import it into ITunes, it makes a duplicate, so you have to go back and delete the older one if you want to save disc space. Here is a tip though. If you want to have alot of music, you need to convert to a smaller bit rate. When you rip a CD, the bitrate (quality) is very high. Since I would assume that you are not getting one of those 80 or 120 GB monsters, I would convert to a smaller file size. This does, however, mean lower sound quality. For most people 124kbps sounds just fine, and unless you are listening through a high end system, you cant hear any difference. I personally use 96kbps. Some VERY picky 'sound connesiuers' as I would say can notice a difference, but I cant tell much if any difference through my ear buds. I wouldnt go lower, however, because then it really does end up sounding like crap. But if you go from CD quality down to 96 kbps the ammount of songs you can have is incredible. I went from around 100 songs on a 2G player to about 700 by going with a lower bitrate.

yeah, having professional dj's for buddies helps ... nothing like taking full advantage of the "off site backup storage" aspects of CD ownership :whistle: :beerchug:

nah, they are pefectly allowed to create digital backups of the media and store them elsewhere, its in black & white in the DRM laws. :beerchug: As long as they can produce either the media or receipt for it if they are ever asked, they are good to go (which they can easily). :thumbsup:

I launched an 18-way out the tailgate of a C130 about 5 years ago, busted all to hell when we hit the airstream but it was a thing of beauty! Man I gotta find that pic!

If I were you, I'd go into my itunes and set it up to rip to MP3 files at 128bits, this will give you near cd quality files that don't take up as much room. You can also copy the mp3 files off of the computer and (share) them easily...note check copyright regs...

I would also set in the settings to have it copy music to your itunes folder, and keep my folder organized.

Once you get into the options you'll see what I mean.

If you already have itunes and you've synched it with your sisters ipod, you need to figure out where those files are and save them to another location. More than likely, when you attach the new ipod, it will notice and say it wants to delete everything that's on the computer. So if you've successfully copied that data elsewear, you can easily re-import it back in.

Good luck.

Sean, I have IPOD classic, I have thousands of pics, dozens of movies and thousands of songs on it. For me, the easiest way for downloading music was download my CD's into my IPOD account, and then manually put together play lists for different moods. The IPOD is great for just about any time you want great music. With the IPOD, you always get the music you want, when you want it.

1st off; I hate Itunes!
Unless you have a mac I would not load Itunes. PITA!
I have mutiple computers, If you sync your Ipod with one pc then another it will erase your music automatically.
I use "Media Monkey" you can get it free from Free Software Downloads and Reviews - Download.com
Very simple to use drag & drop.
keep everyting MP3 , no less then 128kbps
For $99.00 you can get a 500GB USB hard drive. Plug it into any PC and store your music in it.
Media monkey will automatically organize your music for ya:beerchug:

Last edited:
Back