iPhone 4 and Skype.

PADEROLIS

Registered
I just got an iPhone 4 which has Face Time as you may know. I now understand that it only works with other iPhone 4s which means I can't FT(video call) with someone with a different phone; ie Droid, MyTouch etc. I was told I might be able to do this using Skype; does anyone know if this is true? Also I have unlimited data but would I still get charged by AT&T for Skype calling? Thanks for any info.!!

I use Skype on mine to call others but most esp my dad overseas.
Works fine. To my knowledge I've paid no extra for the data or long distance or anything like that. A little slow and not as clear picture wise as FaceTime but it works and my son and father seem to be ok with it. You can Skype anyone who can receive it.

I use Skype on mine to call others but most esp my dad overseas.
Works fine. To my knowledge I've paid no extra for the data or long distance or anything like that. A little slow and not as clear picture wise as FaceTime but it works and my son and father seem to be ok with it. You can Skype anyone who can receive it.

Thank You very much for your response! Do you know if Skype is only limited to phones with front facing cameras or can someone with a rear facing camera use it too for video calling?

Don't think it has as much to do with the camera as it does whether or not the phone itself can video call? I know I could never get it to work on my iPhone 3GS but it works good on the 4. Clarity of picture is ok, on wi fi I think it would be better. I give mine to my son and he sits in his treehouse in back yard and talks to grandpa for hours. It's nice because my son always holds the phone up and says 'Jiddoh' (granddad in Arabic) can you see that turtle. He walks around showing grandpa bugs and stuff so it's nice for us.

Don't think it has as much to do with the camera as it does whether or not the phone itself can video call? I know I could never get it to work on my iPhone 3GS but it works good on the 4. Clarity of picture is ok, on wi fi I think it would be better. I give mine to my son and he sits in his treehouse in back yard and talks to grandpa for hours. It's nice because my son always holds the phone up and says 'Jiddoh' (granddad in Arabic) can you see that turtle. He walks around showing grandpa bugs and stuff so it's nice for us.

That is so cool!! I will definately explore it more, thanks!!:thumbsup:

I know the app called Tango works with my rear camera on my droid x. It works with other phones too. Try it

skype works on the iphone3 with just the rear camera. the downfall is if your looking at their picture their seeing what your phone is pointed at not you. i have my iphone3 and the wife has the iphone4 and we talk back and forth daily from Afghanistan to California, call and video quailty depends on internet connection but works well, also skype now works on the 3G signal in the states.

My daughter wants me to get on it so we can talk . she uses it all the time for her husband in Afgan

Qik is another application which allows you to cross the border with others outside of ATT with the iphone4. Best part it's free.

Back