#$*$&# Internet Explorer Updates

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Why the heck do they put out an update (today) that totally messes stuff up?

I had 5 users today unable to connect to our mainframe (uses IE and Java); spent 3 hours trying to fix, and another 2 hours on phone with tech support (theirs is now failing too)...:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oh, and mine WAS working great, UNTIL I also updated...now I have same problem. Irony is, they wrote the program for IE only, but the only browser currently working is Firefox :banghead::banghead:

It's usually the security settings that get changed. You can use registry to change them via GPOs for many users.

Get away from Internet Explorer and get Google Chrome or Firefox. Much, much better and they're not constantly updating and screwing things up. I had a lot of problems with IE here at the station until I switched everyone over to Google Chrome, works great now. I hate IE!

Fireman, while I won't argue the point of screwing everything up, you should know that Chrome automatically updates itself whenever there is an update published by Big Broth...(Er, I mean Google) and you have no option to turn that off. At least with IE you can reject the updates (at your own peril).

Regardless of this, I do believe Chrome is the superior browser.

--Sky

My application does not work with Chrome - even their tech support agrees it won't. Right now I'm stuck with FF.

Even my FF app has problems once you get to Java 1.7; right now I'm having to clear the java cache every time to even get it to work in FF grrrrrrr....I've had to personally install FF (set the page, clear security settings, etc.) on about 5 machines so far so ppl could connect...:banghead::banghead:

I actually had problems with the last Java update. Broke about 60% of our internal apps. Rolled back to the old version of Java and everything was fine. What a PITA though!

I'm another Chrome convert. Was having all kinds of troubles with IE, went to Firefox, which worked good for a while then started having as many (though different) problems as IE. Went to Chrome, and after figuring out that it was a female program and making it my primary, #1 and only browser, everything has worked smoothly ever since.

Back